Then vs Now

6 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I removed a series of pots that had nothing to do with the topic and linked to an article discussing topics outside of DCP guidelines.  

Cooking pots or posters with Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome?

Edited by Ghost

Does anyone else remember (translation: is old enough...LOL)  to remember "The Super Fight" which was shown in movie theaters in 1970? 

Long story shorter, it was a simulated boxing match between Muhammad Ali and Rocky Marciano, two great heavyweights who had never actually met in the ring. The two were filmed sparring with each other, and the footage was edited, with various data entered into a computer to determine which man would win such a fight.

You can google the Wiki page on this for more info.  But I wonder if something like that could be possible with drum corps.... a simulated "championship" between several corps of, say, the 1970s-80s, and several from today's era.  Or, just a two-corps showdown... one champ from an earlier era, and one from today. Judged on whatever criteria is agreed upon... maybe a mix of different systems from different eras? Who knows. 

Of course, the results would be largely, if not entirely,  subjective.  Heck, even in the Super Fight,  there were two different endings shown to different audiences... one with Marciano winning, the other with Ali as the winner.

And yes, I do have a bit too much time on my hands tonight. :laughing:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Does anyone else remember (translation: is old enough...LOL)  to remember "The Super Fight" which was shown in movie theaters in 1970? 

Long story shorter, it was a simulated boxing match between Muhammad Ali and Rocky Marciano, two great heavyweights who had never actually met in the ring. The two were filmed sparring with each other, and the footage was edited, with various data entered into a computer to determine which man would win such a fight.

You can google the Wiki page on this for more info.  But I wonder if something like that could be possible with drum corps.... a simulated "championship" between several corps of, say, the 1970s-80s, and several from today's era.  Or, just a two-corps showdown... one champ from an earlier era, and one from today. Judged on whatever criteria is agreed upon... maybe a mix of different systems from different eras? Who knows. 

Of course, the results would be largely, if not entirely,  subjective.  Heck, even in the Super Fight,  there were two different endings shown to different audiences... one with Marciano winning, the other with Ali as the winner.

And yes, I do have a bit too much time on my hands tonight. :laughing:

Wide World of Sports had a highlight of that I remember. But a computer came up with the results.... which shows you scores are as good as what goes into them (garbage in garbage out). Sad thing was Rocky passed right after the filming of him and Ali.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

But I wonder if something like that could be possible with drum corps.... a simulated "championship" between several corps of, say, the 1970s-80s, and several from today's era.  Or, just a two-corps showdown... one champ from an earlier era, and one from today. Judged on whatever criteria is agreed upon... maybe a mix of different systems from different eras? Who knows. 

I'll let BRASSO use up some x's and o's to reply, but in boxing, you can see the punches.  Comparing a tick era against non tick era would be interesting.  Seems to me other ideas, even if way different from yours, have pretty much been shot down for many various reasons.

Edited by Ghost

27 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I'll let BRASSO use up some x's and o's to reply, but in boxing, you can see the punches.  Comparing a tick era against non tick era would be interesting.  Seems to me other ideas, even if way different from yours, have pretty much been shot down for many various reasons.

Oh, I agree it probably will never happen... just spitballin' here.  LOL.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wide World of Sports had a highlight of that I remember. But a computer came up with the results.... which shows you scores are as good as what goes into them (garbage in garbage out). Sad thing was Rocky passed right after the filming of him and Ali.

Yep... Wide World is where I remember seeing that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

I removed a series of pots 

..... and pans ?:peek:

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

Cooking pots or posters with Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome?

the kind with way too much overtone when struck with acrylic mallets

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

except tick era ticks varied from judge to judge as there was never a set criteria of what a tick truly was

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

except tick era ticks varied from judge to judge as there was never a set criteria of what a tick truly was

Absolutely.

Then there were the famed "tolerance levels"... especially late season and at the championships. When a mistake the week before was not necessarily a mistake on championship weekend.  LOL.