A Message from DCI CEO Dan Acheson

49 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

If the corps wasn't going to act, then Dan should have. Just my opinion. The buck stops at Dan, for better or worse. 

Again, Dan A has always taken the position that his goal is to be exactly what his Board asks him to be.  None of his Board felt it appropriate to assign responsibility to act as you describe.  Had Dan actually acted as you describe, his Board would have had every reason they need to fire him for cause.

The STRUCTURE was established by the corps directors as voting Board members that decide(d) the direction of the activity and the responsibilities of its Executive.

I'm sorry, but you can't just blame Dan for not acting in a way that his Board did not instruct him to act.  Further, as Jeff pointed out, there is no case if there is no victim willing to come forward so all of Dan's 35 years of "secrets" are meaningless without one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Then why DOES Dan seemingly act every time AFTER being embarrassed by a reporter?  Does the reporter bringing something into the light of day make things verified facts?  No. Then why didn't Dan tell her, sorry, I need verified facts first?  And while we're at it, when there WERE verified facts concerning Joel Moody at Crossmen, why was the Crossmen director on the DCI BOD?  Did Dan not know?  By the way, is Fred Morrison still director at Crossmen?  

Yes, Fred Morrison is still director of Crossmen.  You should fire him immediately.  What are you waiting for?

What?  Only the Crossmen BOD can fire their own corps director?

Now you understand why Dan Acheson cannot grant your every wish.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, garfield said:

Again, Dan A has always taken the position that his goal is to be exactly what his Board asks him to be.  None of his Board felt it appropriate to assign responsibility to act as you describe.  Had Dan actually acted as you describe, his Board would have had every reason they need to fire him for cause.

The STRUCTURE was established by the corps directors as voting Board members that decide(d) the direction of the activity and the responsibilities of its Executive.

I'm sorry, but you can't just blame Dan for not acting in a way that his Board did not instruct him to act.  Further, as Jeff pointed out, there is no case if there is no victim willing to come forward so all of Dan's 35 years of "secrets" are meaningless without one.

Well said.

One of my best friends worked for DCI in the front office for a number of years, in marketing/promotions/event management.  He described DCI (the front office... Dan and the crew) as a booking agent for the tour... the facilitator of the tour, if you will... but that the corps (the BOD) made the rules, including codes of conduct, etc. (Or lack thereof. LOL)

So if the rules that were made said "We (the corps) handle this, that, and the other thing, and the front office does only this until we say otherwise"... then that's how it was done.

The University of Maryland is going through a situation involving their football program. By the rules, the UM school president is the only person who can fire the football coach and AD. He declined to do so Tuesday, under pressure from the Board of Regents who threatened to fire him if he did so (making a longer, messier backstory shorter here) ... but he then reversed course Wednesday and sent the coach packing. The point being... there are rules in place there, too... and the rules say "this person does that, those people do other stuff."  Like it or not, for better or worse.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Then why DOES Dan seemingly act every time AFTER being embarrassed by a reporter?  Does the reporter bringing something into the light of day make things verified facts?  No. Then why didn't Dan tell her, sorry, I need verified facts first?  And while we're at it, when there WERE verified facts concerning Joel Moody at Crossmen, why was the Crossmen director on the DCI BOD?  Did Dan not know?  By the way, is Fred Morrison still director at Crossmen?  

Is it entirely possible Dan doesn't know? I know you love to assume he's all knowing wizard of Pesceone, but he's not. And again.....before what June....the rules in place didn't cover Moody's situation. 

and legally without verification Dan can't do #### legally lest he open himself and DCI up to huge lawsuits for false claims, termination etc. In your quest for vengeance, you forget things like...oh...the law.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes, Fred Morrison is still director of Crossmen.  You should fire him immediately.  What are you waiting for?

What?  Only the Crossmen BOD can fire their own corps director?

Now you understand why Dan Acheson cannot grant your every wish.

hence why Roman is still involved at Pioneer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

So Dan's response from DCI in April took too long, and people take issue with things. This time he makes a statement regarding a new investigation before the reporter has it published, and now it's too early. What do we want? The reporter tweets that she wishes he hasn't, and people are up in arms and defending her. This is almost as bad as politics in the US. Not that I'm defending Dan in the least, but seems like regardless of how he handles any situation people are upset.  

I think the issue is how Dan placed blame on the reporter for not sharing details with him yet the reporter rebuts him immediately to let folks know she has been asking to speak to him yet he has, to this point, refused. Dan is trying to have his cake and eat it to. Tell people he is being transparent yet not being forthright. I am gonna sound like a broken record here but if they had a real PR firm helping them (Like YEA had) instead of rely on the questionable advice of in-house staff I do not think this would be the S#$@ show this has become. This happened back in May, over the summer, and here we are again. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

hence why Roman is still involved at Pioneer

I can't believe this is actually true! Not questioning you... but WOW!

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

some incidents, are actually mentioned in a book popular in our activity. Granted they are decades old, but out there

What book?

17 hours ago, Whiskey said:

It's just frustrating that certain corps are still waiting and hoping to ride out this storm.  This will not be good.  They may have the resources and the backing of powerful alumni, but is it really worth it to win at all costs?  We have a designer and future Hall of Famer who has been accused of some very bad things, but they're still there.  Granted these are only accusations but is a corps really willing to put everything at risk at this point and at this juncture? 

Unfortunately, I think that answer is yes. Seeing that a competitive HS unit this fall in this general area used an individual that plea bargained down to a misdemeanor charge corrupting the morals of a minor as their composer... I think groups are willing to take risk. It didn't take me long (under 15 seconds) to find the pertinent info online about the eventual outcome of the case. It was local news here.

All I know is this- no matter how good the material is... even if they don't actually work with the unit... one runs a risk of a parent finding out and going to the superintendent. Personally, it's not worth that risk...and for me, morally questionable and disturbing to me. I'd not do it.