A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

29 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

you're right and it's also driven the investigators online tons of ammo to go searching for clues.

In the last 24 hours people have messaged me with "Joe Blow is off the Cavies staff page now" or "Heywood Jablowme isn't on SCV's page"  or even "Mike Hunt is off BD's site( and please.....note I am not using real names and I just picked two corps at random, I'm not rumor mongering, i don't have time to go digging through a corps staff listings page)......it's driven the frenzy over time. So now, anything that does come out is even more sensationalized in the event what comes out isn't significant enough. 

Completely agree... but very disappoint about Heywood. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Completely agree... but very disappoint about Heywood. 

Mike was more of a letdown

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

There are a number of people on here that have a lot more knowledge of the workings of DCI then I do.

After reading Acheson's comments and the posts here and previous threads I have a few questions:

1.Are there specific "violations" that trigger a corps suspension,or can a corps be suspended ,simply by DCI

determining  they have violated DCI's  bylaws,code of conduct etc. ?

2.If DCI decides a corps should be suspended,do DCI's rules have an appeal process,including an outside arbitrator ?

3.Who in DCI makes the decision that a suspension is warranted,i.e, can it be done by the CEO alone or does the 

DCI board have to be  involved ?

4.Here's a question for any lawyers on here:

If there is an accusation involving a minor and an adult,does the fact that corps travel across state lines,

have any impact ?

Re:  Nos 1 to 3:  I think it's important to specify in your questions whether you're speaking of prior to, or after, February 2018.

Re:  No.4 : Anytime a unit crosses a state line, the Feds get involved.

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCI has an attorney, one with deep ties to the Dept of Education

Who obviously doesn't understand the first thing about PR.

DCI's message:

After this issue has blown up in our face and hurt the activity,  we now have policies for reporting misconduct and censuring corps.  Sure beforehand we heard all kinds of things about bad behavior by directors and staff but our policy was "don't ask -- don't tell".  DCI was powerless to effect change back then but now things are different.  Trust us.

Unbelievable. 

Freaking unbelievable.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, karuna said:

Who obviously doesn't understand the first thing about PR.

DCI's message:

After this issue has blown up in our face and hurt the activity,  we now have policies for reporting misconduct and censuring corps.  Sure beforehand we heard all kinds of things about bad behavior by directors and staff but our policy was "don't ask -- don't tell".  DCI was powerless to effect change back then but now things are different.  Trust us.

Unbelievable. 

Freaking unbelievable.  

i didn't say it was well thought out. i just gave a little background info

13 minutes ago, garfield said:

Re:  Nos 1 to 3:  I think it's important to specify in your questions whether you're speaking of prior to, or after, February 2018.

Re:  No.4 : Anytime a unit crosses a state line, the Feds get involved.

I was posting in response to Acheson's comments and the responses on this thread.

So my questions concern  "here and now".

What the rules were before doesn't  really matter anymore.

i would think that whatever comes out will have to be dealt with under the rules the

are currently in place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i didn't say it was well thought out. i just gave a little background info

If Dan can’t face the press and answer questions honestly and thoroughly he needs to go.  Same for all the rest of the old guard. They are all hurting the activity.  And that applies to band, guard , and drum line world as well.  If you suspect abuse or misconduct you have a duty to report it.  You don’t need legal proof;  you just need a reasonable suspicion.  Doing nothing is not ok.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, karuna said:

Who obviously doesn't understand the first thing about PR. -- Which is why he's an attorney and not a PR person

My impression of DCI's message:

After this issue has blown up in our face and hurt the activity,  we now have policies for reporting misconduct and censuring corps.  Sure beforehand we heard all kinds of things about bad behavior by directors and staff but our policy was "don't ask -- don't tell"  that the individual drum corps directors have always voted to police themselves.  DCI was powerless to effect change back then but... now things are different.  Trust us...our new NON-CORPS-AFFILIATED Board Chair has adopted policies to centralize both the policing and enforcement of safety rules for all member corps.

Unbelievable. See below

Freaking unbelievable.  

Fixed those for you.

I'm curious if you were always under the mistaken impression that DCI's command and control functions were more expansive than they really are.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, garfield said:

Fixed those for you.

I'm curious if you were always under the mistaken impression that DCI's command and control functions were more expansive than they really are.

Look up mandated reporter.  I suspect every staff member, director, and DCI event staffer ALL qualify.  

As for hiding their head and saying "they wouldn't let us do anything",  guess what?  They can (and probably had a duty to) report to appropriate authorities if they suspect abuse of a minor.  

No one is buying the "I was powerless to act" nonsense.  They had a duty to report suspected abuse.  They failed.  They need to go.

In many states failing to report is a crime.  Failing to report when abuse is actually proven is often a felony.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1