Is there a double standard in acceptable show design past to present?

1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

I pointed you in the right direction. Anything else on the subject will result in backlash and I'm just not feeling up to that today. Lol.

Ah so you want to stir stuff up and then leave without actually adding anything to the topic

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Ah so you want to stir stuff up and then leave without actually adding anything to the topic

No, I mentioned that it's still happening and moved on. Ya know, like some other people should when someone doesn't want to mention name's. :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: If I did, I would've said it in my original post. 

Edited by Incognito365

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Oh lord who lit the fuse?  

Wait a minute.... I think I hear a Tide rolling in... :innocent:

• Haha 2

The thread is  compairing the past to the present in acceptance and taste of the shows context. Has the average drum corps fans intellect elevalated so high that everyone will recongize the Nighthawk picture, I had to look it up so before the internet this may have been missed totally? Folks that post here think so. I was pummeled like I'am the only one that never seen this painting I don't think so but hats off to BD for pulling this off great work.

Has our drum corps intellect risen so much it is hard to explain/show drum corps to a friend and they instantly became a fan or even say they like it, VK & Bridgemen were able to pull that off?

Am not here to put down one era or another but our taste has evolved. Hopefully not to the point of the old Big Bands that finessed themselves out of an audience.

Friends of Johnny Cash would point out how bright he was but kept it from affecting his image. He found a way to relate to the average music lover and never let that get in his way. Can dci learn from that do they need to I don't know.

21 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

No, I mentioned that it's still happening and moved on. Ya know, like some other people should when someone doesn't want to mention name's. :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: If I did, I would've said it in my original post. 

Well I’m still not really sure what exactly you’re referring to but all I’m going to say is this:

Some implementations are far better than others. 

Take the props used in Cadets 2013 vs BD 2016 as an example. 

On 7/9/2018 at 1:10 AM, Bluzes said:

Bringing up the Bridgemen or Velvet Knights in this forum usually drives out the Snowflakes reminding me how inappropriate and distasteful their shows were.

Wow. Yeah, I remember Aunt Mabel in period saying that stuff at DCI East Prelims circa 1983ish. I then told her, "Strip out the zany antics, and the crazy uniforms. Look at what's inside that show musically and visually. It's all quality." Honked her off, everyone around me agreed. It's been proven you can do pretty much what you want, as long as the internal structure of the presentation is strong and done with a high level of quality.

As for people who think there's no room for humor or zany in what's a large arena of ideas, bah on them!

• Like 2

On 7/9/2018 at 1:10 AM, Bluzes said:

However to insinuate dci has evolved and is now on some moral high ground or fans are more sophisticated because there is no VK or Bridgemen type entertainment is laughable, delusional and total fake news.

One can be silly and have humor without offending the vast majority of people, can't they? Or are these complainers the arbiters of what's supposed to be acceptably funny and what is not? There are some societal lines and such one shouldn't cross. There was a DCA corps in the 70's who went to some places on a serious level and did cause a pretty serious level of negativity even then, causing some major show rewrites, like when the swastika showed up on the field when the Germans are attacking music from "Patton" started (I kid no one on that) and the guard held Jesus at gunpoint and then lashed him in their "Jesus Christ, Superstar" program (Again, I can't make this up).

I've been told the Cavies' show from last season was pretty funny and done in a very tongue in cheek way. Did it offend anyone or cross any lines of decency? Just askin'.

29 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Has our drum corps intellect risen so much it is hard to explain/show drum corps to a friend

I'd argue that in some ways, there's been an element of thought from some design teams that the audience is so stupid and thick they need the premise spoon-fed to them by narration bit by bit, detail by detail. Thankfully, one of the main purveyors of that isn't around. Well-written packages need very little of that to tell their story and present their ideas and beliefs effectively to the viewer.

21 minutes ago, BigW said:

Wow. Yeah, I remember Aunt Mabel in period saying that stuff at DCI East Prelims circa 1983ish. I then told her, "Strip out the zany antics, and the crazy uniforms. Look at what's inside that show musically and visually. It's all quality." Honked her off, everyone around me agreed. It's been proven you can do pretty much what you want, as long as the internal structure of the presentation is strong and done with a high level of quality.

As for people who think there's no room for humor or zany in what's a large arena of ideas, bah on them!

As Bobby Hoffman told me in 1980 (he wrote drill for our DCA corps that year)... "All that 'spontaneous schtick' we (the Bridgemen) do??? We put in a lot of hours working on that 'spontaneous' stuff to get it right."

He would get steamed... justifiably so, IMO... when he kept hearing "The Bridgemen do nothing out there... not as much content as the other corps" and stuff like that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BigW said:

One can be silly and have humor without offending the vast majority of people, can't they? Or are these complainers the arbiters of what's supposed to be acceptably funny and what is not? There are some societal lines and such one shouldn't cross. There was a DCA corps in the 70's who went to some places on a serious level and did cause a pretty serious level of negativity even then, causing some major show rewrites, like when the swastika showed up on the field when the Germans are attacking music from "Patton" started (I kid no one on that) and the guard held Jesus at gunpoint and then lashed him in their "Jesus Christ, Superstar" program (Again, I can't make this up).

I've been told the Cavies' show from last season was pretty funny and done in a very tongue in cheek way. Did it offend anyone or cross any lines of decency? Just askin'.

Didn't offend me at all.  I enjoyed the show. Liked the tongue-in-cheek humor... and somehow, they made that improbable "My Way/Mars" mashup work quite well.  LOL.

• Thanks 1