Santa Clara Vanguard 2018

That horn snap at the ballad before the push had me in front of the computer screaming “that’s how you do it!!”.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alzam81 said:

That horn snap at the ballad before the push had me in front of the computer screaming “that’s how you do it!!”.. 

That full impact caught me by surprise (I'm not sure why; the horns were up) and sent chills all down my spine. I had to rewind after the ballad was over to make sure the moment is just as chills-inducing when expected....yep. Raw power.

• Like 1

My reaction exactly! That snap and the following big horn hit is one of those drum corps moments that zaps my lizard brain. 

I wonder when we are going to see the rest of the closer - because that amazing mello part wasn't in last night. It looked like a chunk i heard at Stanford (standstill) is either being taken out or isn't in yet.

15 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I wonder when we are going to see the rest of the closer - because that amazing mello part wasn't in last night. It looked like a chunk i heard at Stanford (standstill) is either being taken out or isn't in yet.

Much as I adore that part, it could have been yanked for time.

I clocked it last night. First downbeat to last cut-off last night was 11:50. If I recall correctly, they re-jiggered timings so that you had 13 minutes, and you could apportion up to 2 of those before the announcement, but I don't remember for sure how that works (i.e. if it would push the announcement up earlier in their block of time on the field, which would give them more time on the back end).

If I'm remembering wrong, they're about 20 seconds long as the show currently stands. They could move some of the stuff before the first hit (the pit feature with the guard dance on top of the stages, unfurling the towers the first time, etc.) to a pre-show, but then you'd lose the non-GE captions being judged on those parts (and those are good parts).'

Anyone know/recall more about the timings of things who can corroborate?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Much as I adore that part, it could have been yanked for time.

I clocked it last night. First downbeat to last cut-off last night was 11:50. If I recall correctly, they re-jiggered timings so that you had 13 minutes, and you could apportion up to 2 of those before the announcement, but I don't remember for sure how that works (i.e. if it would push the announcement up earlier in their block of time on the field, which would give them more time on the back end).

If I'm remembering wrong, they're about 20 seconds long as the show currently stands. They could move some of the stuff before the first hit (the pit feature with the guard dance on top of the stages, unfurling the towers the first time, etc.) to a pre-show, but then you'd lose the non-GE captions being judged on those parts (and those are good parts).'

Anyone know/recall more about the timings of things who can corroborate?

I was told by another director that there really isn't a maximum length anymore (just a minimum). It's all just a matter of getting on and off the field within your allotted 18 minutes. But that may have just been in response to my question about whether they had a pre-show section or not.

Edited by brassboy
  • Like 1

I say this is Phantom 03-08 balls music with Cavies drill 00-11 and I love it

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I say this is Phantom 03-08 balls music with Cavies frill 00-11 and I love it

Mixed with vintage Vanguard showmanship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

I say this is Phantom 03-08 balls music with Cavies frill 00-11 and I love it

1 hour ago, Sideways said:

Mixed with vintage Vanguard showmanship.

Mixed with 1980-1990s blue devils/scouts/other screamers, 2010s blue devils staging, 2014-current bluecoats electronics, and probably other influences I’m missing. The production is a really neat fusion of new and great things from DCI’s past. 

• Like 3

Yep I'm more and more on board with this show the more I hear it. That ballad is to die for, as is the rest of this show

• Like 2