Phantom Regiment 2018

1 hour ago, phd-student-TTU said:

You say that like they can afford a top notch staff. 

This right here. Corps like SCV, BAC, and BD are very financially sound. 

Star of Indiana showed us what money can do, and those three corps above are modern day examples that principle. It seems like PR had other problems other than money, but I don’t think we can just pretend like it isn’t a big factor in their inability to bring in big names. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, I feel it has been less about the $$$$$ and more about the direction/stagnation. Thus, if 'top notch arranger Bob' were interested in Regiment, he would see a corps that has (for the most part) resisted change and put out non-competitive products for the last 5+ years. Why would Bob want to be associated with that?

They are not 'state of the art'. They haven't done anything recently (other than hoodies) that makes you think they have turned the corner. You are either advancing or you are left behind. Right now, they could be headed for a double digit finish.

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

Unfortunately, I feel it has been less about the $$$$$ and more about the direction/stagnation. Thus, if 'top notch arranger Bob' were interested in Regiment, he would see a corps that has (for the most part) resisted change and put out non-competitive products for the last 5+ years. Why would Bob want to be associated with that?

They are not 'state of the art'. They haven't done anything recently (other than hoodies) that makes you think they have turned the corner. You are either advancing or you are left behind. Right now, they could be headed for a double digit finish.

Yes, but you could say the same thing about Santa Clara when Paul Rennick left Regiment for there after 2010 (SCV finished in the 5-8 range for much of the prior decade), then JD Shaw left for there after 2011. Now, the SCV director at the time was Jeff Fiedler, so perhaps there was reason for hope, but SCV wasn't swimming in $$$ at the time, as far as I know. Those two guys left a really competitive (though perhaps tenuous) situation at Regiment for something uncertain at SCV, and now they're competing for titles like they did at Regiment. 

SCV in 2010 is not the same as PR in 2018, but I'm not sure why it can't be done in Rockford. It'll take a big commitment, and perhaps new leadership. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

Wouldn’t you say Boston is a corps that was stagnating? They were coming off a year almost being kicked out of finals! 

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Wouldn’t you say Boston is a corps that was stagnating? They were coming off a year almost being kicked out of finals! 

But their foundation was already in place then.  Not everything was final, but the board knew what they could provide the corps.

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

Yes, but you could say the same thing about Santa Clara when Paul Rennick left Regiment for there after 2010 (SCV finished in the 5-8 range for much of the prior decade), then JD Shaw left for there after 2011. Now, the SCV director at the time was Jeff Fiedler, so perhaps there was reason for hope, but SCV wasn't swimming in $$$ at the time, as far as I know. Those two guys left a really competitive (though perhaps tenuous) situation at Regiment for something uncertain at SCV, and now they're competing for titles like they did at Regiment. 

SCV in 2010 is not the same as PR in 2018, but I'm not sure why it can't be done in Rockford. It'll take a big commitment, and perhaps new leadership. 

Now isn't the head of ship at Regiment the former director of Vanguard whom Fiedler replaced?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rocketman said:

DBcUtoo_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

10 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

You say that like they can afford a top notch staff. 

You'd be surprised how little disparity there is among the finalist corps. The staffs all talk - they know about what others are getting paid, and with a few exceptions , the arrangers and top show management at the lower placing corps are in the same general range as the top 7 or 8. In the end, really good ideas don't cost any more than really dull ideas, but really dull ideas (like this year's PR show) can definitely extract a toll.

Regiment had a programming formula that worked for literally decades, but it doesn't anymore. The aftermath of this season will be an opportunity for them to go big and go weird and surprise people into paying attention to them again, but no one will if they stay with the same conservative approach they've been using.  

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

. The aftermath of this season will be an opportunity for them to go big and go weird and surprise people into paying attention to them again, but no one will if they stay with the same conservative approach they've been using.  

I believe its an inaccurate portrayal however to suggest that Phantom Regiment of the last 2 seasons has had " a conservative approach ". I frankly don't see that in music, attire, headgear, Guard, Corps colors,  decisions etc made there at all. Oh well. if going " weird " is your suggestion for Phantom Regiment stylistically to improve, then I suppose I'd say good luck to Phantom Regiment if they decide to take up your suggestion " go weird " on us. Not sure thats the answer to less than satisfying audience response to their shows of late, nor to more satisfying responses from the judges in the near future than what they've received from the judges of late. The Madison Scouts went VERY modern and very" weird" in music, colors, attire, theme, vibe, etc last season and it did not move the applause meter one iota with most fans, and not much with the judges numbers either.  I don't pretend to know what Phantom Regiment needs to do to get the excitement back with fans/ judges alike. But going " weird " on us, doesn't seem like a winning formula for Phantom Regiment either in the future to me... But.. who knows.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 4