Is there a double standard in acceptable show design past to present?

I think for the burning it really wasn't correct historically but, a hanging would have been worse although I have seen 1 in WGI. With that said it's the effect that people cheer not the killing. The slippery slope that's there is when doing themed programs, especially in history there can be a lot to be offended with if one chooses. Away from the obvious, people can also be offended by religious themes, political themes, current events, sexuality,  Aids shows which there were many, war shows etc etc etc. I think people have to remember why people clap because I can bet it has nothing to do with the content of subject, but effect.

16 minutes ago, Ghost said:

So two stabbings, one throat being sliced open, and one mm bludgeoned is OK?  You must have fainted when the recording of a rifle shot being used in CC show.  That hole seems to be getting bigger to me.

Just because I was uncomfortable with one specific part of one specific show doesn't mean I have to be against every depiction of violence. You are fighting a straw man.

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I think people have to remember why people clap because I can bet it has nothing to do with the content of subject, but effect.

We sit down real low on the fifty and clap for every corps till they turn their back. Why because whether I liked it or not the kids all put in a tremendous commitment up to and including paying to be there themselves.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

We sit down real low on the fifty and clap for every corps till they turn their back. Why because whether I liked it or not the kids all put in a tremendous commitment up to and including paying to be there themselves.

very true.1 reason for sure and a good one ,.at least for many

Edited by GUARDLING

20 hours ago, flammaster said:

I do not care what they do as a show as much as i do when they pick sucky music. Drum and Bugle Corps was always about playing the near impossible and throwing in the kitchen sink not who can play the most insipid catchy tune.

I completely agree.  As long as it's done as part of a good visual and music program it doesn't bother me.  A good example is the 1992 Blue Devils show in which the entire corps took some article of clothing off, but considering their incredible performance of "When a Man Loves a Woman" a little bit of skin added to the show.

****, there's a double standard now period. One year a corps could do something and people absolutely hate it. The very next year a different corps could do the exact same thing, and suddenly everyone loves it. Life's full of double standards. There comes a point when you grit your teeth until you get home, and then you ***** behind closed doors. Lol.

Edited by Incognito365
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You must sit really close to us. 

Yep so  close you and Jim treated us to a wonderful dinner for our wedding anniversary the 2an year in Annapolis, Thank You 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the girls marched it, so one has to think they were ok with it. I mean every male between breathing and dead were fans, and I remember them having guys go up for autographs in Allentown

I marched under Bobby Hoffman in ‘83 and instructed VK in ‘87.

(1) BH merged the East Coast attitude with CA Kool.

(2) Pushing the envelope when it came to guard or female personnel was BH’s M.O. Bayonne’s CG wore a similar cut bottom look in his day.

(3) We are again looking at events of 30 years ago through a 2018 lens. What was popular THEN? Big hair! MTV!! Madonna!!  Bands like Stryper and Poison who wore killer makeup. 

(4) VK SC’s were a cohesive unit and were serious about what they were doing. Look at their faces on the DVD...they are NOT “...like, OMG, this is like, totally boring..!!” (Valley Girl-speak). They worked hard in that show, then they had to do the drum-tom holding thing for the mass snare line in drum solo. 

(5) Objectification wasn’t on anyone’s radar—THEN. Above all, the SC’s were great drum corps ambassadors. 

I would love to see a drum corps do a show based around George Orwell’s 1984, because right now the world needs it. And there’s only one drum corps cut out to make this happen in all of its gut-churning, disturbing glory:  Boston. 

Edited by TRacer
  • Thanks 2