The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 hour ago, One n Done said:

Some of you choose to PUBLISH some fairly damaging stuff about individuals based on incomplete facts, inaccuracies, and the vehemence of your own ideals and beliefs.  Good luck with that.

Well, maybe George Hopkins can get Rudy Giuliani to defend him. His current job seems unlikely to last very long, and I hear he does great work.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

We agree on the above. However, this case was not about videotaping in a shower. He passed "legal muster" because what he did was not a sex crime, period. You don't get to make up your own facts. 

If parents think an adult school teacher that secretly videotapes a female minor on school grounds in some level of undress is " a sex crime ", than it doesn't really matter what legal defense you want to draw upon to defend the indefensible, ie... the hire of a guy that eternally abused his sacred trust as a school teacher by his sexual deviancy. He lost his teacher license. The fact that you want to defend the guy and his hire into DCI Drum Corps is your legal right to do so too. But a reckoning of such  attitudes and hires/ retention of such sexual deviants is about to get an overdue public airing soon, imo. Its long overdue it would seem. One read of DCP the last 24-48 hours should demonstrate quite convincingly in my opinion of the massive amount of future work that DCI has on its hands to rid itself of such indefensible attempts to downplay sexual deviant hires and sexual deviancy misbehaviors in DCI Drum Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

Wow, that is a total misrepresentation of what took place with the guy.

Not to mention,   since the misdemeanor conviction was not for a crime the level you state above, it was later set aside, as any misdemeanor may be upon successful completion of any imposed sentence.

The verdict was this...

"…guilty of unlawfully attempting to view, by means of any instrumentality, to wit a camcorder, the interior of an area in which the occupancy has a reasonable expectation of privacy, with the intent to invade the privacy of a person or persons inside…"

The statute broken was not a sex-based crime at all, actually, but could have applied to filming a custodian going about his/her daily duties. 

Plus, after the case, the person was both the Troopers and Cavies brass caption head before the verdict was set aside, and was also a college band director at two different universities in that time.

He passed the PA credential check performed by YEA, as he has no record.

I've never met the man, and I have no idea why he was taping in the closet, but your description does not fit the actual situation in this case. 

There is enough real stuff to fill page after page in the thread. 

Maybe when you say it, Mike, they'll listen.

...instead of sharpening their pitchfork tines.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Oh the horror. What about the female minor that has to have what this creep did to her " follow her around forever" ?

You know, I am increasingly coming around more and more to Cowtown's position that the Cadets culture has been toxic there for way too long. Trying to justify this guy's hire in any way, shape or form, really is probably part of the problem YEA/ Cadets had, imo... and perhaps other Drum Corps/ MB's too. Reading that guys like this are ok to be future around kids because..... well, it really was no big deal what he did.. just a misdemeanor... and hate to see this follow him around forever... yada yada, is pretty regrettable, and why, imo a LOT of work still remains to be done to  change attitudes, clean up DCI, and make the environment much safer for Youth, and for parents who send their youth to DCI with expectations that creeps like this are not finding their way back to youthful settings like Schools, marching Bands, Drum Corps, and the like..

8 hours ago, MikeD said:

Anyone convicted of a misdemeanor of that level is entitled to have the verdict set aside. It is not an appeal process as you indicate in the above. He was not convicted of a sex crime at all, actually, something you seem to ignore. Yes, he may have been run out of town by the people with pitchforks storming the barricades, but there are enough REAL issues to bring out that this particular one seems to me to have been unfairly handled. 

Again with the shower....the camera was in a closet in the music suite, not a shower, Was it stupid? Yes...and it was illegal no matter who was filmed, be it a student or as I said a custodian...or anyone. He is not a sex offender however, in the eyes of the law, which is all we should be going by. You are ascribing all sorts of personal motivations and accusations of intent without one piece of evidence.  Neither of us has any idea just WHY the camera was there,but it is not relevant to the case...taping as he did was illegal.

It is not sad that the law allows misdemeanors to be set aside. I would not want to see anyone's life ruined forever for a low level misdemeanor conviction if it followed the person forever.

7 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Oh the horror. What about the female minor that has to have what this creep did to her " follow her around forever" ?

You know, I am increasingly coming around more and more to Cowtown's position that the Cadets culture has been toxic there for way too long. Trying to justify this guy's hire in any way, shape or form, really is probably part of the problem YEA/ Cadets had, imo... and perhaps other Drum Corps/ MB's too. Reading that guys like this are ok to be future around kids because..... well, it really was no big deal what he did.. just a misdemeanor... and hate to see this follow him around forever... yada yada, is pretty regrettable, and why, imo a LOT of work still remains to be done to  change attitudes, clean up DCI, and make the environment much safer for Youth, and for parents who send their youth to DCI with expectations that creeps like this are not finding their way back to youthful settings like Schools, marching Bands, Drum Corps, and the like..

And, of course, MikeD, your attitude is contributing to the deviance in society, and you should be shunned as should the person whose rights you're trying to defend.

Brasso doesn't engage with me anymore because I call him out on his embellishments ("...shower..."?  WTH?), but he might listen to you.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

You can support these perverts and creeps based on your perceived notions, that’s your prerogative. I don’t! So we will have to agree to disagree. Move on. I guess the camera was there to make sure the kids clothes didn’t get stolen. 

The camera was in the instrument room to attempt to catch non-band members who were slitting drum heads.

Facts matter.

It was wrong, but he was not doing what some people here are claiming.

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Well, again, we are not debating " legal " here. That point was established and not in dispute.

Is an adult school" Professional " that secretly videotapes a female minor without her knowledge in a school shower " a sex crime " 

Your ability to make things up is astounding.

You have a bias you are trying to support with made-up crap.

And no, I'm not going to debate you because you're arguing emotion and, obviously, your's is most important to you.

Edited by garfield

7 hours ago, MikeD said:

It was a  music suite storage closet, from what I read. I don't know why the camera was there, but it was against the law at the level of a misdemeanor regardless of the motivation. None of us know Scott's intent. Was stuff missing that he was trying to catch? No idea. Was he trying to tape a female changing? It of course is possible. We do not know the 'why' at all, is my only point. We just know the 'what' in the case.

Trying to equate this to GH is just not something I would ever be wiling to do. I want those who commit crimes like GH to pay the price, and for the activity to clean itself out wherever these things are found. 

Well, um, yes I do.  Last year, when this subject came up and the pitchforks were being sharpened, I spoke personally with Scott.   He told me that he was attempting to catch whoever was damaging instruments.  His intent, so he says, was not to catch girls "...in the shower" (Brasso, just STOP!).

It was an instrument room that, until then, had been used by some band kids to change into their uniforms.  It was one of these girls who spotted the camera in the instrument room.

Admittedly, my discussion with Scott took place after his conviction, but he did supply me with facts, in email, from the court records to support his contention.

I suspect some here will dismiss this information out of hand because it doesn't fit the narrative desired.