New Rule for the next conference

18 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I had the opportunity to see all of the World Class Corps perform this past weekend in Texas.  While I truly enjoyed every performance, there was one thing that really bothered me.  The amount of pre-recorded singing was embarrassing for a musical performance.  It was like going to a Milli Vanilli concert.  How is it that we can have over 100 musicians perform live and yet we have to listen to pre-recorded vocals?  My suggestion is as follows:

All music is to be performed live.  Sync should be limited to "effects" and spoken word.  All singing, playing of music is to be performed live.

Thoughts?

Funny, that I have holding this same idea back to not take a shot at Bluecoats, but the Bluecoats show without Electronic assistance would sound very different. To my ears the only section of the show that is not electronically assisted is the Acapella Blackbird section in the Ballad. From my knowledge all lyrics being presented by the Bluecoats are pre-recorded vocals, Nothing is being sung live.

Surely the hornline is great, but they sound even better after being processed and enhanced by the addition of effects to the sound being produced.

There are being done at a very high level, but the biggest offenders of this are in fact Bluecoats, a Show that by and large is the favorite show of the year by many.

Edited by Glenn426
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Against 

Please defend your position.  I defended mine.

• Like 2

I totally get where you’re coming from, Old Corps Guy, but I have two arguments for you to consider:

1. I believe that for every use of pre-recorded vocals done wrong, there’s always one corps that gets it right every now and again. BK 2015 is one of my favorite examples of pre-recorded vocals done right in that they actually helped tremendously with the theme’s communication. A few others have done a nice job with these types of electronics in recent years.

2. It is a much, MUCH bigger risk to put a live singer on the field as opposed to pre-recorded voice. Go back and watch some of the shows from the past 5 or so years to use live vocals and you’ll notice some wild differences. Some were done correctly and blended well with the corps (e.g. BAC 2017, Bluecoats 2018), while others, with all due respect, just did not work (e.g. Troopers 2015, Crown 2017). For me, I would much rather hear pre-recorded vocals that are almost always reliably in tune and well blended than live vocals that involve lots of variables. Because of that, I am glad that next to no corps are using live vocals this year.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

6 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I totally get where you’re coming from, Old Corps Guy, but I have two arguments for you to consider:

2. It is a much, MUCH bigger risk to put a live singer on the field as opposed to pre-recorded voice. Go back and watch some of the shows from the past 5 or so years to use live vocals and you’ll notice some wild differences. Some were done correctly and blended well with the corps (e.g. BAC 2017, Bluecoats 2018), while others, with all due respect, just did not work (e.g. Troopers 2015, Crown 2017). For me, I would much rather hear pre-recorded vocals that are almost always reliably in tune and well blended than live vocals that involve lots of variables. Because of that, I am glad that next to no corps are using live vocals this year.

The risk is no different than a soloist on a horn.  I learned this first hand in my second year of marching drum corps.  I was a soloist and I got hit by a pike at the beginning of the show.  By the time my solo came up, I had a fat lip. My playing was weak to say the least and wasn't even heard by most of the crowd/judges. 

This is part of performing "live" and is a risk to use in any performance. Whether it is drum corps or a band playing a concert.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Poppycock said:

No! That’s all 

I expected more from you.  I have always respected your opinion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I had the opportunity to see all of the World Class Corps perform this past weekend in Texas.  While I truly enjoyed every performance, there was one thing that really bothered me.  The amount of pre-recorded singing was embarrassing for a musical performance.  It was like going to a Milli Vanilli concert.  How is it that we can have over 100 musicians perform live and yet we have to listen to pre-recorded vocals?  My suggestion is as follows:

All music is to be performed live.  Sync should be limited to "effects" and spoken word.  All singing, playing of music is to be performed live.

Thoughts?

GOTA BLAME IT ON SUMTTTEN. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I expected more from you.  I have always respected your opinion.

I think poppycock is full of bullpoppycock today. :lol:

Everyone has strong opinions on this subject. For me - I don't like the prerecorded stuff, I don't like the abuse of amplifications / mic up etc. 

Just me. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1