The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 minute ago, 2000Cadet said:

Paid by the organization. If this is as big a problem as some have indicated, then money should be the last thing to be discussed. Either that, or risk this crap happening again.

So BD and Crown have to spend money, time, and resources because of this?

No, BD and Crown have policies too,  no complaints...  again, why do they have to implement new policies?

1 minute ago, garfield said:

No, BD and Crown have policies too,  no complaints...  again, why do they have to implement new policies?

Before shooting ideas down, think about what's going on first and listen for a moment.

Society is more reactive than proactive. Corps now have trainers they hire to try to prevent injuries to corps. Why not have an advocate in place to ensure this DOESN'T happen instead implementing one AFTER it happens? Policies may be in place, but we do not know for sure if they are enforced or not, as has been proven with this recent news.

9 minutes ago, garfield said:

I agree. I'm sure BD, who seems quiet compared some other corps on this topic, are aware of these issues, and I completely trust them to make sound business decisions revolving around this topic. Maybe they will make a statement later. No idea...

Maybe these corps  can get a volunteer who directly deals with these issues? Maybe a social worker. Honestly, the time needs to be put in just to satisfy external interests.

Edited by jjeffeory

6 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I agree. I'm sure BD, who seems quiet compared some other corps, are aware of these issues, and I completely trust them to make sound business decisions. Maybe they will make a statement later. No idea...

Wait a minute, I was not talking about any other corps except the current corps to which this incident has happened. I don't know what other corps have going on, and it probably works for them. But I am specifically speaking of Cadets. Maybe I should go back and edit my post so this guy can stop jumping down my throat now.

Edited by 2000Cadet

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Thank you for getting that part.

The next thing is- there's a lot of weight on victims. Many think it's just them, they don't know there are others. It becomes a game of your word versus the person in authority. There are those who will say "(The person in question) would never do that, how dare you try and impugn them!" Many people who do this tell their victims that they will never be believed by others because of their power, fame or charisma. It's a common method of silencing them. Predatory behavior takes advantage of all of this. It's diabolical, and I think some people need to be more understanding of this whole process these people use against their victims. This isn't simple, not as cut and dried as we wish it was for those who are abused and harassed.

So true. A local clergyman was recently convicted on 18 counts of child molestation. There were actually 32 total allegations. One thing that became clear during trial was that to a person, the victims were all under the belief that they were the only one, and that they would not be believed if they said something. Power, authority, and public esteem can be intimidating and overpowering. Abusers often count on this. I would never fault any victim of sexual abuse for remaining silent. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I know the Cavaliers are incorporating training into their entire culture. They want to do more than have policies in place. They are taking policies from other places, and are working on more training for their staff from outside sources, and they'll be educating their Jr officers and whole corps. 

I don’t get the training of the staff approach. If there needs to be any training it should be for the MM’s so they can recognize and report unwanted and unwarranted behavior. The staff just needs to understand that you don’t FTK’s. 

Edited by Jim Schehr

3 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Before shooting ideas down, think about what's going on first and listen for a moment.

Society is more reactive than proactive. Corps now have trainers they hire to try to prevent injuries to corps. Why not have an advocate in place to ensure this DOESN'T happen instead implementing one AFTER it happens? Policies may be in place, but we do not know for sure if they are enforced or not, as has been proven with this recent news.

I respect you because of what you and your corps gave me. 

But it’s not likely that a person hired to oversee these policies would be a volunteer. A qualification to oversee the application of a corps’ policies would likely require accreditation, which, short of qualied and available volunteers, requires an expense to pay for it. 

This is the “stink” that lands on innocent corps because of the actions of one and central command and control. 

It costs them precious resources to comply.