A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

38 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

The University of Maryland is going through a situation involving their football program. By the rules, the UM school president is the only person who can fire the football coach and AD. He declined to do so Tuesday, under pressure from the Board of Regents who threatened to fire him if he did so (making a longer, messier backstory shorter here) ... but he then reversed course Wednesday and sent the coach packing. The point being... there are rules in place there, too... and the rules say "this person does that, those people do other stuff."  Like it or not, for better or worse. 

Wallace Loh (the president of U of M) has been the ONLY person running things at U of M who has had any backbone regarding that tragedy/fiasco. A young man died, everyone went into deep CYA mode except for him. Their Board of Regents.... I can't say what I really want to say about them here, which is a lot of old school really honked off Bari player talk.

18 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

I can't believe this is actually true! Not questioning you... but WOW!

Read the links on the Pioneer thread here or look at their website. I hope your fingernails are trimmed because you'll be doing a LOT of mind-blown headscratching as you read.

17 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

I think the issue is how Dan placed blame on the reporter for not sharing details with him yet the reporter rebuts him immediately to let folks know she has been asking to speak to him yet he has, to this point, refused. Dan is trying to have his cake and eat it to. Tell people he is being transparent yet not being forthright. I am gonna sound like a broken record here but if they had a real PR firm helping them (Like YEA had) instead of rely on the questionable advice of in-house staff I do not think this would be the S#$@ show this has become. This happened back in May, over the summer, and here we are again. 

I didn't take it as him blaming the reporter, more than I did him discussing the story coming out, personally.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Beat me to it. And earlier Garfield mentioned punishment for failure to comply with the new rules. What punishment is there except for not letting a corps play in DCIs pool?

That's pretty serious punishment, Jim. No tour... who will come and march? People don't join a DCI corps to do parades and standstills. Move to DCA? Been discussed here. Two general reactions- 1: DCA isn't as easy to get into as some people seem to think (and I do hope I am correct on that) and 2: potential members are looking for that "World Class Tour Experience", not to do DCA.

31 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

I think the issue is how Dan placed blame on the reporter for not sharing details with him yet the reporter rebuts him immediately to let folks know she has been asking to speak to him yet he has, to this point, refused. Dan is trying to have his cake and eat it to. Tell people he is being transparent yet not being forthright. I am gonna sound like a broken record here but if they had a real PR firm helping them (Like YEA had) instead of rely on the questionable advice of in-house staff I do not think this would be the S#$@ show this has become. This happened back in May, over the summer, and here we are again. 

agreed. DCi's PR on many issues has been horrible. Pretty much back to 1972

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

What book?

Building THE Green Machine

Edited by Jeff Ream

9 minutes ago, BigW said:

That's pretty serious punishment, Jim. No tour... who will come and march? People don't join a DCI corps to do parades and standstills. Move to DCA? Been discussed here. Two general reactions- 1: DCA isn't as easy to get into as some people seem to think (and I do hope I am correct on that) and 2: potential members are looking for that "World Class Tour Experience", not to do DCA.

you're very correct on DCA.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

I am gonna sound like a broken record here but if they had a real PR firm helping them (Like YEA had) instead of rely on the questionable advice of in-house staff I do not think this would be the S#$@ show this has become.  

For those who choose to rage, nothing will please them.  Then they will complain that DCI had to hire a third party to say that they care.  

21 minutes ago, BigW said:

Yes it’s serious but only card DCI has in its deck. My point was people post about punishment or forcing corps to do want DCI wants but DCI only has this one thing they can do. My point was DCI has its hands tied in enforcing anything.

anything like.... corps telling their members not to use the hot line... threat of continued DCI event ban sure ain’t moving that mess. And corps by laws might be screwing the pooch

Edited by JimF-LowBari