Blue Devils 2018

2 hours ago, mboogey73 said:

Yeah.  Music is great.  I still can't get pass the lack of anything significant visually.  If BD put out a show with a visual design like that the haters would be blowing the board up.  

That's quite a statement for a Michael Gaines show.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I still don’t understand what SCV is really going for, their concept gets completely lost from me past the uniforms, and I imagine a lot of the audience does not understand the story or concept either but still enjoy it because of the music. 

I imagine a lot of the audience does not understand the story or concept of what anyone's doing this year. IMO it's gotten so out of control with concepts and storylines. I don't even bother learning what 90+% of shows are about. It's just not worth the time and energy. I did this year with SCV because the show is so #### cool I wanted to know more. To me, it is by far the best designed show of the year. It's exciting, fresh, innovative and we haven't seen it before. BD is great. They always are. I believe BD and SCV will be top 2 at finals. I hope to see SCV win since it's been so long.

I do not believe at all Bluecoats are leading the pack. They are beating the current 5th and 6th place corps by 1.75 points. That's not an enormous margin. SCV and BD flip-flopped victories. SCV beat the 2017 Champion. Blue Devils beat the 2017 runner up. To me that carries a lot more weight than beating the corps that are 5th and 6th right now (and I don't care what anyone says, Cavaliers are ahead of both Crown and BAC right now). 

I think at season's end SCV, BD and Cavies will be the top 3.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, dans said:

I can't get past the uniforms...yuck!

I LOVE SCV's uniforms. When I first saw them I was like WTF? Now I think they are just so cool, urban and different.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mboogey73 said:

Yeah.  Music is great.  I still can't get pass the lack of anything significant visually.  If BD put out a show with a visual design like that the haters would be blowing the board up.  

To me they are killing it visually. I've watched videos of the show a few dozen times already and I always see something new. There is so much going on and it all works so well together. It's just so exciting, especially the guard book. 

I am not usually the biggest BD fan but I love their show this year too. 

Bay Area has the two best corps :)

14 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I imagine a lot of the audience does not understand the story or concept of what anyone's doing this year. IMO it's gotten so out of control with concepts and storylines. I don't even bother learning what 90+% of shows are about. It's just not worth the time and energy. I did this year with SCV because the show is so #### cool I wanted to know more. To me, it is by far the best designed show of the year. It's exciting, fresh, innovative and we haven't seen it before. BD is great. They always are. I believe BD and SCV will be top 2 at finals. I hope to see SCV win since it's been so long.

I do not believe at all Bluecoats are leading the pack. They are beating the current 5th and 6th place corps by 1.75 points. That's not an enormous margin. SCV and BD flip-flopped victories. SCV beat the 2017 Champion. Blue Devils beat the 2017 runner up. To me that carries a lot more weight than beating the corps that are 5th and 6th right now (and I don't care what anyone says, Cavaliers are ahead of both Crown and BAC right now). 

I think at season's end SCV, BD and Cavies will be the top 3.

I am confused by what you mean by “best designed.” I think too many people make that synonymous with what entertains them or the rest of the audience personally. Is it that? Or clarity of concept? Amount of difficulty and how much of that is attained? (These are more directed to @MikeRapp than you as he shares a similar sentiment as you do but he is much less enthusiastic about BD’s design). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I am confused by what you mean by “best designed.” I think too many people make that synonymous with what entertains them or the rest of the audience personally. Is it that? Or clarity of concept? Amount of difficulty and how much of that is attained? (These are more directed to @MikeRapp than you as he shares a similar sentiment as you do but he is much less enthusiastic about BD’s design). 

Ok, "best designed" wasn't a good statement to make. When I saw Bluecoats for the first time in June 2016, I said to my friend I was with, "If they don't have any major execution problems they will win." Well, they did, and they won on design alone. Of course, they had the execution skills to back up the design, but Blue Devils and Crown had those execution skills as well in 2016. It came down to design - Bluecoats gave us something new and fresh. I feel the same way about Vanguard's show this year. It is so fresh, innovative, exciting, like nothing we've seen before, and there's so much going on without being destructive. It is a GE judges dream, IMO. When you're talking about the top groups they all have what it takes to put down a championship execution. Design takes it to another level. I think Vanguard has that other level this year, over anyone else I've seen, including BD. BD is just magnificant and I cannot image them placing lower than 2nd. The show just works so well, and of course the talent is there. You look back at years (2008, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2017) and the champions differentiated themselves from the leading pack by giving us something new and exciting. In 2018, that's Vanguard IMO.

Edited by queenanne_1536

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

That's quite a statement for a Michael Gaines show.

It’s not too scandalous of a thing to say. This isn’t the Gaines drill of old. It’s absolutely nothing like what he did at Cavies. Gaines realized this is a different era in drum corps and he designed it to this era. 

Watch the show on high cam. The corps is constrained to the front half of the field between the 20-30 yard lines. Much of the show is comprised of scatter sets and running around and on the props. There isn’t anything significant to the visual design, but it is fast paced and has moments that invite the audience to get engaged (the backflips, the horn snap, the dance break). I would not say it’s a particular exciting visual program, but the music and constant pace makes it a fun show. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

It’s not too scandalous of a thing to say. This isn’t the Gaines drill of old. It’s absolutely nothing like what he did at Cavies. Gaines realized this is a different era in drum corps and he designed it to this era. 

Watch the show on high cam. The corps is constrained to the front half of the field between the 20-30 yard lines. Much of the show is comprised of scatter sets and running around and on the props. There isn’t anything significant to the visual design, but it is fast paced and has moments that invite the audience to get engaged (the backflips, the horn snap, the dance break). I would not say it’s a particular exciting visual program, but the music and constant pace makes it a fun show. 

besides his DCI stuff, his Japanese attempts usually have something memorable. I don't disagree with your comments though.

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Ok, "best designed" wasn't a good statement to make. When I saw Bluecoats for the first time in June 2016, I said to my friend I was with, "If they don't have any major execution problems they will win." Well, they did, and they won on design alone. Of course, they had the execution skills to back up the design, but Blue Devils and Crown had those execution skills as well in 2016. It came down to design - Bluecoats gave us something new and fresh. I feel the same way about Vanguard's show this year. It is so fresh, innovative, exciting, like nothing we've seen before, and there's so much going on without being destructive. It is a GE judges dream, IMO. When you're talking about the top groups they all have what it takes to put down a championship execution. Design takes it to another level. I think Vanguard has that other level this year, over anyone else I've seen, including BD. BD is just magnificant and I cannot image them placing lower than 2nd. The show just works so well, and of course the talent is there. You look back at years (2008, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2017) and the champions differentiated themselves from the leading pack by giving us something new and exciting. In 2018, that's Vanguard IMO.

I’m really not too sure SCV is doing anything different than what Bloo has been doing since 2016 honestly. The prop use, the staging, dance breaks, high energy solos, jazz runs to sets. 

Maybe im just not seeing what everyone else is seeing. I love SCV’s show, but it’s for the music, not the visual program

• Thanks 3