The State of Drum Corps

On 7/23/2018 at 11:49 AM, wesleyrp said:

So I’ll admit thatit wasn’t that long ago when I thought that so many changes in drum corps were not good for the activity..... Move to Bbs, electronics, new instrument allowances, amplification. To me- these took DCI from the pure form to something else....

And now? I don’t think DCI and the individual drum corps and products have been better. This season totally shows us how much parity there is in this activity. It also shows us how much the equipment used, staffs, writers and members mean to each group. I watched from the 50 yard line on Sat in SA in 3rd deck so many magnificent performances and designs and was glued to my seat the entire time. There truly wasn’t a corps that I didn’t care for. When hearing the Troopers I was amazed at the quality of their hornline, and they’re 17th—WOW 17th??? But it’s legit as the Colts, Madison we’re all equally or more impressive. When Spirit came out, wow- how is that not a finalist, and the Academy performed— OMG, how is that not a finalist, then Crossmen and Mandarins and you say- man those are undeniable! So many shows and corps are performing at levels I don’t ever remember seeing and it’s refreshing. You could make the argument that Boston just 5 years ago would medal with their current show, Crown same thing.... BK, BStars, Cadets all Top 6 level performers but can’t and won’t move up because of the quality above. If you would’ve told me 10 years ago that almost every drum corps was going to shed their uniform identity for costumes I’d say- I hate it? Now? No way, it enhances in so many cases. SCV has such a tough look though I do miss the Red and Green and the hats, but then again- they have such a great look, sound, design and the costume picked eximifies and allows for the creation to come to life. 

I will say this- I’m a purist at heart, but I have to admit, the state of drum corps is fantastic and membership seems to be thriving. I find at this point experience, correct staffing and designers are really the difference when it comes to being a finalist or not, but either way- The drum corps not in contention for finals are not to be missed, you will regret not seeing some incredible corps for sure!!! My 20 cents- Thoughts?

Wesley P 

What a great post.  I consider myself to be a purist as well.  I hated the addition of electronics so much that I was on the verge of not attending shows anymore.  That was until Bluecoats gave us Tilt.  My whining about electronics was over.  I am still on the fence about adding vocalist to Drum Corps, but it's hard to complain when a singer for Boston makes you melt with Wicked Games or an incredible song stylist for Bluecoats gives me chills.  

The state of Drum Corps is Good and getting better.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FlamMan said:

This is the first year in a long time that my wife and I will not attend a single show or watch a single streamed live contest. We both have pretty much lost interest as have most of the people we marched with who we are still in contact with.

I was on the verge of saying goodbye to Drum Corps as well.  Then I saw Troopers Magnificent 11.  They were able to give us a modern show without giving up anything that made the Troopers what they are.  I wept during the sun burst and I'm so glad I didn't leave Drum Corps to the past.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bluesman said:

I was on the verge of saying goodbye to Drum Corps as well.  Then I saw Troopers Magnificent 11.  They were able to give us a modern show without giving up anything that made the Troopers what they are.  I wept during the sun burst and I'm so glad I didn't leave Drum Corps to the past.

I cried during that show, too.  

3 hours ago, FlamMan said:

This is the first year in a long time that my wife and I will not attend a single show or watch a single streamed live contest. We both have pretty much lost interest as have most of the people we marched with who we are still in contact with.

So what is this, the 4th year in a row of you posting this exact same comment? LMAO

• Haha 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

I like today’s version of drum corps.  But mostly, I remind myself that it’s not my drum corps anymore.  It belongs to those kids on the field now.  

I am here to cheer for them and to support them in whatever way I can. 

Simple as that for me. 

Is it ever ours? should it be? Isn't it something that gets passed on? Aren't we the reason it exists today and haven't we contributed to where we are today? Doesn't it still make us all a part of it today:smile:

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I am part of it in a supportive role. 

We are the reason building to where we are today. History makes us who we are. I believe we are today's drum corps because If not for what we did in the past it wouldn't be here today. I think we are and have always been a part of what we see today.. 

Yes you are part of a supportive role BUT you have also been a part of making and  a major part of the continuing of the activity

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1