All time shows: Jersey Surf

I thought it would be cool to start a weekly thread about what performances we loved and didn't love about each corps.  For week 2 we are headed to New Jersey to celebrate and discuss Jersey Surf.

What are your top 1-5 all time Jersey Surf shows?

(Optional) What are your 1-3 least favorites from them?

You can go into as much or little detail as you like but please please try to keep things positive!

I am hoping to see a lot of love for the non top 12 corps!

4 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

I thought it would be cool to start a weekly thread about what performances we loved and didn't love about each corps.  For week 2 we are headed to New Jersey to celebrate and discuss Jersey Surf.

You can go into as much or little detail as you like but please please try to keep things positive!

I'm liking the faux-Bridgemen show,, the Elvis show, and a choice of others.

I haven't liked Surf when in the dark blue uniforms which make them appear too skinny, small, and unskilled at marching.

Few have noted Surf's recent reason to be proud. The new Brass Caption head of the Cavaliers did his beginnings with Surf training. From an acorn a might oak grows.

Edited by xandandl
  • Thanks 1

I haven't had the opportunity to see them live and finding film on them isn't easy but I love their fun shows.

2003- Alice Cooper Schools out... pretty much a park and blow but it is a great moment.

2004- Take the penalty!

2012- Bridgemania...what a great interactive show...and the only corps brave enough to take the party rock anthem on.

2013- soul surfin'- they had Aretha Franklin live.

Least favorite

To me...when Jersey Surf gets traditional with their shows they just blend in with every other drum corps.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Down the Shore with The Jersey Surf - Theme from A Summer Place * Wipeout On The Waterfront * Set Free On the Boardwalk  

2004 Elvis hair  show :)
Lounging Around with the Fabulous Jersey Surf - Shangri-la * This Could Be the Start of Something Big * Girl From Ipanema * Also Sprach Zarathustra * See See Rider * Hound Dog & Jail House Rock * Can't Help Falling in Love * My Way  
The Jersey Surf Enjoys an Evening at the Pops -Symphony #5 in C Minor * William Tell Overture * Toccata and Fugue in D minor * Poet and Peasant Overture * Barber of Seville * Hungarian Rhapsody No 2 * 1812 Overture * Stars and Stripes Forever  

Bridgemania - In the Stone Fanfare * Land of Make Believe* William Tell Overture * Pure Imagination (from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) * Party Rock Anthem  

SOUL SURFIN': Bring on the FUNK! - Soul Intro * Always and Forever * (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher * Faces * Always and Forever * Let's Groove * That's the Way I Like It * I Want You Back * Respect * Apache * Play that Funky Music * Proud Mary  

dislikes...when Surf presents shows that are more  conventional. They have the ability to have an ultra strong unique identity which is rare in the cluster of corps they compete with 

• Thanks 1

Haven't seen too many Surf shows to really say which ones are my absolute favorites and least favorites, so I'll just give the ones that I've liked and disliked since 2012.

2012 - They pulled off their tribute to the Bridgemen in style.

2013 - Another really fun show from them; solidified their identity as a "fun corps."

2017 - Brought back the "fun" identity in a more competitive show; I think it would have made Semifinals any other year.

Dislikes:

2014 - Dirty and boring; plus, they were one of three corps that season to use Appalachian Spring and it drove me nuts.

2015 - Had the potential to be fun, but ended up being way too dirty.

2016 - Too serious for a Surf show, and I've seen the water theme done better.

• Like 1

Bridgemania!  I have a dozen sets of unopened, colorful thunder sticks leftover from their over-the-top Allentown performance.

• Like 1

Fab Five.. from Jersey Surf :

1996.... " Cool Tunes from the Back of the Bus "

1998....." Pictures of  Spain... Interpretations of a Larry Kerchner Original "

2004..... " Lounging Around with the Fabulous Jersey Surf "

2012 ......" Bridgemania ! "

2013......" Soul Surfin'... Bring on the Funk ! "

Not my cup of sun, surf, etc :  2016..... " Ebb & Flow... La Mer ".

The clear winner is Bridgemania.  Thanks for everyone who participated and please feel free to keep posting your thoughts!

I will be back tomorrow for week 3!