The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

2 hours ago, garfield said:

Don't be so sure about what you think is certain to happen.  More attention to this issue began several years ago - existing corps beefed up their best practices and new corps were subject to the realities from their very beginning.

This is not a time-bomb for the activity.

Ohio State still has a wonderful music program and Penn State still plays football (so I hear, I don't follow them).

This explosion really is likely to be a single, ancient unexploded bomb that needed just the right set of circumstances to set it off.

That doesn't mean the field is littered with them, all ready to go off because of this one.

IMO anyway.

I’ll disagree. May have cleaned up recently but in the past.... oh boy 

30 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Corps should probably hire a Sexual Assault and Prevention Response Advocate...someone who's completely separate from the day-to-day activities of running a corps and who's primary job is to deliver training on preventing/reporting sexual assaults; to ensure a victim has someone to whom he/she can report and confide should they have to deal with this.

I know the Cavaliers are incorporating training into their entire culture. They want to do more than have policies in place. They are taking policies from other places, and are working on more training for their staff from outside sources, and they'll be educating their Jr officers and whole corps. 

Edited by jjeffeory
Edited for Clarity
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Corps should probably hire a Sexual Assault and Prevention Response Advocate...someone who's completely separate from the day-to-day activities of running a corps and who's primary job is to deliver training on preventing/reporting sexual assaults; to ensure a victim has someone to whom he/she can report and confide should they have to deal with this.

Paid by whom?

1 hour ago, Jim Schehr said:

I’m waiting SOMEONE to bring up EBBUBery. 

Or Harvey Berish 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

enlighten us

Google it. In a comfy chair

36 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

He should have been termed 

Easily. Hence the question 

25 minutes ago, year1buick said:

I’m glad it wasn’t a harassment issue, at least, but that still sounds pretty crappy. I think there’s going to be a lot of scrutiny looking back on similar situations, though. (Of which, it appears there are many.)

Had he tried, she’d have floored him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, garfield said:

Paid by whom?

Paid by the organization. If this is as big a problem as some have indicated, then money should be the last thing to be discussed. Either that, or risk this crap happening again.