The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

19 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Now you're just taking it too far. If the guard had an issue with the uniforms I'm sure they would have said something. If the performers had a problem with the sexual innuendo on the field, I'm sure they would have said something. So what if that's the song they sing to get hyped? Hell, when I was in band in high school we would sing Baby Got Back to get hyped. Whoopee. Also, did you notice that there are females in that circle too? Singing along? Shew. Stop trying to point fingers where they shouldn't be. This is about staff members taking advantage of their members. I'm sure an investigation will be done into all corps, but stop trying to make something out of nothing. 

Maybe not too far. Would they (any of them) have said something? Mostly, no. Few of the students will bring it up, based on long experience. We, as staff, are the adults and we have to pay better attention.

This is something that staff must consider, even if we never did before. I started teaching marching in 1974 and even last summer, I still had to check myself. I staged a guard scene where a member (male) grabbed another (female) by the neck and cast her down. It was only after I was flying home that I really thought about the possible response to that. At the next opportunity, I checked with the grabbed one to be sure it wasn't going to be a problem for her. Even with that being okayed, did I need to stage it that way? This is now a part of my checklist for all of my actions. It has to be.

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

How can you interview nine abuse survivors, discover that the one thing that unites them all is their desire not to destroy the drum corps... and then slap that headline on top of it all?

The victims are victimized all over again.

Nonsense. Whatever bad results come if this are entirely the fault of George Hopkins. Not any of the people he victimized. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

No doubt. All 13 of them... 9 of them on record.... stated that their " agenda " was to remove this apparent  sexual deviant from a Drum Corps each of them stated they cherished. Since these woman marched in different eras with the Cadets, we can assume until we learn otherwise, that these woman perhaps only knew one another from a distance, What brought them together was their shared experiences of sexual abuse. Whether their coming forth was organized or not by forces connected to the Cadets that disliked Hopkins for other reasons seems irrelevant here, imo.  It could be that this is part of a refreshing national mood where woman feel more comfortable now more than ever before to come forward to say that " no, this is not alright ", But even that is secondary. What is primary here, imo, is that these brave woman did come forth, and as a result, this apparent sexual deviant was removed from his position, and it has spurred a redoubling of efforts by every other DCI Corps ( as well as DCI itself ) to shore up policies and procedures so that from here on out, no victim of sexual abuse will have to say... " I saw no open channels that would help me that were not already controlled by the perpetrator (s) themselves "

Perfectly said, IMO, and I couldn't agree more.

"Founder-itis" is a powerful force when allowed to grow with the success of the org.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

sorry  double post  

Edited by HockeyDad

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Bands are making some decisions as we speak. Some may stay. But if I’m a school administrator, even if there’s new leadership in place, do you want your schools name tied to it?

That's a tough one. , if the change is made although the stigma is there for a while would it be different elsewhere. As I have said we are a very inbreed activity and we can go to any organization and dig up a lot of dirt. All it would take is 1 person wanting to dig and BANG here we are, and it doesn't have to be just on this subject. All one has to do is think about that old 6 degrees of separation, well in our activity it's more like 1 degree

Edited by GUARDLING

Just finished reading the article and many of the comments. I expect many on the Cadets staff will soon resign after finding other positions. Many Cadets members will leave, and DCI right now has their calculators out and may ban the Cadets from competition this year. Quite horrible news and very painful for those of us who have been part of the organization as members and then as alumni over the years. I respect the women for coming forward and sharing their pain while doing the right thing.

Edited by rysa4
spelling error

19 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Nonsense. Whatever bad results come if this are entirely the fault of George Hopkins. Not any of the people he victimized. 

I think the poster meant that the victims will have what they didn't want to happen (harm to the corps) come about, causing them added pain. Not that it was in any way their fault.

1 minute ago, rysa4 said:

Just finished reading the article and many of the comments. I expect many on the Cadets staff will soon resign after finding other positions. Many Cadets members will leave, and DCI right now has their calculators out and may ban the Cadets from competition this year. Quite horrible news and very painful for those of us who have been part of the organization as members and then as alumni over the years. I respect the women for coming forward and sharing their pain while doing the right thing.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.  If others are guilty they may quit before allegations ever surface, saving a lot of grief for all.  I'm not sure the Cadets members will leave, as long as they see that change has been instituted.  I think, also, that the good people who have come through the ranks of the Cadets over the years will pull together to fill in any gaps needed as transitions occur.  This corps goes back to 1934 with an alumni list longer than probably any other corps out there.  I think few are ready to throw in the towel, but they are ready for a good cleansing of the "soul" of the corps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rysa4 said:

Welcome to the Planet!

I doubt any of your expectations will come true.

Yep, very painful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rysa4 said:

You marched Cadets, but don't sell your former Corps short. They need your support now perhaps more than ever.

• Like 3