2019 Phantom Regiment

19 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I've always wondered if another corps could start / relocate to Bloomington, IN. You have a pretty good economy in a drum corps savvy town. The university is there and probably still quite a bit of design talent. I could be wrong on all those fronts but I would be interested in hearing the positives and negatives. 

I thought of this, but the reality was, Star had Cook, there's no reason to believe that same support would be available to the Regiment. But look at the Bluecoats, Canton has 1/2 the population of Rockford, but apparently there is either sufficient alumni support, community support, or they have an aggressive fund raising arm. What are they doing that the Regiment isn't?

Perhaps the real issue is the management of the corps is hindering fund raising efforts. 

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

Rockford’s economy has struggled for years and the fact that very few MMs are from the Rockford area the concept of moving the corps is a viable one. Not sure if the board would agree but the decision to move would have to be made at that level. I suggest Naperville,IL. FWIW

Naperville? I've heard of it. How would it be better than Rockford?

47 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I've always wondered if another corps could start / relocate to Bloomington, IN. You have a pretty good economy in a drum corps savvy town. The university is there and probably still quite a bit of design talent. I could be wrong on all those fronts but I would be interested in hearing the positives and negatives. 

Good thought. It is hard to find someone in B-town that doesn't know of, or remember seeing, Star. And Indiana would seem a decent place to find interest in a home-state corps. (To my knowledge, three organizations have tried Indiana corps start ups in the last four years, and not much has come of their efforts.)

Given that most major corps recruit, train, and tour way outside of their home, however, I wonder whether financial problems are strongly anchored to the locale. (Unless you've got access to good gaming opportunities.) Good financial management, talented fundraising leadership, and a strong alumni base seem like they might be more important. Don't know for sure. Just carrying on the discussion.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

I thought of this, but the reality was, Star had Cook, there's no reason to believe that same support would be available to the Regiment. But look at the Bluecoats, Canton has 1/2 the population of Rockford, but apparently there is either sufficient alumni support, community support, or they have an aggressive fund raising arm. What are they doing that the Regiment isn't?

Perhaps the real issue is the management of the corps is hindering fund raising efforts.

And I did actually think about that as well. And though I would agree that Cook was the man behind the money, I think the other lines of support could still be alive and well in that market. If nothing else, there are a few things going for it. Indiana seems to still have a fairly significant band presence (though nothing like the hot bed of the 80's.) Though Star was created with Bill Cooks endowment, Phantom is already established. I think it's worth putting out some feelers in the area to see if corporate sponsorship is out there. The University has an excellent program and was always friendly to Star. 

It's hard to imagine that it's not worth investigating. As far as fundraising, PR has always kept that a little close to the cuff for anyone who isn't an alumni to get a solid feel for outside of rumor and innuendo. 

• Like 1

Location is not irrelevant. Texas offers comparatively easy/cheap travel access, a thriving scholastic music culture, tolerable offseason-camp weather, ample facilities, and loads of local talent. The Crusaders have New England to themselves, and are based in one of the nation's most target-rich financial centers, chocked with corporations that have substantial philanthropic obligations -- and are run by probably the best board in the business. California has people, money, climate and professional talent -- and more corps than any region. So, if you have the right management, you can make the most of your location's built-in advantages. 

But, at the same time: Casper. If you can run a world-class drum corps out of the second-largest city in the nation's smallest state, you ought to be able to run one form anywhere, Rockford included.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Naperville? I've heard of it. How would it be better than Rockford?

Lots of industry on the I-88 corridor. Tech companies as well. The Silicon Valley of the Midwest. Not too far from Rockford.

Just now, Sutasaurus said:

Lots of industry on the I-88 corridor. Tech companies as well. The Silicon Valley of the Midwest. Not too far from Rockford.

I'm good with that! I'd rather they stay in Illinois if at all possible!

Just want to say to this entire thread that I'm sorry for my outburst a couple weeks ago. No excuses. I'm just a ##### sometimes.

That being said, LOVE the six minutes of arrangements I've heard from the 2019 production. Definitely agree with others that they are much improved. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Just want to say to this entire thread that I'm sorry for my outburst a couple weeks ago. No excuses. I'm just a ##### sometimes.

That being said, LOVE the six minutes of arrangements I've heard from the 2019 production. Definitely agree with others that they are much improved. 

I think your posts are from the heart and I don’t think you’re a #####, you’re just passionate. 

2 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

I think your posts are from the heart and I don’t think you’re a #####, you’re just passionate. 

Yeah, but sometimes I get angry and sprout off with the mouth, then walk away and cool down for 10 days to two weeks. I should shut up, not say anything, and then cool down. I'm still not please Regiment didn't include a female composer, but of the 6 minutes of the show I heard I am pleased with the arrangements.

Thank you for being kind. I am, like all of you, passionate about this activity. I just need to temper myself sometimes and realize that we're all in this together.

Can't say it won't happen again - I know myself - but I am a work in progress.