New Rule for the next conference

I'm fine with most of the electronics stuff, when used well. Some of the effects the Bluecoats and others create are amazing.

The main thing I don't care for... a corps using those front-sideline area mics to basically pump up the volume of their entire horn line.

Last year's Thursday semifinals cinecast... the Colts were really loud. Artificially loud, IMO.  I remember one of the show hosts (Dennis, Steve, I forget who) making an oblique reference to how....uhhhh... loud they were. LOL

If you have, what... anywhere from 60 to 80 well-trained brass players, do you really need to enhance their volume?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

pretty sure the field judges would be able to spot that in a second, even from the safe zone

The Rules don't allow for pre-recorded audio of the horns and drums?

The Bluecoats currently have a two bar Trumpet/Mello ostinato running when the Trumpets come off the platforms in the Opener  and the beginning of the Second song starts with this pre-recorded ostinato as well.

Is it because its considered a sound effect that its allowed? It certainly does sound like something that has been pre-recorded in Ideal Acoustic conditions with added effects. Does it cross that Music / Sound effect border?

Edited by Glenn426

2 hours ago, dark-helmet said:

I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I saw the bluecoats hornline lean in on the 50 and more sound was coming from the 30.  To have the hornlines some of the corps have and misuse the amps the way they do is offensive.  

This happens with a lot of corps, and it’s just plain sloppy sound work.

If what we are hearing is in a different place) from what we are seeing, it should be a GE deduction. I HATE searching for the soloist. 

59 minutes ago, StuStu said:

The rules for Indiana indoor percussion (and perhaps WGI, havent read those rules) requires that any sound with "rhythmic intent" be generated or triggered by a performer.  I think that's a good balance.  Anything verbal has to be played syllable by syllable 

the problem is enforcing it. The assigned judge to catch it would literally have to stand on top of the synth player to see if keyed in time or just pressing one button and standing back. 

18 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

The Rules don't allow for pre-recorded audio of the horns and drums?

The Bluecoats currently having a two bar Trumpet/Mello ostinato running when the Trumpets come off the platforms in the Opener  and the beginning of the Second song starts with this pre-recorded ostinato as well.

Is it because its considered a sound effect that its allowed? It certainly does sound like something that has been pre-recorded in Ideal Acoustic conditions with added effects. Does it cross that Music / Sound effect border?

currently the rules allow for whatever.

but if the judges can tell no one is actually playing but hear the sounds, what credit for content do you get? the only judge that would truly be able to credit it would be GE

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

the problem is enforcing it. The assigned judge to catch it would literally have to stand on top of the synth player to see if keyed in time or just pressing one button and standing back. 

I am sure there are a number of Super Snoops on DCP who would volunteer for the job provided that they were given a free DCI judges' shirt and the chance for a photo with Tony DiCarlo.

4 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I am sure there are a number of Super Snoops on DCP who would volunteer for the job provided that they were given a free DCI judges' shirt and the chance for a photo with Tony DiCarlo.

yes thats what DCI needs, non affiliated people trolling around at rehearsals or the lot, or hacking electronic communications to see if someone is trying to cheat.:doh:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

yes thats what DCI needs, non affiliated people trolling around at rehearsals or the lot, or hacking electronic communications to see if someone is trying to cheat.:doh:

not letting them have their photo op with Tony doesn't mean the value of your picture with him goes up in price.    (My sarcasm button was on/is on.)

7 minutes ago, xandandl said:

not letting them have their photo op with Tony doesn't mean the value of your picture with him goes up in price.    (My sarcasm button was on/is on.)

I got the sarcasm. many on here wouldn't

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Under the current rules can a Corps take it one step further & record the brass & percussion under ideal acoustic conditions & just sync fake drumming & brass playing to the the recording?

or what Phantom is currently doing, mixing in the previously recorded version with the live corps....