The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

17 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Understood.

My apologies for not being more clear... I don't want to alarm you or anyone. What Terri said... I understand this article is an expansion upon the previously published one.

I'll get around to reading this new one after I catch up on Masters scores and news. Priorities. LOL

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

The questions that pertain, now that that basic facts of the violations are known are:

Did DCI's board know of GH's violations?

For how long?

What incentivized their silence?

Probably will lead to conjecture since I don't know of anyone having any empirical evidence of the answers to these questions.

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

When I was a recruiter, I made sure I was never alone with an applicant. It's a risk not worth taking.

That's called "professionalism". :worthy:

Drilled into me pretty heavily as a student at WCU. Some other over time here and there still didn't get that message when they went into Music Education.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, drummergirl said:

Agree that it makes sense in the activity, however they are just now switching to that schedule. Why haven’t they had that schedule prior to now?

The company I worked for changed their schedule to one that made the most sense (Sept-August) after 70+ years in business on a Jan-Dec schedule). It happens when somebody decides it should. I would not read much into that action.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim Schehr said:

I don’t get the training of the staff approach. If there needs to be any training it should be for the MM’s so they can recognize and report unwanted and unwarranted behavior. The staff just needs to understand that you don’t FTK’s. 

You need both 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I do understand but when my kid went off to teach early on, I had a talk with him about professional behavior with students.  Arms length.  Do your  job but not too close.  

Again, those kinds of things were laid on heavy and thick at WCU when I was there in the mid 80's. Basically regardless of what level of your competency and brilliance or non-brilliance, always have professionalism and integrity. Those will keep your job for you. When I did teach in upstate NY, the state required an mandatory in-service in child abuse session that ended up leaving me in tears and borderline traumatized. I get upset thinking about it still. My guess it was designed to shake things up and rattle chains... but maybe they did too good of a job on it. I made sure kept the documentation I had taken and passed that training in a place I knew I had it easily retrievable so that, If I taught in NY state, I'd never have to take it again. Still....some people still go through all of those things and end up not getting it, and ending up in the headlines and jail.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I got the app today. 

Not there yet

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jaffo Nerr said:

The questions that pertain, now that that basic facts of the violations are known are:

Did DCI's board know of GH's violations?

For how long?

What incentivized their silence?

I doubt they knew specifics 

• Like 3