Phantom Regiment 2018

Well you certainly are entitled to your opinion. I think the judges are taking a different view. 

28 minutes ago, EricS said:

IMO the writing is cliche, same ole formula based on someone else's shows.  It is disjointed and a bunch of phrases just stuck together.  And I am so tired of a short intro with then a little ditty passed around to the different voices.  How many time has this been done when it seems like they are trying to fill in some time.. And it's time to write out the soloists.

The corps is sounding much better and marching much better.  

It really lacks effect. As of now, anyway.

• Like 1

After watching the Minnesota performance on YouTube, I have three thoughts:

1.) There are simply no goosebump moments at all in this production. I couldn’t get any sense of what the show is trying to convey. The general effect is on par with a BOA performance

2.) Half the show is percussion, pit, and solos or small groups, as though the full ensemble can’t pull off marching and playing at the same time

3.) The designs are simplistic, well below their ability, and the guard isn’t consistent in the most basic of abilities, such as uniform flag movement. Like most of you, the set pieces seem to be present as an end unto themselves.

Is it a step in the right direction? At the moment, I’m not even sure what direction this is, but it isn’t at all what the corps is capable of accomplishing.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1

I spent some time looking through comments on Youtube videos of this show. What I was surprised to see is that rather than the consistently negative commentary you find on most youtube videos, there was actually quite a number of people expressing how much they enjoy this show. Granted this was definitely not unanimous, with many pointing out the visual design and guard are subpar, but it is good to see people showing some positive feelings toward Phantom. 

I have to agree with them, I really enjoy the musical program of this show and very little of the rest of it.

1 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I spent some time looking through comments on Youtube videos of this show. What I was surprised to see is that rather than the consistently negative commentary you find on most youtube videos, there was actually quite a number of people expressing how much they enjoy this show. Granted this was definitely not unanimous, with many pointing out the visual design and guard are subpar, but it is good to see people showing some positive feelings toward Phantom. 

I have to agree with them, I really enjoy the musical program of this show and very little of the rest of it.

I have to agree with your comments on the music - when they are actually playing. The one thing that seems consistent is the musical choices and the thick, meaty sound that drew most of us to love this corps. My favorite recent shows, based solely on music, were 2016, 2010 and 2007, even though they were not the highest ranking seasons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

I have to agree with your comments on the music - when they are actually playing. The one thing that seems consistent is the musical choices and the thick, meaty sound that drew most of us to love this corps. My favorite recent shows, based solely on music, were 2016, 2010 and 2007, even though they were not the highest ranking seasons.

Can't agree with you on 2016 but 2010 and 2007 were some of my favorites. 2003 and 2014 (I know, not a popular choice) are in my favorites as well. 

They've gotten back to the Phantom sound a bit this year, I'm loving every minute of it

45 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

2 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

Can't agree with you on 2016 but 2010 and 2007 were some of my favorites. 2003 and 2014 (I know, not a popular choice) are in my favorites as well. 

They've gotten back to the Phantom sound a bit this year, I'm loving every minute of it

That opening hit in 2010 and Firebird in 2007 are drum corps nirvana. Give 2016 another spin around the block if it’s been a while. It’s a hidden gem (maybe not for everyone).

22 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Well, I don't think it sucks but I think it's just flat. Some of the Symphony No. 9 parts are beautiful, but there's really no highs in this show for me - it's just kind of flat. There's not one moment where I get excited. Plenty where I think it's beautiful, but it isn't enough. Still, this show is a step in the right direction. More modern than years past, but I still don't get  the point of the props and the tarp. Not much really effective happens with them. 

Yeah, I think that flat is a fair assessment. It kind of just sits there, it's missing memorable moments, which I believe we are all sort of saying.

Given the material to work with, that's a bummer. But, given the material to work with, it's never to late to add some tags / changes.

Otherwise, I'm afraid they are gonna have a rough go of it competitively, given the strength of those around them. 

I really hate being negative when it comes to anything, this is all said out of love.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tim_brandt said:

22 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Well, I don't think it sucks but I think it's just flat. Some of the Symphony No. 9 parts are beautiful, but there's really no highs in this show for me - it's just kind of flat. There's not one moment where I get excited. Plenty where I think it's beautiful, but it isn't enough. Still, this show is a step in the right direction. More modern than years past, but I still don't get  the point of the props and the tarp. Not much really effective happens with them. 

Yeah, I think that flat is a fair assessment. It kind of just sits there, it's missing memorable moments, which I believe we are all sort of saying.

Given the material to work with, that's a bummer. But, given the material to work with, it's never to late to add some tags / changes.

Otherwise, I'm afraid they are gonna have a rough go of it competitively, given the strength of those around them. 

I really hate being negative when it comes to anything, this is all said out of love.

I don’t think you are being negative. You are just being truthful. I think most of us in this group have had really high hopes for PR over the years, and it can be tough to be realistic about their competitiveness.

• Like 1

If I could point to one opportunity, it would be for them to stop filling so many staff slots with their own young alumni. It’s hard to grow and mature when much of the leadership’s experience is confined to historical PR. That formula is safe and comfortable, but safety and nostalgia are not rewarded in competitive activities.

All that said, I sure do love Phantom. I’d walk away from the activity before I could support a different corps.

• Like 4