The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, cowtown said:

I used left for canned but I think we both meant fired

And I agree with the rest but would ascribe those various flavors of idiots you described as a product and a representation of the culture

Hoppy did depend upon silence to cover his alleged crimes but much of what he used to stifle his victims and continue the alleged rapes was part of the broader culture he created and many seem stuck in it still. Perhaps, it will take time to shed some of the old ways and I should be more patient but the Cadets Culture as displayed on this board and in the wild has always been extreme and as I said, I fail to see much change again, maybe I should be more patient but worrying about placement considering, does strike me as vulgar

I'm not sure that's true.  People don't want to believe that someone they trusted could be capable of such bad acts.  That's not culture, that's human nature and it's a good thing.  

Also, read back over last year's 1000+ pages of frenzy (if you are an insomniac) up until December.  What you will see is a huge amount of criticism of (i) the alumni loyal to GH for backing him while he "ruined" the corps, (ii) the board for allowing GH to post lousy results without consequences, and (iii) some criticism of GH's mercurial style.  You will not find ONE mention of sexual assault.  All of those people on all sides of the issue can't be part of the culture.  They were in the dark. Even the alumni, who were there when all this was going on, were in the dark.

I know some of the MM's.  They paid their fees, they are planning to compete, and heck yes they should be worried about placement.  We should be behind them.  They didn't ask to be put in this situation, and to tell them not to march their butts off and try to win or to not support them in their efforts because you are upset at what GH is accused of doing that started before any of the were born would be a shame.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think the future depends on what, if any, financial shenanigans occurred;  and what might be necessary to right any wrongs.  

GH ran YEA/Cadets like a third-world dictatorship.  He was the only one who had all the information (which is a key feature of this management system).  To paraphrase Donald Rumsfield, There is stuff we know.  And there is also stuff we know we don't know.  But there is also stuff we don't know we don't know - and  this could be the most important category.  

Maybe that's a question ( which I am sure the new board is looking at ) for the Cadets/ YEA, to deal with.

28 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think the future depends on what, if any, financial shenanigans occurred;  and what might be necessary to right any wrongs.  

GH ran YEA/Cadets like a third-world dictatorship.  He was the only one who had all the information (which is a key feature of this management system).  To paraphrase Donald Rumsfield, There is stuff we know.  And there is also stuff we know we don't know.  But there is also stuff we don't know we don't know - and  this could be the most important category.  

This is not unique to YEA.  I have seen this happen in for-profit companies as well.  Management always knows more than the board or the public.  Just look at Wells Fargo or VW.  The board takes the heat, employees lose their jobs, but the management who committed the misdeeds are the real problem. 

1 hour ago, cowtown said:

The victims were caught up in that culture. They offered to sit on the story if Hoppy left, to protect the corps above all

That culture wasn't limited to just them, they just paid the biggest price. 

Don't EVEN start with the victim blaming. They wanted justice. They wanted someone to pay attention. They were not caught up in the culture more than anyone else. They were a victim of one person. 

• Like 2

My personal opinion, based on the early returns from the actions of the new board, is the organization will emerge stronger than before. I think they are intent on being leaders and innovators in a new way... protecting the staff, members and students who participate across their programs. They will institute was of reporting, managing, and supporting the victims of abuse which will very likely be models for across the activity. It will be expensive but the new board appears committed to investing in world class policies, strategies and programs working with world class organizations and independent agencies to provide the proper guidance (Like their emerging partnership with RAIIN). Sure there will be good days and bad days. And we collectively have no idea how vast these issues go for YEA (let alone the broader community). I am encouraged to see how much effort is being focused on the problem and supporting the victims WHILE ALSO working to stabilize the programs (Cadets, Cadets 2, USBANDs and Escape). With new directors for each soon to be announced and Cadets and Cadets2 coming together for a combined camp I suspect next weekend will be the true barometer for how the competitive groups will proceed.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Maybe that's a question ( which I am sure the new board is looking at ) for the Cadets/ YEA, to deal with.

I agree - I believe DCI is doing same as part of the probation process.

What I am concerned about is, for example, when Corps is in CA, bus issues due to deals GH made but no one else knows about.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Icer said:

This is not unique to YEA.  I have seen this happen in for-profit companies as well.  Management always knows more than the board or the public.  Just look at Wells Fargo or VW.  The board takes the heat, employees lose their jobs, but the management who committed the misdeeds are the real problem. 

Yes.  And this was a Management of One, who has been disgraced, fired, and (judging from YEA statement yesterday)  disappeared.  We do not know if all the bad news is known yet

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I agree - I believe DCI is doing same as part of the probation process.

What I am concerned about is, for example, when Corps is in CA, bus issues due to deals GH made but no one else knows about.  

I agree. I think they may have it all under control, ( Hopefully ) I do think at times DCI HAS NOT monitored closely enough sometimes. IMO there have been many corps over the years who had no business getting a DCI clearance, especially in WC for an extensive tour.

Financial projections in drum corps is like saying the check is in the mail. If it's not in hand OR guaranteed on paper it's worthless

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Don't EVEN start with the victim blaming. They wanted justice. They wanted someone to pay attention. They were not caught up in the culture more than anyone else. They were a victim of one person. 

NM........:thumbs-up:

Edited by GUARDLING