What happened to Madison?

People move on to different corps for a variety of reasons. I did, because I wanted to be challenged, have different experiences, and be a part of an organization that was a better culture fit. Last I checked, members pay for the privilege to play. The experience they get out of that time and investment is just as important. No one should feel obligated to march with one corps out of some misguided sense of loyalty.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Could you imagine the nuclear fallout on DCP if BD was to fall from grace, struggle to make finals than cry for a redshirt program to retain the members they have? 

Currently they would fight against it. Much of their success over the years has come from the members recieving experience at other WC corps which were used as stepping stools. By the way, it is well known on DCP how much I despised the G7 proposal, co-authored by BD, which would have relegated most all other WC corps even farther into becoming feeders for the 7.

19 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

People move on to different corps for a variety of reasons. I did, because I wanted to be challenged, have different experiences, and be a part of an organization that was a better culture fit. Last I checked, members pay for the privilege to play. The experience they get out of that time and investment is just as important. No one should feel obligated to march with one corps out of some misguided sense of loyalty.

You are not factoring in that this is actually an organization for youth competition not education. Last I checked, the DCI non profit status says nothing about being an actual educational organization with an educational exemption, but is listed as a youth competitive league like the Little League World Series. And with competition, rules which benifit equibility of recruitment and retention amongst the various teams must be maintained.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

You are not factoring in that this is actually an organization for youth competition not education. Last I checked, the DCI non profit status says nothing about being an actual educational organization with an educational exemption, but is listed as a youth competitive league like the Little League World Series. And with competition, rules which benifit equibility of recruitment and retention amongst the various teams must be maintained.

You’re essentially arguing in support of holding kids hostage at the first world class corps they’re accepted to and not letting them just march where they want to march.

It would create all sorts of unnecessary drama. If kids want to move on, let them. The alternative would just result in a handful of “super open class” corps that smoke half of world class every year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

"Losers always whine about doing their best. Winners go home and f### the prom queen." - John Mason (Sean Connery) from the movie The Rock.

"Carla was the prom queen." - Stanley Goodspeed (Nicolas Cage) in response.

(Sometimes the people who say they'll do their best are in fact the winners.)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

You’re essentially arguing in support of holding kids hostage at the first world class corps they’re accepted to and not letting them just march where they want to march.

It would create all sorts of unnecessary drama. If kids want to move on, let them. The alternative would just result in a handful of “super open class” corps that smoke half of world class every year.

Nope, not held hostage. Just a delay in the name of competitive equibility and fairness; sort of like the necessary rule of transfering from playing for number 16 Texas A&M to playing for number 1 Clemson.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Nope, not held hostage. Just a delay in the name of competitive equibility and fairness; sort of like the necessary rule of transfering from playing for number 16 Texas A&M to playing for number 1 Clemson.

Until DCI starts generating multi-million dollar profits with top tier student talent getting free rides to college and other undisclosed perks, you can’t compare it to NCAA Division I athletics.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Stu said:

I totally disagree with forced retention since it is the members who pay to march. If corps A does not provide a person an experience so that the person wants to stay, I see nothing wrong with that person leaving after the season to try out for corps B. It is incumbent on each corps to provide their members with an experience so that the bulk of the members want to stay.

Also, in the modern DCI world, current members are not always guaranteed a spot for the next year. They have to audition all over again. Your proposed forced membership rule makes no sense, since if a member gets cut from corps A they'd have to sit out a year before they can audition for corps B.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

"Carla was the prom queen." - Stanley Goodspeed (Nicolas Cage) in response.

(Sometimes the people who say they'll do their best are in fact the winners.)

The point, also indicated in the movie, is that by definition winning is doing the best, not just doing 'your' best, but doing 'the' best. Loosers try, and are happy that they tried; but winners both try and win, and they hate trying and losing.

4 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Until DCI starts generating multi-million dollar profits with top tier student talent getting free rides to college and other undisclosed perks, you can’t compare it to NCAA Division I athletics.

Ok, compare it to Little League Baseball, which has the same non profit desognation as DCI, but also has transfer rules and regulations like academic sports.

Edited by Stu