The Marching Arts

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Heck, Ginny Thornburg (Wife of the then PA Governor) called us a band to our faces circa 1981 when the majority of the hornline had Piston Rotor horns....

because to the general public at large, then or now, none gave a #### about the differences

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

because to the general public at large, then or now, none gave a #### about the differences

Lol and how many times here and other places someone says “this idiot asked what band I was in and I chewed them out”. Nothing like being ambassador of good will.... Other person probably walked away thinking the difference was Corps people are real buttholes

33 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah given many of the things said about DCI's business practices, i'm not sure we'd call them trained LOL

I want to be specific as I presumed the OP was referring to the Board/corps directors; his disdain for Acheson being more than clear.  And I was probably too emphatic - running drum corps well is surely a business and trial-by-fire training running a corps is probably worth an educational degree or two.  But it appears that the OP was referring to actual business-degreed executives when he knows full-well that the large preponderance of current directors began as musicians, band directors, and artist performers. No disrespect intended to any of those career paths.  

Edited by garfield
Darn autocorrect

7 hours ago, BigW said:

Heck, Ginny Thornburg (Wife of the then PA Governor) called us a band to our faces circa 1981 when the majority of the hornline had Piston Rotor horns....

7 hours ago, BigW said:

Yes, it was extremely insulting to be called a "Band". Reference early post regarding Ginny Thornburg. We were VERY unamused at that. Some old clown started up with that at a Scranton DCA show about 5-6 years ago and I was within a hair's breadth of telling him to shut up before I started slapping him senseless

Stu: "Nice automoblie!"

BigW: "This here is a truck! See that car over there? That is an automobile! This here is a truck!"

Stu: "Ummm... Both cars and trucks have internal combustion engines and travel on four wheels; by definition they both are automobiles."

BigW: "Go ahead and say that again; insult me one more time; say that this here truck is an automobile and I am going to slap you senseless!"

Stu: "Ok.... It actually and really is an aut...."

(Stu gets slapped and a fight breaks out)

Edited by Stu

9 hours ago, BigW said:

Scout House has always used "Band" in their nomenclature, haven't they?

Yes and the key of their "bugles" was Bb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even back in the day, when someone would ask me what drum corps was... I'd tell them it was a summer version of marching band, without woodwinds. 

And numerous times at parades, we'd be asked "where is your band from?" No big deal.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Even back in the day, when someone would ask me what drum corps was... I'd tell them it was a summer version of marching band, without woodwinds. 

And numerous times at parades, we'd be asked "where is your band from?" No big deal.

That was even more so true here in Quebec where the term Drum & Bugle corps didn't even exist.  There was the term "corps de clairon", which means Bugle corps and also "Clique musicale".  

45 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I’d say a music group with just horns and drums. Figure any more detail and the eyeballs would roll back in their head. There’s that 10 second rule I read earlier. 

And no problem if get called a band at a parade as figure they didn’t know any better and at least they cared enough to ask. Think for BigW it was at a show so person just being a jerk as they did know better.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’d say a music group with just horns and drums. Figure any more detail and the eyeballs would roll back in their head. There’s that 10 second rule I read earlier. 

And no problem if get called a band at a parade as figure they didn’t know any better and at least they cared enough to ask. Think for BigW it was at a show so person just being a jerk as they did know better.

Glad you were not insulted. Gotta ask though: Who were the ones that really didn't know better?

Marching: To move in measured step within an organized body.

Band: A company of people functioning together as one unit.

Marching Band: A group of music intrumentalists and performers marching together.

So again, who were the ones that really didn't know better?