The State of Drum Corps

One the reasons given for corps going to costumes is  to allow greater  movement.

To me,that's an issue of the uniform's/costume's "material" .

I don't understand why you couldn't model that material to mimic  a corps' traditional uniform.

I do understand that at least parts of certain shows may not be compatible  with traditional 

hats,helmets etc.

I do think that,based on the shows I'v seen this year, it should be possible to use a uniform/costume that maintains a corps' identity,while still allowing the required movement.

The guard would, as they have been,  be "visually representative" of the show's theme.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

One the reasons given for corps going to costumes is  to allow greater  movement.

To me,that's an issue of the uniform's/costume's "material" .

I don't understand why you couldn't model that material to mimic  a corps' traditional uniform.

I do understand that at least parts of certain shows may not be compatible  with traditional 

hats,helmets etc.

I do think that,based on the shows I'v seen this year, it should be possible to use a uniform/costume that maintains a corps' identity,while still allowing the required movement.

The guard would, as they have been,  be "visually representative" of the show's theme.

There was actually a time when people didn't accept the guard uniform not matching the corps. Sometimes even with flag color. 

On 7/23/2018 at 12:49 PM, wesleyrp said:

So I’ll admit thatit wasn’t that long ago when I thought that so many changes in drum corps were not good for the activity..... Move to Bbs, electronics, new instrument allowances, amplification. To me- these took DCI from the pure form to something else....

And now? I don’t think DCI and the individual drum corps and products have been better. This season totally shows us how much parity there is in this activity. It also shows us how much the equipment used, staffs, writers and members mean to each group. I watched from the 50 yard line on Sat in SA in 3rd deck so many magnificent performances and designs and was glued to my seat the entire time. There truly wasn’t a corps that I didn’t care for. When hearing the Troopers I was amazed at the quality of their hornline, and they’re 17th—WOW 17th??? But it’s legit as the Colts, Madison we’re all equally or more impressive. When Spirit came out, wow- how is that not a finalist, and the Academy performed— OMG, how is that not a finalist, then Crossmen and Mandarins and you say- man those are undeniable! So many shows and corps are performing at levels I don’t ever remember seeing and it’s refreshing. You could make the argument that Boston just 5 years ago would medal with their current show, Crown same thing.... BK, BStars, Cadets all Top 6 level performers but can’t and won’t move up because of the quality above. If you would’ve told me 10 years ago that almost every drum corps was going to shed their uniform identity for costumes I’d say- I hate it? Now? No way, it enhances in so many cases. SCV has such a tough look though I do miss the Red and Green and the hats, but then again- they have such a great look, sound, design and the costume picked eximifies and allows for the creation to come to life. 

I will say this- I’m a purist at heart, but I have to admit, the state of drum corps is fantastic and membership seems to be thriving. I find at this point experience, correct staffing and designers are really the difference when it comes to being a finalist or not, but either way- The drum corps not in contention for finals are not to be missed, you will regret not seeing some incredible corps for sure!!! My 20 cents- Thoughts?

Wesley P 

agreed. 2004-2010 was a period of transition, and it took even longer for some to figure out how to implement it all. Plus some great steps DCI made organizationally, and man, I wish DCA would pay attention

• Like 2

I think health is measured by the success of World Class corps, but I would add a caution here. We have been saying since 2011 that shows have been improving, have been becoming more audience friendly, and that they have been new and bold. This is not a broken record. We have been seeing better shows each year. The same thing was said from 1979-1989. If you watch the 1978 Legacy DVD and then the 1979, 1979 seems to begin a new era. Some of the iconic shows of that era: SCV especially in 87, 88, and 89, Phantom in 1989, Madison 1988 and memorable earlier shows, 1980 27th, and of course 1983-85 and 87 of Cadets. BD was not always winning but certainly pushing the envelope, Star was on the rise, Cavies were making noise. Sky Ryders, Velvet Knights and in the early years Bridgemen.  One key difference between the 1980's and today: we are not losing corps in the numbers we did in the 80's. 

The health of Open Class is also critical. I've always enjoyed Open Class, but many of the shows seemed to be copies of what WC was doing. Today we not only see the number of Open Class corps growing, but the variety of styles and shows is amazing. More corps means more kids involved. This is certainly a healthy sign.

Attendance at shows also plays a factor. Attendance went down as drum corps began to make changes, but we never did exit polls. We don't know the changes caused a decline in audience any more than we know whether people liking the changes have increased attendance. While people dispute how numbers are calculated, what wee cannot dispute is that hen attendance decreased, there were also uncertain economic conditions and I often felt as if I had to work to look for shows. Publicity was terrible.

Overall I think drum corps is healthy today. Where I do see areas that need to be addressed is fiscal management. All I can base this on is what I read on DCP, but there are some serious financial concerns for some corps. We also have to be giving younger and newer staff opportunities. While I continue to be impressed with what I see on the field, many of the names and faces are the same and have been for two, even three decades. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

There was actually a time when people didn't accept the guard uniform not matching the corps. Sometimes even with flag color. 

Guess I should have said "The guard  would,as they have for a number of years,be "visually representative" of the show's theme".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Guess I should have said "The guard  would,as they have for a number of years,be "visually representative" of the show's theme".

No, I got it BUT I just mentioned when things started to change many years ago it also met with resistance with the guard changing away from the corps in uniform and flag colors. At the time you would have thought it was the end of the world. With some I guess it was.

11 hours ago, LSU GRAD 82 said:

I'm the T-Rex from the original Jurassic Park movie and you're the guy that was eaten alive while hiding in the out-house.

Drum Corps T-Rex's and Raptor's feed on all you "Artsy Fartsy Sunshine Pumper" types that live and breathe current Marching Musical Theater International. 

BTW, we're the one's rolling our eyes.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:      

:master:

I'm not big into change, and most say I'm the example of "get off my lawn" guy. 

That being the case - I still enjoy the corps of today. There are some things I would like to see go away like a bad habit. Only because it makes me feel uncomfortable for the kids, but that is not really fair to them. If they like / enjoy what they are performing that is what counts. 

But the reply about G ###### over dino's clogging up their safe space was a bit childish in my opinion. :soapbox:

59 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

No, I got it BUT I just mentioned when things started to change many years ago it also met with resistance with the guard changing away from the corps in uniform and flag colors. At the time you would have thought it was the end of the world. With some I guess it was.

I  admit,  I do miss the guard being in some type of uniform.

To me it gave a cohesiveness to the corps.

Although,even though is was a "uniform",I didn't like the cadets guard in "hot pants".

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I  admit,  I do miss the guard being in some type of uniform.

To me it gave a cohesiveness to the corps.

Although,even though is was a "uniform",I didn't like the cadets guard in "hot pants".

I did, however, like the Blue Stars guard in them...:inlove:

• Haha 1