“Failure to Protect”

On 12/16/2018 at 3:19 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

I don't speak about other states because I only know about PA. And what I have talked about is who has to report only. Others from PA have picked up on how the state handles getting the word out via website or whatever.

As for the school districts I'd think they would be governed by state law so down to 50 jurisdictions plus Puerto Rico and Guam (working with them this week so can't forget them).  

I'd start by looking at Indiana law as DCI hq is there. But problem is the ones that slip thru the cracks due to not tripping the right switch to be reported. Not sure at that

Indiana law is that all adults are mandated reporters.

But only in cases where the victim is a child--which would make it apply in some but not all cases that have come to light.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

12/19/2018 and Fred Morrison is still the executive director of the Crossmen drum and bugle corps. Morrison knowingly hired as a staff member a man he knew had been stripped of his teaching license in the state of Florida for sexting an underage student.  Making matters worse, Fred Morrison subsequently paid to try to erase the person’s paper trail. Is this the kind of person who should be an executive director of a drum and bugle corps today?  Yet he remains in place.

WHY?

Question #2:  Why has Dan Acheson failed to take definitive action against the Crossmen to get Fred Morrison removed, as he did with Cadets to get Hopkins removed?  Is Dan Acheson applying the rules equitably?  Is he playing favorites?

Have you contacted the Crossmen and their Board of Directors? I don't disagree with you that Morrison should step down because of how he handled this, but rather than shouting at DCI, shout at the Crossmen first. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Have you contacted the Crossmen and their Board of Directors? I don't disagree with you that Morrison should step down because of how he handled this, but rather than shouting at DCI, shout at the Crossmen first. 

No thank you. Both are equally the problem as far as I’m concerned. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigW said:

I think the expunging stuff is the one that I find amazing, as in the case of Moody. In PA, your certification is gone for things like that, not suspended. Misconduct like that gets it yanked, not suspended here. While I think of it... you're implying when that suspension is done, that record of suspension is expunged? The question then becomes in the interview, "Well, why did you leave teaching for 5 years?" In Moody's case... I guess it would be they look at the resume and say "Wow! he had a gig with Crossmen!" Yoiks.

On reference checks you can ask the former employer if they are eligible for rehire or simply would you rehire. Sure warning sign if they are not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Studied some of this stuff in reading some chunky history texts on the subject. Until the H-Bomb and they began to make a lot of bombs, yeah, you stood some chance if you took certain precautions far enough away, and it wasn't all that far. Once the H-Bomb showed up an order of magnitude more powerful and a lot more of them... well that's when it all became pretty silly.

There was an obituary story, a few years back, of a Japanese man who survived both atomic bombings.  He had passed away at age 93.

He was in Hiroshima on business that fateful day. He was injured in the first blast, but then traveled back to his hometown... Nagasaki.  You can't make this stuff up.  LOL.

Here's the Wiki link to his story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Yamaguchi

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

12/19/2018 and Fred Morrison is still the executive director of the Crossmen drum and bugle corps. Morrison knowingly hired as a staff member a man he knew had been stripped of his teaching license in the state of Florida for sexting an underage student.  Making matters worse, Fred Morrison subsequently paid to try to erase the person’s paper trail. Is this the kind of person who should be an executive director of a drum and bugle corps today?  Yet he remains in place.

WHY?

Question #2:  Why has Dan Acheson failed to take definitive action against the Crossmen to get Fred Morrison removed, as he did with Cadets to get Hopkins removed?  Is Dan Acheson applying the rules equitably?  Is he playing favorites?

#2....i guess resigning from the executive board in May when the Moody story first came out was enough....until the new stuff hit last week. 

33 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

shout at both...the new code of conduct and all we keep seeing hyped

23 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

On reference checks you can ask the former employer if they are eligible for rehire or simply would you rehire. Sure warning sign if they are not. 

and in todays HR world, a growing majority of companies will only tell you the dates they worked there and that's it. it's a legal CYA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

WHY?

DCI has the ability to prevent a drum corps from being affiliated with DCI and performing in its shows (being "affiliated" means the corps can use its DCI membership to promote itself).

DCI doesn't have the power to remove a corps director; they only can lay down requirements under which the org can continue their affiliation with DCI and performance in their shows.

Your understanding of the events that got Hopkins removed are not accurate.  

I understand your anger and passion, but at least ask the right question: 

"Why has DCI not taken the same proactive affiliation and performance action against the Crossmen that they did with the governance teams of both Cadets and Pioneer?"

Also, Fred Morrison made a bad decision to hire someone for altruistic reasons that he later learned to be wrong.  When called on it, he gruffed but got rid of the person.  It sounds now like you want Morrison specifically punished for that decision, is that correct? 

Just so I'm clear, you want DCI to inform the Crossmen board that, until Morrison is removed from any affiliation with the Crossmen organization, they are prevented from participating in DCI events and they are no longer able to "affiliate" with DCI, is that correct?  And, I suspect you'd also ask that DCI include a general informational "memo" to member corps (and public pronouncement on their social presence) that the same rules of exclusion and de-affiliation will apply to any DCI member or performance group.  Is that correct?

Have you considered writing that in an email to Dan@DCI.org and signing your name to it?

EDIT: After having read your response to Slingerland, I know you'll say the same about Dan.  So, have you considered penning it to Kathy Black, the first unaffiliated Board Chair of DCI in the history of the activity?  It might not be like you presume it to be based on your experience.  "Past performance is not an indicator of..." diddly-squat, really. YA' GOTTA GET INVOLVED, PEOPLE!

Edited by garfield

1 minute ago, garfield said:

DCI has the ability to prevent a drum corps from being affiliated with DCI and performing in its shows (being "affiliated" means the corps can use its DCI membership to promote itself).

DCI doesn't have the power to remove a corps director; they only can lay down requirements under which the org can continue their affiliation with DCI and performance in their shows.

Your understanding of the events that got Hopkins removed are not accurate.  

I understand your anger and passion, but at least ask the right question: 

"Why has DCI not taken the same proactive affiliation and performance action against the Crossmen that they did with the governance teams of both Cadets and Pioneer?"

Also, Fred Morrison made a bad decision to hire someone for altruistic reasons that he later learned to be wrong.  When called on it, he gruffed but got rid of the person.  It sounds now like you want Morrison specifically punished for that decision, is that correct? 

Just so I'm clear, you want DCI to inform the Crossmen board that, until Morrison is removed from any affiliation with the Crossmen organization, is that correct?  And, I suspect you'd also ask that DCI include a general informational "memo" to member corps (and public pronouncement on their social presence) that the same rules of exclusion and de-affiliation will apply to any DCI member or performance group.  Is that correct?

Have you considered writing that in an email to Dan@DCI.org and signing your name to it?

but now, we see he paid for the bad stuff to get removed from anywhere it could possibly found. Gee, to me....that's kinda, well...####....deceptive? Aka, if I pay to make it disappear, it won't cause me future problems?