Chops and MBI

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

The Whole Winston Salem experiment in 2005 was to broaden that base. yes it rained before the show was to start, but $40+ tickets prices for 6 corps in a market no one knew about DCA....what did they expect? They got maybe 3000 people in a mid size NCAA stadium that made the crowd look tiny. Yeah I tied it into a vacation and went, but who made money on it? I doubt anyone, especially since it hasn't been tried again. 

Oh and across the street at the arena, a monster truck show drew 13,000 people.

I can say the Bushwackers made a pile of money going to WS in 2005. Our bus bill was payed by the committee plus we received a healthy paycheck on top of it not to mention the member fee collected for  a 3 day trip that included all their meals. A fun trip for sure and very lucrative for the corps bank account.The only downer was the "Evil" sponsor  of the LMS on Friday night "forgot" to pay the corps their fee for performing, It was months until the corps got their promised fee, sometime late fall of 2005.

A memorable trip down south for a Jersey corps, good times!

J

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBD said:

I can say the Bushwackers made a pile of money going to WS in 2005. Our bus bill was payed by the committee plus we received a healthy paycheck on top of it not to mention the member fee collected for  a 3 day trip that included all their meals. A fun trip for sure and very lucrative for the corps bank account.The only downer was the "Evil" sponsor  of the LMS on Friday night "forgot" to pay the corps their fee for performing, It was months until the corps got their promised fee, sometime late fall of 2005.

A memorable trip down south for a Jersey corps, good times!

J

I remember you guys hustling off the buses, in street clothes, to do that Friday night concert. Not an easy trip down, with the all-day rain.

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

I remember you guys hustling off the buses, in street clothes, to do that Friday night concert. Not an easy trip down, with the all-day rain.

We were late because we had a blown bus tire a few hours outside of WS, we would have been on time if not for that. We did the gig in street clothes and hung over from the festivities which started at 5 am that morning🍺when we left Ridgefield Park NJ.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HBD said:

We were late because we had a blown bus tire a few hours outside of WS, we would have been on time if not for that. We did the gig in street clothes and hung over from the festivities which started at 5 am that morning🍺when we left Ridgefield Park NJ.

Yep... I remember you guys apologizing for being late, but for a corps that basically ran into the venue with little or no warmup... you knocked it out of the park. 

That LMS show was one of the most fun emcee jobs I've ever done.  Had a great time that entire weekend. It sucks that the weather didn't cooperate. But having free Chick-Fil-A up in the press box Saturday night helped ease that pain a bit. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2019 at 11:53 AM, Jeff Ream said:

The Whole Winston Salem experiment in 2005 was to broaden that base. yes it rained before the show was to start, but $40+ tickets prices for 6 corps in a market no one knew about DCA....what did they expect? They got maybe 3000 people in a mid size NCAA stadium that made the crowd look tiny.

So how does that compare to, say, 2018 DCA finals ticket sales?

30 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I’d be interested in 2019 sales compared to 2018. Some of the folks UP around my age not happy with lack of railing for one thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

equal at best....for 2018.

given the lack of marketing DCA does, the NE hardly knows about them, let alone other regions

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’d be interested in 2019 sales compared to 2018. Some of the folks UP around my age not happy with lack of railing for one thing.

It’s dangerous.  The aisles are very narrow and you just pray you make it to the top without being knocked down by someone coming down the other way. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s dangerous.  The aisles are very narrow and you just pray you make it to the top without being knocked down by someone coming down the other way. 

And with the average audience age..... glad I was planning on Internet feed anyway that weekend

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 5:46 PM, HBD said:

The only downer was the "Evil" sponsor  of the LMS on Friday night "forgot" to pay the corps their fee for performing, It was months until the corps got their promised fee, sometime late fall of 2005.

But we all got to play Georgia together ❤️ and I had a blast talking to Kelly Houpt. I still have video somewhere of us playing the mass Georgia thing.