Phantom Regiment 2018

1 minute ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Sometimes you have to take a couple steps backwards to move forwards. Whether they place 8th or 12th I think they are heading down the right path with this show.

Agreed. This is a nice show. And could be one that develops all season and comes together at the right time.

I also agree that it's a step in the right direction, for sure. The show has emotion, and feel very Phantom Regiment.

Looking forward to seeing how it continues to be refined and polished. Good luck to all!

Judging by some comments by a current MM, the corps had some technical issues last night that led to a rough run. I'm gonna wait to see whether this was a one time thing or a sign of things to come

After having seen the show several times now, I have to say the music has nothing that is memorable for me.  The music selections could be more effective if not for the fact that it is arranged using the same formula as all of Pitts' shows.  The show starts and ends.  That's all i remember except that there seems to be way too much  emphasis on the pit.

I agree with Tim, the show could be much more interesting and exciting with some rewrites.  I also think there is way too much choreography.  It definitely has potential and I hope see it come alive.  

Edited by EricS
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, EricS said:

After having seen the show several times now, I have to say the music has nothing that is memorable for me.  The music selections could be more effective if not for the fact that it is arranged using the same formula as all of Pitts' shows.  The show starts and ends.  That's all i remember except that there seems to be way too much  emphasis on the pit.

I agree with Tim, the show could be much more interesting and exciting with some rewrites.  I also think there is way too much choreography.  It definitely has potential and I hope see it come alive.  

I gotta say that Pitts has yet to arrange anything that is truly memorable for me. His arrangements don’t come off as particularly bad or good, they’re just there. I think the one thing that I can compliment him on is the fact that he knows how to arrange to get Phantom to sound like Phantom. 

• Like 3

On 7/6/2018 at 6:26 PM, Cappybara said:

I gotta say that Pitts has yet to arrange anything that is truly memorable for me. His arrangements don’t come off as particularly bad or good, they’re just there. I think the one thing that I can compliment him on is the fact that he knows how to arrange to get Phantom to sound like Phantom. 

So is it too late to rewrite the whole show musically because it's beginning to suck.  

1 minute ago, EricS said:

So is it too late to rewrite the whole show musically because it's beginning to suck.  

I disagree, I think the music is the redeeming factor of this show. Give the corps some time to make it shine 

11 minutes ago, EricS said:

Well, I don't think it sucks but I think it's just flat. Some of the Symphony No. 9 parts are beautiful, but there's really no highs in this show for me - it's just kind of flat. There's not one moment where I get excited. Plenty where I think it's beautiful, but it isn't enough. Still, this show is a step in the right direction. More modern than years past, but I still don't get  the point of the props and the tarp. Not much really effective happens with them. 

• Like 2

IMO the writing is cliche, same ole formula based on someone else's shows.  It is disjointed and a bunch of phrases just stuck together.  And I am so tired of a short intro with then a little ditty passed around to the different voices.  How many time has this been done when it seems like they are trying to fill in some time.. And it's time to write out the soloists.

The corps is sounding much better and marching much better.  

Edited by EricS

5 minutes ago, EricS said:

IMO the writing is cliche, same ole formula based on someone else's shows.  It is disjointed and a bunch of phrases just stuck together.  And I am so tired of a short intro with then a little ditty passed around to the different voices.  How many time has this been done when it seems like they are trying to fill in some time.. And it's time to write out the soloists.

The corps is sounding much better and marching much better.  

I can see your point. I think Regiment is really struggling to make the leap into the modern age. The props seem to be there for the sole purpose of having props. When you look at what other corps are doing with props, it just falls behind. I think at least they are tying to be modern this year. It'll take some time to get a better formula in place. I guess we'll see what happens at finals, but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up 11th or 12th. Still, I'd rather be 12th in the modern era than 9th using the old school approach.