2019 Phantom Regiment

Meh, people have been saying Regiment was going to die for decades.  I lump them into the same cult as the ones that say drum corps is dead.  Hey, if Regiment doesn't follow the direction of Builder Bob and Vanguard (whose uniforms IMHO were awful and added like zero to the show) more power to them.  They are going to look fantastic this year.  We need innovation, not just throwing meaningless crap on the field and calling it art (and good).  So many need to read "The Emperor's New Clothes" and glean the meaning of said tome.  Regiment does need to do what they do best and that is play a GREAT book and convey it on the field.  So far, heads above last year "brass wise"...I am reserving judgement til I see what they are doing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I can see your point. And to be fully transparent, JD Shaw might just have a lot more talent than Pitt's does overall. I don't KNOW that is the case, but some people are just better at their craft than others. I think of things as 5 year plans most of the time with things like this. To come out of the gate firing would have been amazing but I just  don't know if it's realistic in most circumstances. This year is pivotal IMHO for PR and Pitt's. Let's see what happens and hope for the best. 

I agree 100%.  And if it doesn't produce muuch better results, then it is time to clean house, top to bottom. Start over and build a new PR.  No one has mentioned Valenzuela in all this.  Exactly where does he fit in?

8 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Meh, people have been saying Regiment was going to die for decades.  I lump them into the same cult as the ones that say drum corps is dead.  Hey, if Regiment doesn't follow the direction of Builder Bob and Vanguard (whose uniforms IMHO were awful and added like zero to the show) more power to them.  They are going to look fantastic this year.  We need innovation, not just throwing meaningless crap on the field and calling it art (and good).  So many need to read "The Emperor's New Clothes" and glean the meaning of said tome.  Regiment does need to do what they do best and that is play a GREAT book and convey it on the field.  So far, heads above last year "brass wise"...I am reserving judgement til I see what they are doing.

The problem is, as I see it, if they aren't relevant (competitive) then I fear they will cease to exist. Playing a great book is NOT necessarily going to keep them relevant in the activity. Sure, we might like hearing it but, if we don't get to hear it on Saturday night, what's the point? I don't necessarily care for the chop shop arrangements but, sadly, that seems to be what is being rewarded the most.

The further the corps slips in the standings, the less relevant they will become and, eventually, be unable to attract any talent. What has saved them is the lack of options for performers. It sickens me to think of the Regiment as a feeder corps for anyone, but that may be what they become (if they haven't already).

Yes we need innovation, but is that something we've seen from the Regiment in the last five years? IMO, no, and that is the problem. Innovation and relevance go hand in hand. Don't throw something out there for the sake of throwing something out there, it needs to raise the bar of the activity, even if we don't like where the bar is set (massive props, singing, amplification, etc).

Better get off my soap box.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

The problem is, as I see it, if they aren't relevant (competitive) then I fear they will cease to exist. Playing a great book is NOT necessarily going to keep them relevant in the activity. Sure, we might like hearing it but, if we don't get to hear it on Saturday night, what's the point? I don't necessarily care for the chop shop arrangements but, sadly, that seems to be what is being rewarded the most.

The further the corps slips in the standings, the less relevant they will become and, eventually, be unable to attract any talent. What has saved them is the lack of options for performers. It sickens me to think of the Regiment as a feeder corps for anyone, but that may be what they become (if they haven't already).

Yes we need innovation, but is that something we've seen from the Regiment in the last five years? IMO, no, and that is the problem. Innovation and relevance go hand in hand. Don't throw something out there for the sake of throwing something out there, it needs to raise the bar of the activity, even if we don't like where the bar is set (massive props, singing, amplification, etc).

With all due respect, what are you doing as an alum to turn that tide?????

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

AMEN Rocketman.  I have been saying also.  Sad but true.

5 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

With all due respect, what are you doing as an alum to turn that tide?????

For one, I was quite responsive to Wills post on Facebook to contact him with ideas on music & or themes. Did I think any of my ideas would be picked? No. But I must have emailed a half dozen or so (with no response) before I gave up. There is little an alum can do when, for the most part, we are ignored by the organization. 

I am not one to be a cheer leader when there is nothing to cheer for.  What would I, or anyone for that matter,  have been able to do to stem the downward trend? Nothing! How can anyone not on staff affect the corps relevance or innovation other than to point out their concern? It saddens me to see corps like Mandarins besting the Regiment. However, they had a better product, so it wasn't really a surprise. The corps was lucky to finish 11th last year with that product. There were several corps below them that had better designed shows, including the Crossmen.

Lets say I had $1,000,000 to donate to the corps, is that all of the sudden going to make them relevant or innovative? Of course not. So, it's not a $$$ issue completely. I honestly don't know the answer to reversing the trend. I may be a 'homer' but I'm not myopic. I've seen many a post here and elsewhere after the concerts in the park that exclaimed, 'this is the best show they've had in years'. Yeah, how'd Phantasm turn out? Pretty poor. Great thought, poor design.

Perhaps the alumni need to be more vocal about our displeasure with the corps trajectory. Perhaps these concerns need to be directed to the corps rather than on here. Perhaps this one lone voice isn't enough to turn the tide.

• Like 2