"Do Not Enter! Be Quiet! Sit Down!" Stadium Etiquette

11 hours ago, MikeD said:

I was at Clifton stadium in NJ at a junior show, sponsored by the Cadets, in the early 2000's. That show attracted a lot of old-timers from the many NJ area corps of the 60's and 70's. There were a couple of guys wearing their corps t-shirts who were dissing everything being done by the modern corps as being so vastly inferior to their corps of the mid-60's. They were yelling up the stands to a couple of other guys from their old corps, and just making complete fools of themselves. 

It was so sad to see and hear these old bums, and the reaction of the younger audience members was about what you'd expect. They gave us other old-timers a very bad name. I was sitting near some Crown parents, and I made it a point to interact with them and let them know those guys were not representative of EVERYbody from old time drum corps.

Mid-2000s, I worked the YEA show in Westminster, MD, for several years. Each year at the end of the show, an old-timer from the Baltimore area (from my era and before, 1960s-70s)  would come up to me and complain.  "Not like it was when we marched... why can't they play tunes we know... all that dancing around instead of marching..." etc., etc.  The standard "Old Man Yells At Cloud" playlist. LOL

I finally asked him why be bothered spending money to come out, when he apparently didn't like anything he saw and heard.   He didn't have an answer.   

As if someone's attendance at a show can reset the clock to 1972.  :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol DCA Prelims years back had pair of young ladies so oblivious they a) kept talking during Corps performances and b) were so freaking loud. In between corps someone a section over yelled “no one gives a #### what Dave said” (name kept coming up in the conversation). When their mouths dropped open I stood up from TWO sections over and yelled that I heard it all too. Guy next to them just looked sick as he must have been with them.

I bet that guy was "Dave"...

1 hour ago, garfield said:

We're in Sec 240, the box level where Rondo and Crew stand, and this year, finally, we had a gate-guard with teeth.  Despite her diminutive 5'2" frame, she successfully shooed away all seat-jumpers and, especially, staff members.  We had a ball watching her calmly chewing her popcorn while shuffling people off using the kindness of a grandmother with a butcher knife.

Now that you mention it, I didn’t have to kick anyone out of my seat once this year.  It was a FM. 

17 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I bet that guy was "Dave"...

If it was, he was pretty gutless as that guy was getting trashed pretty bad lol. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

If it was, he was pretty gutless as that guy was getting trashed pretty bad lol. 

still cant top the fight down low at DCA prelims in 03. Like literally old men throwing punches

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the most uncomfortable was at the Dublin, OH show when the press box windows were left open and the judges were talking into their mics and machines.  It got very irritating before a few fans started to "Shush" him.  I was directly under him with my back to the press box so, in between shows, I asked him to either close the window or quiet down.  He was incredulous, affronted by our temerity for asking him to quiet down.  When I went into the press box to address him quietly, he didn't know or believe that I was a member of the show team until the percussion judge (from 20 miles up the road) confirmed that I was and that he, too, wished the judge would quiet down.

He got the message when his peer spoke up, at least, even if he didn't seem to care that fans paid premium prices to sit in the seats he was disturbing.

DCI East Prelims late 70s at Allentown. Bunch of Westshore drummers there and one of them snuck in a beer. In between corps usher takes the beer, walks waaay down the steps and pours out the beer in a drain or something. When he turned around couple of dozen people gave him a sarcastic standing ovation because he acted like a jerk dealing with the guy with the beer.

sorry I missed it

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The National Dream Contest at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ.

IMO, unrivaled in its totally un-PC lack of crowd control. LOL.

Held on  a Sunday afternoon in late July/early August... always hot, and beer was sold.  Heck... at least through the mid-1970s you could bring in a cooler with your own beverages. Bag checks at the gate??? Are you kidding me??? Of course not. :tongue:

Junior corps on first... senior corps in the second half.  By the time the senior corps went on, the crowd was pretty well-oiled.

I marched there with DCA's Sunrisers, late 1970s... and you'd be out on the field and seeing people fighting in the stands, people yelling at the various corps... stuff like "Hey Sun (or insert other corps' name here)... you guys SUCK!!!" or sometimes words of encouragement.... and, to top it off, people yelling across at each other, on various topics. :laughing:

"Don't enter or leave the seating area while a corps is on" etiquette??? Forget about it. Come and go as you please.

And did I mention beer was sold, the weather was broiling hot, and it was the NYC metro area, full of not-so-shy people???   :w00t:

We will never again see a show quite like it.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:
2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

still cant top the fight down low at DCA prelims in 03. Like literally old men throwing punches

Wasn't that because a guy had on a Boston Red Sox shirt in the Yankees triple A home stadium?

Two Yankee fans just walked down the aisle, pounded the guy bloody,  walked up the aisle and out of the stadium.

Hardly old men.  Thirty years old max.

7 minutes ago, cmhs59 said:

Wasn't that because a guy had on a Boston Red Sox shirt in the Yankees triple A home stadium?

Two Yankee fans just walked down the aisle, pounded the guy bloody,  walked up the aisle and out of the stadium.

Hardly old men.  Thirty years old max.

no, it was still Phillies then...hence why the place looked like a miniature Veterans Stadium, dead rats and all.

it was Cabs vs Brigs

• Like 1