Enough Judging Conspiracy Theories

16 hours ago, garfield said:

You think too much of me.  I'm not that smart.

Shhhh

9 hours ago, Stu said:

The sheets do not judge, however people, professionals yes, but people utilizing 100% subjective observations writing down scores based on those sheets do judge. Name one competitive activity, just one, where the umpires, referees, judges, all agree on every call. I mean the rules for NFL, MLB, Olympic Ice Dancing, DCI all have their sheets correct? So please name one competitive activity where the judges agree on every call.

The sheets have just enough vagueness to allow the disagreement to happen. Sometimes the size of the disagreement is the head scratcher

9 hours ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

The venue for that is critique.

Yes and no. You can't go back and change the score. You have to file a formal protest and have it evaluated fromafar, often with only some BD files but no video

8 hours ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

When YOU are putting a number down, it's a reflection of YOUR experience.  When they all pan out, you have no control.  The overall number is the overall number.

The problem is if people try to use their Netflix mart to manipulate the overall number

8 hours ago, DeusExGreenMachina said:

I cannot and will not speak for a judge who gave any score at any point.

Also please remember that perfect scores have been given to, say, guard, since this seems to be the current topic of discussion, in years where there were drops and breaks--because, overall, the performance was still indeed the best thing that particular judge has ever seen as according to the sheets.

Or often times they just started too high and ran out of room

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I disagree when it comes to the top 3 or 4 corps.

Ask BD's Percussion in 2008. 

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Most humans that engage in DCP are obtuse!  :bleah:

I'm isosceles thank you

6 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I was speaking in reference to the environmental factors

But those can change over the course of a show, even inside

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Perceived bias to a corps is not the same as rewarding archaic design; two different animals oh wise Reamer.

Except the two I just mentioned have had hundreds of examples pointed out on DCp 

10 hours ago, ContraFart said:

The times when calls are inconclusive are rare and can be justified. If bad calls are made there is disciplinary action taken against the bad ref. The overwhelming calls made without the replay are pretty black and white. Also teams have the power to challenge calls they don't agree with. A luxury that DCI corps don't have.

But DCI Teams do in fact challenge calls and judges. It's why judges suddenly don't show up to judge anymore. If they don't like their subjective opinions, they just don't hire them anymore.