Then vs Now

32 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Absolutely.

Then there were the famed "tolerance levels"... especially late season and at the championships. When a mistake the week before was not necessarily a mistake on championship weekend.  LOL.

Look up tolerance level in the drum corps dictionary... it tells you to reference Red Carpet Association lol....

few years we did both RCA and DCA. Quote from those years during a practice run thru.. “it’s DCA this weekend... EXECUTE bleep it EXECUTE “.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Absolutely.

Then there were the famed "tolerance levels"... especially late season and at the championships. When a mistake the week before was not necessarily a mistake on championship weekend.  LOL.

in percussion world preference for tuning played a huge part. in 75, the battle between Sky and the Yankee Rebels came down to who judged finals night. Judge A loved Sky's tuning, even if it made them sound fuzzy, and jumped on the Rebs because their tuning exposed everything. Judge B loved the Rebels tuning and gave it up because he thought Sky's tuning consistently added a layer of fuzz where you couldn't tell if truly clean, or fuzzy.

B judged finals, Rebels won, thus allowing Dad and I to celebrate high percussion trophies 20 years apart

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, Stu said:

Nowhere have I said my morals should be imposed, and neither have I spewed vitriol at any other's opinions. I am merely questioning where the appropriateness line exists for the adults within a youth activity. So you are fine with an adult male oogling at female youth in short shorts and calling them sex cymbals in front other youth females. That is your perogotive, and I am not judging you. That honesty is all I was asking for, thank you.

Ah but you are imposing your morals by inferring what others may not find offensive as being offensive. And the "youths" in many of the corps you are judging (and you are judging via your commentary) are actually adults.  There are far more offensive things on TV and in newspapers, if that's what you look for. There is no little amount of that anyway in mass media,  on that I am sure we would agree. Your wordsmithing infers if we don't concur that what you declare is offensive morally unacceptable, then there is something off in our moral acceptance of a youth activity.  I, as you, and all other posters on DCP, can decide for ourselves what we like or don't,  what we personally find offensive or not, what we find entertaining or not,  and have a discussion about it without inferring that we spew vitriol, or are being dishonest in some manner about accepting some level of exploitation of todays youth activities.  All that being said; I don't think there is ogling of anyone in a corps wearing short shorts (short shorts, that's funny).  If you are nervous about your own ability to not look at females as you described, performing in a drum corps show in front of thousand of people including their parents and family member, then that is a you problem not an anyone else problem. And I would recommend not going to a beach on a hot summer day.  That's all, moving on.

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Look up tolerance level in the drum corps dictionary... it tells you to reference Red Carpet Association lol....

few years we did both RCA and DCA. Quote from those years during a practice run thru.. “it’s DCA this weekend... EXECUTE bleep it EXECUTE “.

you had the same thing with DCI and the various regional circuits.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

in percussion world preference for tuning played a huge part. in 75, the battle between Sky and the Yankee Rebels came down to who judged finals night. Judge A loved Sky's tuning, even if it made them sound fuzzy, and jumped on the Rebs because their tuning exposed everything. Judge B loved the Rebels tuning and gave it up because he thought Sky's tuning consistently added a layer of fuzz where you couldn't tell if truly clean, or fuzzy.

B judged finals, Rebels won, thus allowing Dad and I to celebrate high percussion trophies 20 years apart

That night was funny as Hades... Cabs, Buccs and Sky fighting for top spot and each winning a caption (GE, horns, M&M). Then you hear..: “and the award for high percussion... the Baltimore Yankee Rebels”. 

11 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Ah but you are imposing your morals by inferring what others may not find offensive as being offensive. And the "youths" in many of the corps you are judging (and you are judging via your commentary) are actually adults.  There are far more offensive things on TV and in newspapers, if that's what you look for. There is no little amount of that anyway in mass media,  on that I am sure we would agree. Your wordsmithing infers if we don't concur that what you declare is offensive morally unacceptable, then there is something off in our moral acceptance of a youth activity.  I, as you, and all other posters on DCP, can decide for ourselves what we like or don't,  what we personally find offensive or not, what we find entertaining or not,  and have a discussion about it without inferring that we spew vitriol, or are being dishonest in some manner about accepting some level of exploitation of todays youth activities.  All that being said; I don't think there is ogling of anyone in a corps wearing short shorts (short shorts, that's funny).  If you are nervous about your own ability to not look at females as you described, performing in a drum corps show in front of thousand of people including their parents and family member, then that is a you problem not an anyone else problem. And I would recommend not going to a beach on a hot summer day.  That's all, moving on.

I heart you. Be prepared for blowback

13 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

That night was funny as Hades... Cabs, Buccs and Sky fighting for top spot and each winning a caption (GE, horns, M&M). Then you hear..: “and the award for high percussion... the Baltimore Yankee Rebels”. 

a john Flowers masterpiece. Sky was no slouch either

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

And now, I don't even know if I would call it "tuning" per say. Hiding anything now in a snare line especially is like trying to hide a bowling ball on a putting green. 

Crank it higher Winston! I guess that's why we have free floaters now. But good LORD they're so much better quality drums now. Night and day.

Just now, Weaklefthand4ever said:

And now, I don't even know if I would call it "tuning" per say. Hiding anything now in a snare line especially is like trying to hide a bowling ball on a putting green. 

Crank it higher Winston! I guess that's why we have free floaters now. But good LORD they're so much better quality drums now. Night and day.

the real key to getting a tone is in the bottom head and the guts. you'll only get so much out of the top heads these days.