Phantom Regiment 2018

8 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I think this show is an improvement, for sure. but I don't understand the point of the props. CAn anyone explain, please?

In the pdf description that was posted earlier, I really liked the description of the musical selections, but I didn't find the right half of the page (including visual elements, props) all that helpful. 

Ok, from an oldster (alum) but a realist. Yes, this is a step in the direction of the activity however, there are corps that jumped head first into this direction years ago and thus, (IMO) unless the Regiment were to do something completely dramatic and off the charts with their design, they will likely remain (I hate using this term) slotted between 8 and 10.

You can't look at scores from different shows and say, 'were right there with Blue Knights'. Blue Knights are one of the corps that are 'all in' and I predict, after seeing them (BK) last Saturday, they will (unfortunately) finish ahead of Regiment.

I'm hoping for the best! 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 5:25 PM, Rocketman said:

Ok, from an oldster (alum) but a realist. Yes, this is a step in the direction of the activity however, there are corps that jumped head first into this direction years ago and thus, (IMO) unless the Regiment were to do something completely dramatic and off the charts with their design, they will likely remain (I hate using this term) slotted between 8 and 10.

You can't look at scores from different shows and say, 'were right there with Blue Knights'. Blue Knights are one of the corps that are 'all in' and I predict, after seeing them (BK) last Saturday, they will (unfortunately) finish ahead of Regiment.

I'm hoping for the best! 

Phantom is historically, on average, a middle of the top 12 corps. Being 8-10th is not too far off for them

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Phantom is historically, on average, a middle of the top 12 corps. Being 8-10th is not too far off for them

But they shouldn't be!!

• Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 6:22 AM, zachariaswmb said:

Looking forward to the next time Regiment and BK meet up. They’ve been neck and neck in separate shows, and it’ll be great to get a read side by side. 

After seeing Blue Knights on Saturday, I think that their show is a decent notch above Regiment's in sophistication and execution.

It's really beautiful and subtle, I really enjoyed it. I think that Regiment should be more worried about Mandarins - they were hot!

Gonna be interesting when all these corps meet up, that is for sure.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tim_brandt said:

After seeing Blue Knights on Saturday, I think that their show is a decent notch above Regiment's in sophistication and execution.

It's really beautiful and subtle, I really enjoyed it. I think that Regiment should be more worried about Mandarins - they were hot!

Gonna be interesting when all these corps meet up, that is for sure.

I would agree with this. I'm not surprised Blue Stars beat them last night. I expect that to continue. I also think Crossmen might top Regiment too, which puts them 11th. I've seen a recent video of Regiment and I just don't understand a couple things. Hoping someone could guide me.

1. Props. I'm not sure if there's a point to them other than just having props on the field. They don't do anything compelling or interesting with them. I assume more is coming? Can someone tell me what their purpose is?

2. The tarp across the front of the field. I dont' understand this design choice either. Again, nothing intersting or compelling happens. The rifle work within the snare line could be interesting and effective, but it really isn't.

I think this is a step in the right direction when it comes to modern design, but having modern elements itself isn't enough. It has to be interesting, innovative, and effective. 

I think Regiment should revisit The Ring, but this time just doing The Valkyrie (with the Ride of the Valkyries this time). Really modernize it. Great and interesting props and I can see a beautiful flag feature for the Magic Fire Music.

28 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I would agree with this. I'm not surprised Blue Stars beat them last night. I expect that to continue. I also think Crossmen might top Regiment too, which puts them 11th. I've seen a recent video of Regiment and I just don't understand a couple things. Hoping someone could guide me.

1. Props. I'm not sure if there's a point to them other than just having props on the field. They don't do anything compelling or interesting with them. I assume more is coming? Can someone tell me what their purpose is?

2. The tarp across the front of the field. I dont' understand this design choice either. Again, nothing intersting or compelling happens. The rifle work within the snare line could be interesting and effective, but it really isn't.

I think this is a step in the right direction when it comes to modern design, but having modern elements itself isn't enough. It has to be interesting, innovative, and effective. 

I agree with all your points. I am an alumni, a Phan through and through. But, what I see so far is design in the right direction, but it's missing some moments.

Some are cut short and need embellishment, in my opinion. Hopefully, that all comes together for them. But, when I watch the other corps in their tier, they are selling their moments and executing very well. That is just calling a spade a spade. Also, I noticed that corps like Mandarins who give the crowd what they are craving are very successful.

What goes around, comes around. This show might just be a little too high brow, needs to open up with some more moments that connect with the crowd.

This is still only early July, and this is just my opinion at the moment, please don't flame me. As always, the kids are performing the bejesus out of their shows, as with all corps. 

The overall quality level of drum corps just keeps going up, and everyone's a winner there, especially the performers.

40 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

One thing I thought of, looking at the props is that they could set up a really cool moment, ala '95 with the frames. I could see all the playground equipment lined in an arc with the corps staged on it in various ways, playing the last chord in 'coming home'. In my opinion, that would be a beautiful moment. 

Just a thought.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tim_brandt said:

I agree with all your points. I am an alumni, a Phan through and through. But, what I see so far is design in the right direction, but it's missing some moments.

Some are cut short and need embellishment, in my opinion. Hopefully, that all comes together for them. But, when I watch the other corps in their tier, they are selling their moments and executing very well. That is just calling a spade a spade. Also, I noticed that corps like Mandarins who give the crowd what they are craving are very successful.

What goes around, comes around. This show might just be a little too high brow, needs to open up with some more moments that connect with the crowd.

This is still only early July, and this is just my opinion at the moment, please don't flame me. As always, the kids are performing the bejesus out of their shows, as with all corps. 

The overall quality level of drum corps just keeps going up, and everyone's a winner there, especially the performers.

Yeah, I agree with you. Corps are just getting better and better. I guess we all win, like you said. I definitely like this years show better than last year, but would agree they need to do something to sell it more. I remember the first time I ever saw Regiment - in '84, and from the first second of that show I was blown away. I could say that about many many Regiment shows over the years, but really haven't felt that way about them since 2012. Sometimes you have to take a couple steps backwards to move forwards. Whether they place 8th or 12th I think they are heading down the right path with this show.