Vic Firth/Zildjian no longer DCI partner

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Jeff, Gar, Weak, gbass, Fred, JimF, BigW, et. al....

I just went to Bubba Foods website. There is a page about sponsorships that even has a photo of a medium size stadium at the top of the page. It reads:

"At BUBBA burger, we believe that strong partnerships build a better community and mutually beneficial growth. If you are interested in a sponsorship opportunity with BUBBA Burger, please contact us for further information."

Please note what I put in italic font!! Bubba may or may not want to connect with DCI. However if I can find that page, so can someone at DCI. Just sayin'!!!!!

and again, you need someone qualified to work on these types of projects, that type of person doesn't come cheap

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Not my job to know; have DCI find out. They are the ones needing sponsorships not me.

right, you're the expert until, ya know, called out on how you would do it

41 minutes ago, Stu said:

So you know for sure that DCI has in fact attempted to secure Boudreaux's Butt Paste and Bubba Burger as corporate sponsors. Interesting.

I do know they approached Under Armour, and UA saw no point in it, despite the fact corps kids and bad kids wear their stuff all the time

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

I do know they approached Under Armour, and UA saw no point in it, despite the fact corps kids and bad kids wear their stuff all the time

See what I posted to Gar about DCI not wasting time going after big kahunas.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

right, you're the expert until, ya know, called out on how you would do it

Not an expert; nevet claimed to be. But I would secure some sort of sponsors if that was what I was tasked to do. That is for d### sure.

22 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

PBS went under because drum corps fans didn't follow up with their pledged amounts

Yes and no. Some folks on DCP have made that claim before, and others have disagreed, including someone who claimed 125,000,000 people watched it, but the truth is probably in the middle. When DCI was broadcast on PBS, it was during their amateur days with pledge drives, about the same time they had folks getting on afternoon broadcasts of “Sesame Street” threatening to take Big Bird away if Mom and Dad did not donate (that actually happened). This also happened at a time Federal funding for Public Television was beginning to be cut as was the funding for the National Endowment for the Arts. PBS could no longer afford much of its programming and if you add cable, PBS had competition it did not have years earlier. 

PBS also changed how it raised money. They began focusing on memberships where people made a donation, got a membership card and got discounts at local businesses. They also began purchasing material for pledge drives rather than producing it on their own, though some well funded stations did produce the content. Usually content from stars that had a broader appeal such as Yanni, Andre Rieu, Sarah Brightnan, Andrea Bocelli were featured and this was very successful. Soon acts like Libera, Celtic Women, Celtic Thunder, and IL Volo sought out PBS to feature them on pledge drives because of the great exposure. Now PBS is moving away from the star studded fundraisers, upping the quality of its regular broadcasts, think Masterpiece and “Downton Abbey,” “Victoria,” “Poldark,” and “Call the Midwife” and offers opportunities for sustained giving, which works well for me.

DCI fans may not always have paid their pledges, and I’m sure they are not alone, but  there were other factors too. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

and again, you need someone qualified to work on these types of projects, that type of person doesn't come cheap

Yes skill sets are required. But we are not talking NFL here. It is a rather small corporation that needs an honest and personable person who loves the chalenges of closing deals dedicated to the task. Heck, offer an internship to an undergrad senior majoring in marketing and agree to providie a scholarship up to a full ride for master's studies based on sponsorship revenue collected. Think outside the d### box!!!!!

Edited by Stu

Another thing about PBS and DCI is I understand their number of viewers were going down. So like any good business they looked for other things to draw in the buck$. Also to go with TimKs post they no longer have a nation wide event on a set date like DCI. Now local stations run shows with pledge breaks whenever they want. Easier to pick a better date and time to do it... or fill dead air.

Sad part is the target audience is not getting any younger. Locally have had fund raisers with 60s music, do woo groups and Pete Seeger and Woody Guthie. Been having them for 20 years now so still after same getting older group. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

13 hours ago, Stu said:

For a while they got McDonalds and Tombstone, however that was to pay for TV time. I will bet a dollar to a doughnt that nobody at DCI, or BOA or WGI for that matter, has ever even imagined getting outside the marching arts box and approach Bubba Burger or Boudreaux Butt paste for regular corporate sponsorship.

I remember Tombstone pizza very well. As a kid marching in the south, I had never even heard HEARD of Tombstone until DCI.