The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

12 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Before shooting ideas down, think about what's going on first and listen for a moment.

Society is more reactive than proactive. Corps now have trainers they hire to try to prevent injuries to corps. Why not have an advocate in place to ensure this DOESN'T happen instead implementing one AFTER it happens? Policies may be in place, but we do not know for sure if they are enforced or not, as has been proven with this recent news.

There are HR resource organizations that can provide all of DCI an 800 number for this sort of reporting and support/counseling. Most larger companies and organizations employ one 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jim Schehr said:

I don’t get the training of the staff approach. If there needs to be anytraining it should be for the MM’s so they can recognize and report unwanted and unwarranted behavior. The staff just needs to understand that you don’t FTK’s. 

A few of the victims in the story were staff members. It can happen to anyone. Everyone could possibly be trained on the subject.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Wait a minute, I was not talking about any other corps except the current corps to which this incident has happened. I don't know what other corps have going on, and it probably works for them. But I am specifically speaking of Cadets.

I dunno, I was just responding to Garfield.

I'm actually trying to see it as a more general thing to help the whole activity as this is likely to jump to all corps too.  As far as the Cadets, they obviously just need to get past this issue AND develop policies similar to best practices in the world.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

I respect you because of what you and your corps gave me. 

But it’s not likely that a person hired to oversee these policies would be a volunteer. A qualification to oversee the application of a corps’ policies would likely require accreditation, which, short of qualied and available volunteers, requires an expense to pay for it. 

This is the “stink” that lands on innocent corps because of the actions of one and central command and control. 

It costs them precious resources to comply. 

But that's the reality of the situation. Because sexual assaults/harassment was going on/goes on in the military, they've had to implement the policy of which I'm speaking. Granted, the military has a budget from the federal government and they can afford it. But corps do solicit funds from fans etc. It's just a suggestion. However, I'm sure corps have ways of providing the avenues they need to ensure things like this do not happen.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chaddyt said:

Did some LinkedIn browsing.... The only board member that appears to have any connection to the marching arts is Roger Floreska.  He was a band director for about 5 years, ending in 2001.  The majority of the rest seem to be in positions that could not be further from youth, education, and/or arts.

... so weird that they botched this.

Gary Stromberg and Roger Floreska are both Cadets alums. Gary marched '88-'94, Roger marched around those same years, aged out in '93 and was on staff for a few years after that teaching marching. Both were Hopkins true believers, so makes sense they'd wind up on the rubber-stamp BOD.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

I don’t get the training of the staff approach. If there needs to be any training it should be for the MM’s so they can recognize and report unwanted and unwarranted behavior. The staff just needs to understand that you don’t FTK’s. 

I do get your point. Unfortunately in today’s climate it’s really imperative provide training to all. Sometimes an unwanted hug or even a “compliment” may be perceived as harassment 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

A few of the victims in the story were staff members. It can happen to anyone. Everyone could possibly be trained on the subject.

I do understand but when my kid went off to teach early on, I had a talk with him about professional behavior with students.  Arms length.  Do your  job but not too close.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

I don’t get the training of the staff approach. If there needs to be any training it should be for the MM’s so they can recognize and report unwanted and unwarranted behavior. The staff just needs to understand that you don’t FTK’s. 

Well it's also a workplace issue too. So developing a culture of awareness and knowledge on how things work should be taught to everyone in that organization. Everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I do understand but when my kid went off to teach early on, I had a talk with him about professional behavior with students.  Arms length.  Do you job but not too close.  

That's exactly what I mean.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1