What happened to Madison?

19 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Regionalize the activity and require corps membership from people within the corps region. 

This is not only impractical at this time with so few corps, there is simply no wide appeal of the activity to support doing so. The fact that DCI can get members to pay money to participate in a summer activity and forego paying jobs and internships during the summer is amazing at this day and age.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Thanks 1

The whole notion of penalizing members for moving to another corps is silly. The comparison to NCAA athletes is even sillier and the many reasons why have been stated in this forum ad infinitum.

A better analogy than an athlete might be a student who opts to transfer to another University. Whatever her motivation, if she meets the academic requirements, pays the tuition, and the new school has an opening, she's in.

A young person who does not stay with one corps is not disloyal or somehow lacking in character. Whatever the reason for moving on, shouldn't we be grateful they are still choosing to commit time, talent, and treasure to drum corps? 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, drumcorpsfever said:

This is not only impractical at this time with so few corps, there is simply no wide appeal of the activity to support doing so. The fact that DCI can get members to pay money to participate in a summer activity and forego paying jobs and internships during the summer is amazing at this day and age.

It's quite amazing really. When you think about it, corps should actually be paying members to march for them.  

The Cavaliers are having no problems recruiting or being all male. The problems with Madison are all in house and how they've become a caricature of themselves. If they stay on the current path that they are on; they will become the next Pioneer within a few or five years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

The Cavaliers are having no problems recruiting or being all male. The problems with Madison are all in house and how they've become a caricature of themselves. If they stay on the current path that they are on; they will become the next Pioneer within a few or five years. 

It's been what, 13 years since a championship?

I completely agree on your Madison assessment. 

30 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Regionalize the activity and require corps membership from people within the corps region. 

So your solution is to force kids to march with a floundering corps since they can't seem to recruit talent by themselves?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

I don't think big government style oversight is needed. 

Maybe it's time for Madison and Rosemont to open up to female membership. I think back in the day (pre-2008), when drum corps required more brut strength and athleticism, having an all male corps was an advantage. Now, that type of physicality is not required and you are losing out on a lot of talented female musicians. 

The Cavaliers are doing just fine as an all male corps. I would hate to see them lose that part of their identity to appease the faux-equality pushers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

"Here is something that should be should alarm bells off for everyone concerned about Madison.   They did not have enough folks AUDITION for guard to fill all of the spots this year. They had to beg former members back; not star performers, but any available body to fill a hole.  They had to offer folks "scholarships" in order to have the size guard they ended up with.  (Which results in reduced revenue, which is another problem)."

I'd be less than happy if I was a Dues Paying member who auditioned, earned a spot, and traveled to all the camps only to have guard members recruited and paid to be members a week before the season started. That could be a huge morale destroyer and cancer between the sections. Especially when they start looking at score sheets. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

I don't think big government style oversight is needed. 

Maybe it's time for Madison and Rosemont to open up to female membership. I think back in the day (pre-2008), when drum corps required more brut strength and athleticism, having an all male corps was an advantage. Now, that type of physicality is not required and you are losing out on a lot of talented female musicians. 

Really? Could you explain the bolded statement a little bit more about how that type of physicality is not required? please and thanks!

• Thanks 4

29 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

It's quite amazing really. When you think about it, corps should actually be paying members to march for them.  

Actually when you think about it, paying members to March is ridiculous and would end the activity.