North Canton, OH - Saturday, June 22, 2019

All four shows would be better, in my opinion, if they cut out their prerecorded voice.

Also are Cadets amplifying the whole brass section? There were nine microphones aimed at the field between the 40s, and at times it sure sounded like the whole corps was being pumped thorugh the speakers. I thought, when DCI decided not to limit the use of brass amplification in the 2018 Januals, that there was a statement about how designers made assurances that they wouldn't abuse that tool.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kevingamin said:

I don't have the best vantage point, but RHR is cooking with gas on the charts. Very Blue Devils with Johnny One Note and Since I Fell For You.

posted from the DrumScorps app

For a SoundSport group, Rogues Hollow Regiment, was pretty darn good, if still rough, and a great way to open the evening.

• Like 2

The stadium is much smaller than Massillon's, but like Massillon a lot of the stands have a roof, and that meant overall the sound up top, where I was sitting, was painfully loud at times.

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Where's kevingamin?

Once he got to the stands, he was sitting, coindentally, just a few spots over from me.

• Like 1

For the sake of discussion...

Slotting means 2 different things to different people.

A. Slotting means (to most) the application of a placement prior to adjudication (this is the misunderstood, nefarious definition... that actually isn't true).

B. Slotting ACTUALLY means... drum roll...

numbers management.

Slotting is merely the unavoidable practice of comparison as numbers are being assigned.  It's why we can't really compare (faithfully) numbers between different shows on the same night.  And it's why scores will occasionally bounce a significant value from one night to the next while the placement order stays the same (especially when a high placing group takes an early performance time in a lineup).

Okay...

Now fight!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

I don't remember people babying David and telling him "You can beat Goliath, we believe in you!". Besides if sports has taught me anything hating Boston just makes them more powerful.

In objective scored sports, the Red Sox win or lose by how many runners cross home plate. It would be an entirely different competition, however, if their ranking in the MLB season was determined by being subjectively evaluated on how well they sashay around the bases.

We are two shows in. Everybody needs to settle down lol 

the gaps we think we see now could open up or vanish a week from now

then the first regional thing start to take shape

so far I’d say almost all the corps have improved over last season - an amazing thing

looking forward to watching things develop 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

[...]

B. Slotting ACTUALLY means... drum roll...

numbers management.

Slotting is merely the unavoidable practice of comparison as numbers are being assigned.  It's why we can't really compare (faithfully) numbers between different shows on the same night.  And it's why scores will occasionally bounce a significant value from one night to the next while the placement order stays the same (especially when a high placing group takes an early performance time in a lineup)

Speaking of numbers management, I'll take this moment to say, as I do once or twice every year, that either early season scores and late season scores are determined using wildly different criteria, or, as I would argue, that early season scores are way too low.

If you put Boston's or Bluecoats' shows from tonight in a time machine and dropped them into championship prelims in August, no way are they scoring behind a corps like, say, Legends, who will probably earn a number in the mid to high 70s that night. Which means that the "real" scores tonight are already in the low 80s: a top corps is improving by about 15 points in "real" quality over the course of a season. But no way can the judges manage distinctions that fine. So everybody starts out far below what they would earn for the exact same performance in August.

Anyway, I personally would have put Boston on top tonight.

Bluecoats simultaneously move and play very little. Yes, that strategy worked out very well for SCV last year and BD the year before, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Still, all the shows were clearly rough drafts with much to be filled in.

• Like 4