Staff Merry-Go-Round 2019

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Its funny how winning generally takes care of things. Losing has a lot of finger pointing, people coming and going. When your losing, donorship falls off... so doesn't numbers of people willing to volunteer. Madison Scouts had no trouble in raising money and in getting volunteers, nor in getting marchers tio go there when they were winning. Phantom Regiment is going thru the same transition stages the Scouts are, but maybe not as far. They have current finance issues as well.

This is true winning or being a solid finalist helps BUT they were finalists and people left for many of the same reasons even then. It's happened to others also BUT for a few seemed to have a little self-awareness assessment and fixed it.

9 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

This is true winning or being a solid finalist helps BUT they were finalists and people left for many of the same reasons even then. It's happened to others also BUT for a few seemed to have a little self-awareness assessment and fixed it.

Hopkins was tolerated for years at Cadets. Corps was winning Titles and/ or, Medaling, despite staffers coming and going there for years and years under his Show Programming meddling ways. But once scores began to take a slide, the opportunity for Alums to regain control there presented itself, and they pounced on it. Hopkins sexual abuse sleazy ways revealed publically, coupled with scores backslide, finally caught up to him there, and former Alums took charge. Hopkins did not march Cadets, as you know.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Hopkins was tolerated for years at Cadets. Corps was winning Titles and/ or, Medaling, despite staffers coming and going there for years and years under his Show Program meddling ways. But once scores began to take a slide, the opportunity for Alums to regain control there presented itself, and they pounced on it. Hopkins sleazy ways, coupled with scores backslide, finally caught up to him there, and former Alums took charge. Hopkins did not march Cadets, as you know..

Totally different circumstance and all I will say is all alumni are not created equal:smile: even within the same organization. 

back to topic..well I guess it is..sorta..lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

might be some Vanguard Cadets staff available... if the rumors are true. 

BDB also. I knew they were going to drive it into the ground but one season is an all time record.

RIP

6 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Hopkins was tolerated for years at Cadets. Corps was winning Titles and/ or, Medaling, despite staffers coming and going there for years and years under his Show Programming meddling ways. But once scores began to take a slide, the opportunity for Alums to regain control there presented itself, and they pounced on it. Hopkins sexual abuse sleazy ways revealed publically, coupled with scores backslide, finally caught up to him there, and former Alums took charge. Hopkins did not march Cadets, as you know.

complete agree - it's the sad reality that we see sometimes in sports too - "winning trumps integrity"

I also think in Cadets class the recent empowerment of women via the "#metoo" movement helped folks band together and step up - which is fantastic and necessary for things to improve for the victim/survivor and future mm 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Totally different circumstance and all I will say is all alumni are not created equal:smile: even within the same organization. 

back to topic..well I guess it is..sorta..lol

The one constant though is that winning tends to obscure things that losing almost always brings to the surface... no matter the Corps, team, organization, etc... inside or outside of Drum Corps. The Madison Scouts have a fantastic opportunity to turn things around there. I wish JE nothing but the best in his endeavors to do this. The Scouts are currently in 16th place. Lots of new opportunity here to turn this placement slide around, imo

• Like 1

Just now, BRASSO said:

The one constant though is that winning tends to obscure things that losing almost always brings to the surface... no matter the Corps, team, organization, etc... inside or outside of Drum Corps. The Madison Scouts have a fantastic opportunity to turn things around there. I wish JE nothing but the best in his endeavors to do this. The Scouts are currently in 16th place. Lots of new opportunity here to turn this placement slide around, imo

Agree, Just hope some self awarness and looking within takes place. I think no matter what or who everyone wishes the Scouts the best . Losing the Scouts hurts all in the activity

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

Agree, Just hope some self awarness and looking within takes place. I think no matter what or who everyone wishes the Scouts the best . Losing the Scouts hurts all in the activity

Sadly, I know many alums from the corps that don't wish them the best. Some I marched with, some haven't supported the corps as spectators or donors since their marching years.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, flammaster said:

BDB also. I knew they were going to drive it into the ground but one season is an all time record.

RIP

What changed there the last few years, for them to decide not to tour outside Calif now  ?  Money issues ? 

7 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

What changed there the last few years, for them to decide not to tour outside Calif now  ?  Money issues ? 

Different CEO in recent years as well.

Keeping tour local allows more Cali parents to volunteer on the mini-tour as compared to heading off to Avon Lake or Ft. Edwards.

Particularly interesting is SCV's cut back in programs the past two years (no more WGI World Class guard, now no national tour for younger corps.)