Allentown, Field of Dreams

2 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

This works for me at both JBC and Whitewater.  I have marched/taught for both locations.  I also attended UW Whitewater.

Well done.

Whitewater has bigger mosquitoes on that Kettle Moraine marsh.  And then there was the tornado at the Finals retreat of the first DCI championship...

• Like 1

This is awesome, well written!!! Love JBC and now my daughters who play trumpet in a college marching band and I make this trip to our favorite stadium every year. Was the first place they were ever exposed to the marching arts and have played trumpet since the fall following their 1st experience  (11 years ago). They never marched in a corps but love all the pageantry that DCI has to offer and this is one of the highlights of the summer!!

• Like 1

To the OP: Wonderful!!! Very well said. 

I've attended a handful of DCI East shows... nowhere near the amount that many people have. But I can easily understand why it is a pilgrimage for so many. There is magic in the air there!!!

Had the privilege of announcing "East" the two years it was in Philly while JBC was being renovated. I had a great time... but the show belongs in Allentown.

Most of my JBC memories are from the DCA side, as either a marching member or announcer at the DCA championship show. I'm proud to say I have never lost a show there!!! Six shows with the Long Island Sunrisers  (prelims and finals in 1977, '78, and '82)... and six wins.

• Like 3

Just to be clear, this is taken from the climactic moment of the movie 'Field of Dreams.' I realize that many if not most will have known this already, but a couple of comments on the DCP Facebook made me worry that perhaps some might have thought I wrote it myself and that I was representing it that way. I neglected to consider that many may never have seen or even heard of the movie. I simply adapted Terrence Mann's speech, as performed by James Earl Jones, because it sums up my feelings towards Allentown. I miss it. It's been too long.

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 1

One of my favorite drum corps memories was at J Birney Crum, but not a show. Cadets rehearsed there my last season, it was about this time of year and it was so hot and humid, that night you couldn’t see the press box because of the moisture hanging in the air. 

I powered through the rehearsal day and that night’s run-through was he first time, after all the work and effort, that I felt like I really mastered the show. The feeling of accomplishment was huge and something I look back upon

First and second Finals I was ever in (DCA side) at JBC then as Corps was rebuilding again did Pre-Finals exhibition filling in an Honor Guard spot. Then when not marching going to DCA prelims with sister and being home in time for supper. Annnnd 1979 corps stopped for a few hours to watch DCI East prelims on way to a show that turned into a monsoon.

and if no one said it... home of the Huskies.... or Fighting Canaries

Edited by JimF-LowBari