Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

8 hours ago, INT72 said:

One simple question: When are they going to stop using last years drums?:blink:

Its a funny thing, but this has happened at least the last three seasons. SCV uses last years drums for first part of season, then get new ones. Its puzzling because if anyone has the clout to get new drums ASAP, it would be SCV and Rennick.  I wish I knew why this was. 

51 minutes ago, quietcity said:

Its a funny thing, but this has happened at least the last three seasons. SCV uses last years drums for first part of season, then get new ones. Its puzzling because if anyone has the clout to get new drums ASAP, it would be SCV and Rennick.  I wish I knew why this was. 

can't rush perfection

55 minutes ago, quietcity said:

One possible reason- beat up a set when things don't mean as much then have fresher equipment for the end game than one's opponents and have the time to shake it down. That sounds pretty smart to me.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BigW said:

One possible reason- beat up a set when things don't mean as much then have fresher equipment for the end game than one's opponents and have the time to shake it down. That sounds pretty smart to me.

As a horn player, I know little about drums. Do they really get so beat up during the season that it would impact performance? Seems like a quality-control issue!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, quietcity said:

As a horn player, I know little about drums. Do they really get so beat up during the season that it would impact performance? Seems like a quality-control issue!

Working with scholastic programs, talking to one of the corps that are guinea pigs for System Blue, yes, they do take a lot of wear and tear. A lot of stresses are put on shells and the various, in some cases, composite material components. Marching percussion's been in a state of heavy development for years where they're trying new designs, using new materials. The best place to find out what can work and hold up in a scholastic environment is where they take the hardest use.  Right now, SB's stuff, for instance is designed to be very light- somewhere around 20-35 percent lighter than a more normal drum. With lightness... well, ask Lotus or the design team for the Mitsubishi Zero about the disadvantages of building something lightweight as well as the advantages. :innocent:

Heck, even some of the newer marching brass instruments are having build issues because they're trying to build a lighter horn. With the kind of shows they do, lugging what was standard issue even 20 years would be insane.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, quietcity said:

They can and it's not just quality control. Lugs, rods, the guts, the shells.....being in the sun, the rain, a truck,...all kinds of things even the best quality control cant handle

• Thanks 2

On 7/2/2018 at 9:44 PM, kinetic inferno11 said:

Very nice video from a guard member. Talks about overcoming a language barrier just like the show describes. So cool that he gets to spin with SCV!

Congratulations on marching with Santa Clara Vanguard this year. What an amazing show! 

• Like 2

Bump! Keep up the great work Santa Clara!

What are thoughts on new closer? From the videos, the music is great, but the ending seems tacked on and not that well integrated. I am wondering if there is more to come.

8 minutes ago, quietcity said:

What are thoughts on new closer? From the videos, the music is great, but the ending seems tacked on and not that well integrated. I am wondering if there is more to come.

There is a video of them playing the full closer at Stanford. A chunk is not on the field right now and it's the best chunk IMO so I hope that is planning on being added.