The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

56 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

DCI is absolutely worth marching. Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch. If the Cadets as a corps don't feel safe for you, there are plenty of other opportunities in the same area, in every level of the activity too!

EDIT: Also, please stay far, FAR away from this site while you are still considering things. Despite the knowledge and history these posters bring to those new to the activity, so many clashing opinions and views on all these different aspects almost always devolve this site into one giant pissing match, and it's honestly not worth newer fans and members of the activity to come here.

best advice ive seen here/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoSurfBass said:

DCI is absolutely worth marching. Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch. If the Cadets as a corps don't feel safe for you, there are plenty of other opportunities in the same area, in every level of the activity too!

EDIT: Also, please stay far, FAR away from this site while you are still considering things. Despite the knowledge and history these posters bring to those new to the activity, so many clashing opinions and views on all these different aspects almost always devolve this site into one giant pissing match, and it's honestly not worth newer fans and members of the activity to come here.

I’m leaving this sword fight.   The one distaff member of this conversation is gone.  Carry on. 

Regarding the hidden camera, anyone who has worked in a department store knows there are often hidden cameras in dressing rooms. There are also signs which state there are hidden cameras. This serves two purposes. One, it deters shoplifters. Second it protects the store from charges of illegally videotaping people. 

Regarding the school situation: I do not know the man in question, and to the best of my knowledge the story did not hit the press in Massachusetts. The question that pops in my mind is “Did the administration know what he was doing and did he document it?” There are tons of teachers, former teachers, and retired teachers who post on this site. I know I can tell you and most teachers would probably agree, whether you teach kindergarten or you are teaching at the high school level, you need to document everything. You need to submit lesson plans and whether you met goals and objectives. You need to account for every minute in a classroom, especially instruction time. This problem could have been averted if it was documented as to where the cameras were installed and why.  If you need to document “Today we turned fractions into decimals and percent” then you certainly have to document “I installed cameras in an area that is questionable to catch people vandalizing equipment.” The difference would be a wrist slap and no loss of employment to losing your job and reputation. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

For those having trouble with MMNJ's link (I am grateful  to him to alerting us to it).

Not a good look for Acheson, who needs to stay ahead of the story.

Was the DCI board meeting still in progress when she called?  Is that why Acheson did not take the call right that minute?

37 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Regarding the hidden camera, anyone who has worked in a department store knows there are often hidden cameras in dressing rooms. There are also signs which state there are hidden cameras. This serves two purposes. One, it deters shoplifters. Second it protects the store from charges of illegally videotaping people. 

While true, Tim K,  the court testimony of what this creep was found guilty of was not done in a " department store ". nor were there" posted signs " in the school setting that young and innocent female minors were going to be secretly and illegally videotaped by an adult male school teacher via a portable camcorder. A videotaping in that case that went far beyond the scope and duties of their teaching responsibility. An illegal videotaping that led to his arrest, prosecution, conviction in a Jury Trial, and subsequent permanent revocation of his Calif teaching license. Not quite sure then what this all has to do with a Kohl's Dept Store like legal cameras/ posted signs in dressing rooms and throughout their Dept store that everyone here understands has wall installed store cameras visible to all, and  legally designed to protect the store against criminal " shoplifters" and the like.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Regarding the school situation: I do not know the man in question, and to the best of my knowledge the story did not hit the press in Massachusetts. The question that pops in my mind is “Did the administration know what he was doing and did he document it?” There are tons of teachers, former teachers, and retired teachers who post on this site. I know I can tell you and most teachers would probably agree, whether you teach kindergarten or you are teaching at the high school level, you need to document everything. You need to submit lesson plans and whether you met goals and objectives. You need to account for every minute in a classroom, especially instruction time. This problem could have been averted if it was documented as to where the cameras were installed and why.  If you need to document “Today we turned fractions into decimals and percent” then you certainly have to document “I installed cameras in an area that is questionable to catch people vandalizing equipment.” The difference would be a wrist slap and no loss of employment to losing your job and reputation. 

In some states, it is perfectly legal to monitor a store's dressing room by surveillancecamera or two-way mirror. ... Moreover, in every state, video surveillance in sensitive areas, such as a dressing room or restroom, for purposes other than theft prevention is illegal. In every state, video monitoring in sensitive areas, such as a dressing room, for purposes other than theft prevention is illegal. Such conduct could fall under laws prohibiting voyeurism, which is the act of observing unsuspecting individuals, usually strangers, who may be naked or disrobing, for the purpose of seeking sexual excitement. I'm not sure if a school would permit the placement of a camera in a dressing room without school district and public approval. 

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

So this was not a senior corps?  He was marching alongside minors?

Are you surprised minors in Sr/All Age corps? Have had them for decades and wonder if any DCA corps doesn’t have them today.

37 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

While true, Tim K,  the court testimony of what this creep was found guilty of was not done in a " department store ". nor were there" posted signs " in the school setting that female minors were going to be secretly videotaped by a male school teacher. A videotaping that went far beyond the scope ans duties of their teaching responsibility. A videotaping that led to his arrest, prosecution, conviction, and loss of teaching license.n Not quite sure then what this all has to do with a Kohl's Dept Store like cameras in dressing rooms that everyone here knows has cameras visible to all, and designed to protect the store against criminal " shoplifters".

I don’t think you read the entire post, or if you did, I wasn’t clear in my intent. The point about the department stores is there are laws regarding videotaping. The second point, which deals with the school situation, there are procedures that should be followed. Perhaps he did not know the law, but he should have at a minimum known the school procedures, and I cannot believe there are too many school districts that would allow unauthorized videotaping.

It is well known that predators often groom their victims, what is often ignored is that they also show disregard for laws, procedures, and believe the rules do not apply to them. They also work hard to gain trust so people will believe them if things go wrong.  At face value, this story does have a number of red flags, and even if his intent was to catch vandals which I know many don’t buy, but for the sake of argument let’s say it was the reason,  minors were put in a compromising situation and you can’t ignore that and give a second chance in a situation involving minors.

As we all well know, this whole discussion revolves around a man who often claimed to be all about the kids, if he couldn’t change a rule, he often broke it, and appeared to believe he was invincible. He most likely believed he would never need caught. The lesson to be learned is that if people ignore laws and procedures, there is reason to be cautious. 

13 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

You continue to attack me and others because we don’t agree with you. I won’t tolerate it. You need to stop your stalking and provoking me everytime I post. Why is that? 

He hasn't attacked anyone.  He has simply clarified and supplied a fuller set of facts so that fair-minded people can draw their own conclusions.  And defended himself from the attacks of others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1