New Rule for the next conference

11 minutes ago, dark-helmet said:

I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I saw the bluecoats hornline lean in on the 50 and more sound was coming from the 30.  To have the hornlines some of the corps have and misuse the amps the way they do is offensive.  Honestly it might be time to retire the brass altogether and have 154 dancers.  (kidding)

I do agree that it’s strange to hear a solo.coming out of those speaker stacks in front of you and looking around to see who is playing.   

• Like 1

It's going to be really hard to set the appropriate limits on what a lot of people are talking about for mic'd up horn lines, amplifications, etc..  But the OP said prerecording singing without mentioning all those other factors. What gets complicated is if the rule would be prerecorded "vocals", "singing" or "effects". I'm not arguing for or against, just trying to break it down with an example and how the shows would have needed to be different.  

Looking at Bostons recent shows as an example (IMO the Hamilton rap is classified as singing):

2017 had prerecorded spoken word throughout ("wicked", "Get her"; "now she burns") and live singing (wicked games).  Both would be allowed under this suggestion.

2018 had prerecorded singing (amazing grace) and live singing (opening).  Only the opening would be permitted with Amazing grace not permitted.

2019 has prerecorded spoken word (opening) and prerecorded singing from Hamilton (My Shot).  I don't think there is any live vocals elsewhere in the show but I could be wrong.  My shot would not be allowed under this suggestion. 

I think there's an argument that having prerecorded singing played is still art and can have a place in the marching arts, but if it were to be banned, you can see from above that two of the last three Boston shows would have had to be designed differently with the biggest change coming in the 2019 production.  

Edited by Den8uml

3 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

It's going to be really hard to set the appropriate limits on what a lot of people are talking about for mic'd up horn lines, amplifications, etc..  But the OP said prerecording singing without mentioning all those other factors. What gets complicated is if the rule would be prerecorded "vocals", "singing" or "effects". I'm not arguing for or against, just trying to break it down with an example and how the shows would have needed to be different.  

Looking at Bostons recent shows as an example (IMO the Hamilton rap is classified as singing):

2017 had prerecorded spoken word throughout ("wicked", "Get her"; "now she burns") and live singing (wicked games).  Both would be allowed under this suggestion.

2018 had prerecorded singing (amazing grace) and live singing (opening).  Only the opening would be permitted with Amazing grace not permitted.

2019 has prerecorded spoken word (opening) and prerecorded singing from Hamilton (My Shot).  I don't think there is any live vocals elsewhere in the show but I could be wrong.  My shot would not be allowed under this suggestion. 

I think there's an argument that having prerecorded singing played is still art and can have a place in the marching arts, but if it were to be banned, you can see from above two of the last three Boston shows would have had to be designed differently with the biggest change coming in the 2019 production.  

Thank you for providing a clear example of my suggestion.  Yes, some of what is shown above would not be permitted.  That is not necessarily a bad thing, just a need to adapt.

• Like 1

The rules for Indiana indoor percussion (and perhaps WGI, havent read those rules) requires that any sound with "rhythmic intent" be generated or triggered by a performer.  I think that's a good balance.  Anything verbal has to be played syllable by syllable 

• Like 2

So far, only one or two people have disagreed with me and even they started to come around "a little".:fight::starwars::grouphug::thumbup:

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Funny, that I have holding this same idea back to not take a shot at Bluecoats, but the Bluecoats show without Electronic assistance would sound very different. To my ears the only section of the show that is not electronically assisted is the Acapella Blackbird section in the Ballad. From my knowledge all lyrics being presented by the Bluecoats are pre-recorded vocals, Nothing is being sung live.

Surely the hornline is great, but they sound even better after being processed and enhanced by the addition of effects to the sound being produced.

There are being done at a very high level, but the biggest offenders of this are in fact Bluecoats, a Show that by and large is the favorite show of the year by many.

it's funny how everyone last year was complaining about bluecoats focusing on a live singer and this year the complaint is that they aren't using a live singer...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bluecoats88 said:

it's funny how everyone last year was complaining about bluecoats focusing on a live singer and this year the complaint is that they aren't using a live singer...

That's not it at all.  While Bluecoats are a prime example of using pre-recorded vocals this year, the issue has been growing each year.  The Marching Arts are a performance based activity and to depend on pre-recorded musicians removes some of the "performance" by musicians.

My OP was activity based and not single corps based.

4 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I had the opportunity to see all of the World Class Corps perform this past weekend in Texas.  While I truly enjoyed every performance, there was one thing that really bothered me.  The amount of pre-recorded singing was embarrassing for a musical performance.  It was like going to a Milli Vanilli concert.  How is it that we can have over 100 musicians perform live and yet we have to listen to pre-recorded vocals?  My suggestion is as follows:

All music is to be performed live.  Sync should be limited to "effects" and spoken word.  All singing, playing of music is to be performed live.

Thoughts?

never happen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Under the current rules can a Corps take it one step further & record the brass & percussion under ideal acoustic conditions & just sync fake drumming & brass playing to the the recording?

pretty sure the field judges would be able to spot that in a second, even from the safe zone

• Like 2