How About Some Common Ground?

If something goes wrong that is the staff's fault or, probably in Crown's case, nobody's fault, I think it depends on your philosophy on what DCI is/should be.

Semi-Professional Touring Broadway-esque Competition:  Huge obvious detraction from the music and effect of the show... Hose 'em.

Youth Marching Experience Competition:  Ignore obvious uncontrollable issue and focus on the actual kids' achievement the best you can.

Maybe this distinction should be made between World and Open Classes?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

So how do you imagine Carolina Crown wireless mic issues were assessed in finals?  Did the judges think it was a clever contribution to the "deconstruction" theme and give even more credit?

My guess, the young woman kept performing as if nothing was happening. I've been told she had ear plugs so she was unaware of the snafu, and I've been told she knew and tried all the harder to make up for it. Either way she should be commended. In figure skating, when a skater falls,  even though they are penalized they supposedly get points when they get back up and perform as if nothing happened, at least that's what the commentators claim. Maybe the fact that they did not miss a beat helped a bit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Thank you.  I was trying to figure out a way to say something similar.  Without risking being banned from DCP. :tongue:

he'd just block you

14 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I hope you're right.

Then comes the definition of "small ensemble."   LOL. 

150 or less

:spitting:

12 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

I think it might be a mistake to assume that problems with sound reinforcement are not currently being assessed or considered in ratings & rankings.  Actually, these conditions can affect ALL the music captions in particular ways.  Perhaps the fact that most all finalist groups had issues with sound design in Indy makes it seem as though "no one is paying attention."  DCI Music and Effect Judges are instructed in both the technologies and the expectations associated with A&E.

Also, constructing some sort of "penalty" deduction is completely antithetical to the scoring system in drum corps.  I can't imagine that groups would take these production responsibilities any more seriously with the addition of negative reinforcements.  They are already doing their very best to develop a totally new aspect of the activity, and spending a lot of time, effort, and money in the process.  Remember WGI Percussion when synthesized sounds and mics were "new?"  It took smart people awhile to figure it out, and occasionally, there are still problems.

Admittedly, sometimes we tend to "show off the latest toy" a bit excessively sometimes . . .

when you consistently have a mic going out for a major portion of your musical design, winning MA and placing very high in GE is not being addressed in ratings and ranking

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ouooga said:

9 pages, I skimmed. My $.02, if it's going to be on the field it should be judged. The only caption it fits into is GE, so that's where it should be.

To the question of "what if the power goes out that night?", a corps is judged on what they bring to the table that night. Someone asked last year how BD can still be scoring high after their tarp was stolen; shouldn't the tarp's absence be reflected in the score? We all know the answer to that question, and the same answer should apply here. If there's electronics, judge them. If there's no electronics (that night) judge what's still on the field. If a corps doesn't know how to adapt for that night, that's corps'/staff's problem, same as if the corps didn't know how to march with a hole or alternate a sick soloist.

well to BD's credit, they were scoring well before the tarp.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Bluecoats 2014 has several different such instances.

That's quite a bit different from what the person who I was responding to was complaining about though. Bluecoats made it very obvious they weren't playing during those moments so it wasn't integrated with the rest of the brass ensemble sound 

3 hours ago, Stu said:

In the video interview with Hopkins, he stated that the 2017 BD brass was performing in conjunction with recorded dubbed brass.

Hopkins says a lot 

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Hopkins says a lot 

1 hour ago, ibexpercussion said:

Starting writing a response, but figured, let's just leave this alone.  I mean, he had a chorus that, well...

Simple question: Was Hopkins lying when he stated that BD was using recorded dubbed brass?

34 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

when you consistently have a mic going out for a major portion of your musical design, winning MA and placing very high in GE is not being addressed in ratings and ranking

I agree!