The State of Drum Corps

59 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I  admit,  I do miss the guard being in some type of uniform.

To me it gave a cohesiveness to the corps.

Although,even though is was a "uniform",I didn't like the cadets guard in "hot pants".

which is why they "mysteriously" disappeared in Montrose, Colorado so the story goes. :whistle:

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2018 at 10:00 AM, totaleefree said:

I would say that right now California is the state of Drum Corps

You are not kidding!  The West Open Championships was great. I am seeing some real good corps these days. Two especially are Gold and Battalion. The battery and FE I really liked a lot was Vessel and of course Big C broke 49 this year!

At the end of SCVC (who is sounding great this year) Mr. Frank Dorttie came up and talked about how he thinks these new open corps sound about the same as 70's A corps did. always nice to see Mr. Frank.

This is the first year in a long time that my wife and I will not attend a single show or watch a single streamed live contest. We both have pretty much lost interest as have most of the people we marched with who we are still in contact with.

16 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

This is the first year in a long time that my wife and I will not attend a single show or watch a single streamed live contest. We both have pretty much lost interest as have most of the people we marched with who we are still in contact with.

NM

Edited by GUARDLING

On 7/23/2018 at 9:57 AM, MikeN said:

I know I'm biased, but if you're (the general "you") ignoring Open Class, you're missing out on some *great* corps and performances.  The stuff they're doing these days puts a lot of lower WC corps from years/decades past to shame.

Mike

I wish we could combine the boards - Open Class gets mentioned here occasionally and I am somewhat disappointed when I check the page and there aren't updates for months.  They ARE worth discussing - they are doing great things!  Open Class holds a special place in my heart :) 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DCIat14 said:

I wish we could combine the boards - Open Class gets mentioned here occasionally and I am somewhat disappointed when I check the page and there aren't updates for months.  They ARE worth discussing - they are doing great things!  Open Class holds a special place in my heart :) 

I agree with that!

I remember when the top corps were called open class.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Darn we missed your dramatic I'll never post here again thread. I love those.  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, FlamMan said:

I am just in shocked since you had posted a ton. Always thought that fans were reading these forums. I guess my assumption was incorrect.

On a serious note, I am enjoying today's drum corps. These are super talented kids who are performing like professionals. You have to love how the current members are still learning the traditions and values of their corps and carrying it forward.  

More marching members are turning to music and dance as a profession. During my day, most of the members I marched with are now engineers, clinicians, teachers and technology professionals.

With anything, things evolve and that's not a bad thing. They are keeping drum corps alive and growing it for the next generation to take on.

• Like 1