Murfreesboro, TN - July, 27, 2018

2 hours ago, kbbandman said:

Not disagreeing with your second point, but what did you mean by the bold and underlined part?  Did you mean to say "emphasis on content and achievement"?

Some weird autocorrect. People put too much stock on content and achievement thinking that is some sort of tell all about what's going to happen. The numbers fluctuate nightly so you may be 6th in content one night and 1st the next, as we have seen with BD's guard.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The judges are evaluating that. I don’t think any corps has more successfully communicated what the “Dada movement” was than BD did in 2012 and you say what the audience response was. 

I didn’t say anything about audience response being a part of scoring. You continue to argue about this point for no reason. I get it, BD has done esoteric shows that the audience didn’t get that scored well. Other corps have done on the nose shows that audiences loved that scored poorly. It’s the nature of the activity. Whatever you personally prefer is what you personally prefer. How DCI decides to award points is up to them.

Edited by MikeRapp

Just now, MikeRapp said:

I didn’t say anything about audience response being a part of scoring.

I know you didn’t.

What I’m saying is that your enjoyment of shows seems way too intertwined with how a corps’ design is being scored is what I’m saying. 

Most audience members don’t care about how well the design of a show is fleshed out as long as there is good music and visuals for them to enjoy. Do you really think audience members seeing these shows for the first time are going to be able to tell the story that the Bluecoats are trying to convey with the singer? Or what in the world Babylon is about? And yet the shows aren’t greatly enjoyed. 

Natural Woman is one of the highlights this season, audiences are getting off their feet for it every time. But I doubt much of the audience really knows what the show is about or what the theme is conveying. 

Most audience members leave the design stuff to the judges. My belief is that if you do that, you’ll start to consistently enjoy other shows a lot more. 

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

I know you didn’t.

What I’m saying is that your enjoyment of shows seems way too intertwined with how a corps’ design is being scored is what I’m saying. 

Most audience members don’t care about how well the design of a show is fleshed out as long as there is good music and visuals for them to enjoy. Do you really think audience members seeing these shows for the first time are going to be able to tell the story that the Bluecoats are trying to convey with the singer? Or what in the world Babylon is about? And yet the shows aren’t greatly enjoyed. 

Natural Woman is one of the highlights this season, audiences are getting off their feet for it every time. But I doubt much of the audience really knows what the show is about or what the theme is conveying. 

Most audience members leave the design stuff to the judges. My belief is that if you do that, you’ll start to consistently enjoy other shows a lot more. 

Some audience members get the show concepts, others do not. Great shows succeed on many levels. The greatest shows are great over and over again and you keep discovering things you didn’t see before. 

Same with great movies. I can watch 2001: A Space Odyssey 20 more times and get new things I had never seen before. Every time Ferris Bhueller’s  Day Off comes on, I watch it and laugh at the same exact parts. Sideways, can’t watch it enough. The Shining, even now I get scared watching that movie. It is a brilliant work of art on every possible level.

DCI has been steadily moving to more of a show concept because that’s what most people want to pay money to see. If you want technical exposition, that’s cool, but your audience is going to be mighty small. 

To whatever degree DCI decides that crowd reaction should play into scoring is up to them. I think it plays more into scoring than we want to believe. Regardless, if you love BD you are going to love their shows because they do what you love. And you will love their shows whether they win gold or finish twelfth.

29 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The judges are evaluating that. I don’t think any corps has more successfully communicated what the “Dada movement” was than BD did in 2012 and you saw what the audience response was. 

What other corps have attempted to communicate what the Dada movement was?

47 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I think people put too much weight on themes. If the music is good and the visual matches the mood, who cares? 

Maybe Corps shouldn't have themes at all then.. saves us the time, trying to figure out what the theme and messaging is. Then we can all go back to enjoying the time when music playing, and marching was all that mattered to both fans and judges alike. On the other hand, if Corps are going to have a theme with messaging, then lets not blame the fans when most don't have a clue what the theme, nor the messaging is with many of these Corps shows now. Its not THEIR fault, and it wasn't the fans who demanded the Corps go with themes in the 1st place.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

What other corps have attempted to communicate what the Dada movement was?

Lol I butchered the phrasing for that. What I was trying to say that few corps have gone as in depth with a theme as BD did with the Dada movement 

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Lol I butchered the phrasing for that. What I was trying to say that few corps have gone as in depth with a theme as BD did with the Dada movement 

I mean...some have probably accidentally communicated it...

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I’d say SCV and Bluecoats are two shows I’d watch over and over again. I’m generally disappointed in GE this year, the show concepts just don’t seem to pay off all that well. That’s sort of the roll of the dice for designers.

I love the idea behind BD, it’s a bold concept, but I don’t think the show pays off as well as their previous few shows and certainly not in the same range as SCV and Bluecoats. I think they made some calculated drill and guard design decisions that sort of strayed from what has worked for them in the past, that SCV and Bluecoats did better, mostly staging and grouping concepts in visual milestones. This show, not unlike Crown, wanders too much.

Bluecoats have changed this activity, no question about that now. Props are becoming central to concepts, and equally for visual and music staging. This is where their design team has excelled professionally, going to their Broadway roots. It badly exposes concepts that have unimportant clutter or worse distracting clutter that hinders drill (please make the tarps go away).

Responsibilities: One of the GE judges has a music background and the other has a visual background, but each utilizes the same judging sheet because they are effectively judging the entire show, not just the effect of the music offering or the effect of the visual production. GE judges must be the most experienced, most knowledgeable, and most flexible members of the audience. Plus, they know how to manage numbers in order to give a proper score. The GE judges are doing the romantic job, they’re feeling what the show is offering and responding to what the show is. There are three parts to GE, the intellectual, the aesthetic, and the emotional.

In my opinion Santa Clara Vanguard has the edge, BOLD and original concept, its abstract - use of limited color and skeletal props and its visually complex (they are marching all over the place), GENIUS design. The Bluecoats are close behind, they are staying true to the show concept, great staging moments, the chairs work -it's brilliant. Both corps had to reinvent themselves for this year. Love the Blue Devils but the other corps are figuring it out and that's ok! Common on Crown, get your act together! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I think people put too much weight on themes. If the music is good and the visual matches the mood, who cares? Let the judges worry about all that other stuff

Exactly!