“Failure to Protect”

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

I dont know if they lost or made....the point is once this issue came to a head with police involvement the day of the show, the school president said "buhbye" to anything drum corps. it's been documented on here before, you blew it off defending Dan and the board.

making or losing money wasn't even a consideration...the venue decided to never do anything with drum corps again. I believe the show was tied to the Cavaliers too

You made the contention that Dan's office somehow failed because this venue ended its relationship with DCI, not me.

If DCI replaced the income they lost in future years from this venue, and if DCI wasn't responsible for assuring that members of unaffiliated performance groups are properly vetted, I'm having a hard time understanding how losing this venue is evidence that DCI didn't do its job.

25 minutes ago, Lance said:

Since half of DCI world class corps have been proven to hire people who have gotten in trouble for inappropriate contact with minors, I'm relieved that you didn't find it surprising.  

To the corps that keep their noses clean, good for them.  They have nothing to worry about.

I'm not surprised that you're relieved that he isn't surprised.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

all new. did you read the article? The show staff resigned. 

Yes, but the contention that the staff resigning is somehow a reflection of OC policies must not be correct if they have a full staff this year.

Right?

Edited by garfield

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

so no mandated reporting for a sex offender violating their terms. Ok. But..it DID cost DCi a venue, as nothing has run there since. That's Dans wheelhouse. Why wouldnt he want to know why a venue that had been run several times was no longer welcoming DCI back?

and Kilties have to be an affiliate member to perform at DCI shows.

I see a parallel thought here implied, Jeff, and I'm creeped out.

When the Second Mile (Sandusky's charity for troubled kids) was told Sandusky was no longer welcome to bring kids to Penn State Games.... evidently they didn't ask why. One would freakin' think they would have said "That's terrible, what happened, and why!?" They evidently did not ask.

Monetary issues aside, one would have thought the question would have been raised as to the reasons if the reasons were not given out. Yes, some contests I'd think would be pulled of they were losing money or not making enough... gut if that venue held a contest for several years then dropped it...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, garfield said:

Yes, but the contention that the staff resigning is somehow a reflection of OC policies must not be correct if they have a full staff this year.

Right?

The last staff left. The new staff-- the opportunities to get those positions aren't easy. My guess is they jumped at the opportunity to get their foot in the door anywhere. Sometimes in those cases, what happened previously doesn't matter one whit. You take what you can get and parley it into something bigger down the road. Done all the time in College and Pro Football, otherwise several teams would have no one as a coach because of the bad reputations of certain teams, their ownership and management, and culture.

Edited by BigW

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCI didnt run the Hershey show, which that cancellation ended up in a huge lawsuit, and Dan testified via phone ( i was in the courtroom). So it's quite clear losing any venue, regardless of who runs the show, is a concern for Dan right? or just certain ones cause he liked the promoter?

No, it's not clear at all.  

A contract with the show host is a contract.  Disputes over that contract would, naturally, include a representative of each side of that contract.  Which is exactly in Dan's job description.  Not surprised at all he would testify by phone if he were asked to represent DCI's side of the disagreement.

Re: the bolded part: maybe THAT'S why they cancelled Dublin!  Now I can believe that.

25 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just remember they said their biggest mistake was publicly thanking the predator. 

Think about it....

That sure was a " mistake "... but compared to other " mistakes " they made along the way, this one in their press release pales to the other " mistakes " they made, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BigW said:

The last staff left. The new staff-- the opportunities to get those positions aren't easy. My guess is they jumped at the opportunity to get their foot in the door anywhere. Sometimes in those cases, what happened previously doesn't matter one whit. You take what you can get and parley it into something bigger down the road.

Wait, so you're suggesting that the new staff would likely take the open positions and ignore whatever problems caused the prior staff to leave?

Wouldn't we just say that the new staff is enabling OC bad practices by filling the open positions?

Or is this also evidence that OC stated policy and practice changes are real and there's not that problem any more.

Kind of like "Move on, nothing more to see here".

26 minutes ago, garfield said:

Right?

In the Philly article at the bottom it is spelled out that the old staff left because corps refused to clean up the predator issue. As for new staff would be interesting to know why this didn’t keep them from accepting. Unless they believed that OCs new policy has made everything clean.

new policy (aka what’s written on a piece of paper) does not guarantee no further problems down the road. It also does not guarantee that corps leaders “get it”. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Just because a Corps, or DCI HQ puts words together that they intend to change and enforce new policies, means that they actually will. The proof really is in the pudding so to speak. We really won't know if there is substantive change until such time as people see ACTION, nor glowing words, promises, expressions of " we will not tolerate abuse. misconduct" and yada yada.

• Like 3