Has Audience Culture Changed?

Something I've noticed over the years attending finals week is that the alumni corps seem to get the biggest crowd response of the night. Maybe it's the nostalgia or the fact that most of the music is already burned into our memory. But from 27th back in 94 to Madison's in 2006 to last year's SCV alums,  they had the crowd on their feet many times during their performances.

Edited by Tupac

9 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Of course, this is an observable occurrence. In fact, just by your saying it must make the phenomenon of boredom true.  HOWEVER!... Part of what you are saying faults drumcorps as following suit when the truth is that scholastic and winter competitive programs owe everything to DCI design.

Ehhhhh, I would say DCI owes a lot more to BOA and WGI in terms of design trends starting in the early/mid 2000's or so. The designers had more free reign in the band and indoor world to go crazy with whatever they wanted, and with the top band programs they had large budgets to work with that would allow them to pull that stuff off. I would agree that in DCI, taking into account a stronger overall assemblage of on-field talent, it allows the DCI designers to push the design envelope even further, but all of these modern characteristics that many old school fans are confused by or dislike sprung forth from the indoor/band realm and led the way to what we're seeing in DCI now. 

Edited by seen-it-all

6 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

because they’ve already heard it in the fall and seen it in the winter.

I hear it in fall & winter and like it, because I seen, felt, screamed out of my mind, howled like a dog for in the summer, not the other way around. It is with very few exceptions that it reverses itself. OK last years SCV flagapiller was done in the spring at WGI. Would I like to see the whole field covered in a white tarp like O'Fallon HS, yea ride around the field in go carts, no. However if I were to point out things they copied from dci it would eat up some digits and fill the page. The last thing I am thinking about in the Summer is WGI & BOA or any other sport or activity one can come up with..

21 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

Ehhhhh, I would say DCI owes a lot more to BOA and WGI in terms of design trends starting in the early/mid 2000's or so. The designers had more free reign in the band and indoor world to go crazy with whatever they wanted, and with the top band programs they had large budgets to work with that would allow them to pull that stuff off. I would agree that in DCI, taking into account a stronger overall assemblage of on-field talent, it allows the DCI designers to push the design envelope even further, but all of these modern characteristics that many old school fans are confused by or dislike sprung forth from the indoor/band realm and led the way to what we're seeing in DCI now. 

It's actually just going around in circles. BOA designers= WGI, DCI and DCA designers.......WGI designers= DCI, DCA, BOA designers.......DCI designers= WGI, BOA, DCA designers

I judged a show quite a while ago. It was a pretty well-known band. The show was fantastic. Their designers had drum corps connections. That summer the same show with many of the same elements were on the DCI field. This show was the Godfather.

On 7/22/2018 at 9:41 AM, modonn said:

To some degree, it might be because of difficulty to connect with the theme of a show.  It's getting harder and harder on some of these to understand the theme.  Blue Knights are a prime example.  If you don't understand the ancient Egyptian mythology behind it, you won't get the show.  Mandarins to some degree, Genesis, Phantom, and Colts as well.  On the other end of the spectrum, Boston, Music City, Crown, Academy, and Blue Stars are all easily engaging.  I like every show out of World Class this year, but I've studied them all and get them in a way a one time spectator who hasn't studied them won't be able to.  

This says it all for me. Period.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Tupac said:

Something I've noticed over the years attending finals week is that the alumni corps seem to get the biggest crowd response of the night. Maybe it's the nostalgia or the fact that most of the music is already burned into our memory. But from 27th back in 94 to Madison's in 2006 to last year's SCV alums,  they had the crowd on their feet many times during their performances.

double post - Bloo!!!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
double post

40 minutes ago, Tupac said:

Star and SCV in recent years - yes. But there have been some pretty amazing reactions ... Bloo and Crown have had some amazing crowd reactions.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

alumni corps seem to get the biggest crowd response

I also notice a lot of folks leaving the stadium, different folks filling their seats. It's a stacked deck those who stay know what to expect and react in kind. However I haven't heard what are in we are in for as far as alumni this year? Anyone know, North Star would fill the bill??????

33 minutes ago, seen-it-all said:

The "designers" are one and the same.

The only place that you see the contrary flow of design is when the rules in the scholastic arena allow it... but the drumcorps regulations are behind the proverbial curve.

But I would still assert that the major design changes occur in a contending DCI show (1 show) first and then foster tens (meaning multiples of 10s) of scholastic programs in the following seasons.

Scholastic programs say "the Cavaliers or the Bluecoats did X... We should do that too since it's in vogue".  Most of the big "proppy" narrative stuff comes out of the 80's-90's DCI culture and it still rules the day... we just like to pretend that it's novel.