“Failure to Protect”

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Lol they actually had us do those drills in the ‘60’s.  Sorry to hijack but I laughed remembering how futile it was... 

Similar futility by Dan Acheson desperately hiding under his desk hoping the blast wave leaves him unscathed.  

Be a leader, Dan!  Step down and make way for the healing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Lol they actually had us do those drills in the ‘60’s.  Sorry to hijack but I laughed remembering how futile it was... 

Funny thing we never did. Guess powers that be figured being within an hours drive of 2 military supply bases made us (if you’ll pardon the expression) toast anyway. 

• Haha 1

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Funny thing we never did. Guess powers that be figured being within an hours drive of 2 military supply bases made us (if you’ll pardon the expression) toast anyway. 

They made us do the same exact drill for tornadoes.  So I guess tornadoes = thermonuclear warfare in the Chicago suburbs of the ‘60’s.  Who knew?

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

We had to go to our school cafeteria which was on the basement level, and get under the tables.

Because hey.... the first place targeted by Soviet military planners would be a Catholic grammar school in the NJ suburbs. :laughing:

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

We had to go to our school cafeteria which was on the basement level, and get under the tables.

Because hey.... the first place targeted by Soviet military planners would be a Catholic grammar school in the NJ suburbs. :laughing:

We’d all have been vaporized anyway! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, karuna said:

Because it fits your fantasy.

The CEO is not the face of DCI?  WHAT?  

lol you're delusional.  

• Acheson's resignation will not destroy DCI.  
  • The DCI staff will not all quit when he resigns.
  • Tour will proceed as normal.
  • An interim CEO will be found from inside the activity.
  • The search for a new CEO will find a good replacement.
  • The world will continue to turn

THOSE are facts.

When Acheson is FORCED to resign because the reporters put together the right sources to prove he was aware of at least one case of sexual abuse and did not report it,  the scandal will be MUCH larger than otherwise would be the case.  Hiding from the press and pretending everything is going to be just fine moving forward is magical thinking on his(and your) part.  And the BOD will not act to force his resignation because THEY are as guilty as he is and are active participants in this doomed strategy of duck-and-cover.  

I thought facts were about real events that occurred, listed above are opinions. Thinking a reporter will make Dan resign is delusional, or wishful thinking. I wouldn't give an opinion on why Dan may be forced to resign because I hope it never occurs.

Why predict doom or warn us about Dan's demise how is that making the MM's safe on tour. The reporter gave her best shot and failed to prove that dci caused the harm to the individuals who came forward but could have, maybe. I feel for those women and what they went through. I am sure all of us do. But as far as dci being the culprit it's not there it is a wake-up call to make sure it does not happen at camps or on tour.

Do I think there are other dci skeletons in the closet of folks may be just as well known as GH with similar circumstances, would be lying if I said I didn't. I also believe they are tied up in NDA's and gag orders that the reporter couldn't crack and that was the hold-up and reasons why interviews were not granted. Everything is not what it seems and our legal system has protections that are designed to hide the truth.

Here is a tragic story involving sexual misconduct in drum corps that goes back 40 years and was not setteled till 2016. 

http://www.comingforward.ca/donna-bells-trial-its-about-time/

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

I thought facts were about real events that occurred, listed above are opinions. Thinking a reporter will make Dan resign is delusional, or wishful thinking. I wouldn't give an opinion on why Dan may be forced to resign because I hope it never occurs.

Why predict doom or warn us about Dan's demise how is that making the MM's safe on tour. The reporter gave her best shot and failed to prove that dci caused the harm to the individuals who came forward but could have, maybe. I feel for those women and what they went through. I am sure all of us do. But as far as dci being the culprit it's not there it is a wake-up call to make sure it does not happen at camps or on tour.

Do I think there are other dci skeletons in the closet of folks may be just as well known as GH with similar circumstances, would be lying if I said I didn't. I also believe they are tied up in NDA's and gag orders that the reporter couldn't crack and that was the hold-up and reasons why interviews were not granted. Everything is not what it seems and our legal system has protections that are designed to hide the truth.

NDA's?  You severely overestimate the sophistication of DCI and it's member corps.  Many staff members are *still* hired without a formal contract (although perhaps that has changed in the past few months).  

Focusing only on moving forward without rooting out the rot will results in lots of great sounding ideas and no real change.  It will take both.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, garfield said:

Serious question and looking for input:

The issue that Jim keeps making is that "...in PA..." it is this way or that, and he doesn't speak about other states.

Some here have said that different jurisdictions have differing rules regarding reporting, among other requirements.

The notion of centralizing and coordinating all of the various jurisdictions (down to the individual school districts) seems like a nearly-insurmountable obstacle.

How would such a program work at DCI (or whatever central office is chosen to execute it)?

I'm just looking for some visions of how such a thing would look and operate is all.

An FBI fingerprint criminal background check (Act88 in PA) would be a start.