Buffalo (well, Orchard Park), NY - August 5, 2018

19 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Issues with props, electronics or other parts of the design that fail for technical reasons are to be taken into consideration as part of the how sub-caption of the sheet. How much impact the issue has on the score is up to the individual judge sitting in the seat. For those asking for an explanation as to Crown last year you would need to speak to the individual judges in question.

Judges only " speak " to us with the scores they put down. They " spoke " eloquently to us re. how total electronic malfunctions are handled in show performance solos and in other aspects of the show performance. I listened. I think I heard. I believe most others did as well. At the moment, electronic malfunctions, even really bad ones that mangle the music sound being produced from the field, and the solos being played, have virtually little to no effect on the scores... including GE Music scores. The judges have " spoken ". Its not my fault, if some have not heard what the judges are" saying" re. the effect of electronic mistakes in show performance competition at the moment.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lead said:

No. All World Class corps are paid the same.

Actually all World Class corps are not paid the same.  It's not even close.  

• Like 2

Holy crap!   Way to go Mandarins!!

The show is so layered and different!  

I feel like everyone is rooting for you and Lucas Stadium will go absolutely insane when you are announced finishing where I hope and think you will end up on finals night!!

what an absolutely incredible year!!!

Edited by GetOFFmyDot
  • Like 7

When electronics are done well the corps is generally rewarded.  But if they fail..... we just pretend they didn't and try not to cause a fuss. 

54 minutes ago, Liahona said:

nope

What's been said here in the past was that all World Class corps are paid the same per-show rate, but their cut of DCI's "profit sharing" (as it were) varies depending on their longevity and success. Is that accurate? 

17 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Judges only " speak " to us with the scores they put down. They " spoke " eloquently to us re. how total electronic malfunctions are handled in show performance solos and in other aspects of the show performance. I listened. I think I heard. I believe most others did as well. At the moment, electronic malfunctions, even really bad ones that mangle the music sound being produced from the field, and the solos being played, have virtually little to no effect on the scores... including GE Music scores. The judges have " spoken ". Its not my fault, if some have not heard what the judges are" saying" re. the effect of electronic mistakes in show performance competition at the moment.

It reminds me a bit of the old tic system.  Everything that happened after the timing judge fired the final shot could only add to the score... no deductions were taken from that point on.   Electronic failures are like the stuff that happened in the last minute of shows during the tic era.  All the rewards of a good performance without the penalties of a bad one. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Liahona said:

straw man

I believe I am accurately conveying the arguments that were made last year in defense of Crown's musical analysis score. If someone wishes to make a different argument, I am all ears.

(It might be worth checking other cases. Bluecoats had microphone trouble for a few seconds at the very top of their 2016 Finals performance (for the clapping). They held on to third place in Music Analysis in Finals but lost half a tenth from Semis on the margin from the second place corps. Seems about right for a few seconds of clapping. SCV took a bigger hit when their keyboard soloist froze at the top of the 2015 Finals, dropping from 5th place and 0.2 behind 4th place in Music Analysis at Semis to 6th place and 0.4 behind 4th place at Finals.)

7 minutes ago, bluesman said:

It reminds me a bit of the old tic system.  Everything that happened after the timing judge fired the final shot could only add to the score... no deductions were taken from that point on.   Electronic failures are like the stuff that happened in the last minute of shows during the tic era.  All the rewards of a good performance without the penalties of a bad one. 

Which would only encourage corps to use electronics whenever possible.

32 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Which would only encourage corps to use electronics whenever possible.

Yes.. its also better to utilize piped in faux singers that are guaranteed to " sing " well every show competition too, rather than real live youthful singers that might goof a note or two from one show competition to the next.. Judges really do future shape the activity by " telling " us what they value and don't value in performance competition. With their # 2 pencils... as it should be, I suppose.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I believe I am accurately conveying the arguments that were made last year in defense of Crown's musical analysis score. If someone wishes to make a different argument, I am all ears.

(It might be worth checking other cases. Bluecoats had microphone trouble for a few seconds at the very top of their 2016 Finals performance (for the clapping). They held on to third place in Music Analysis in Finals but lost half a tenth from Semis on the margin from the second place corps. Seems about right for a few seconds of clapping. SCV took a bigger hit when their keyboard soloist froze at the top of the 2015 Finals, dropping from 5th place and 0.2 behind 4th place in Music Analysis at Semis to 6th place and 0.4 behind 4th place at Finals.)

It's impossible to know whether those gaps would have been there without electronics malfunctions.

• Like 2