YEA / Cadets Injury Lawsuit

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Everyone but the author of their mission statement:

If they had said the mission was to make magnificent human beings by running a highly competitive DCI corps come hell or high water, then it would be clear.  Without that, they need a BOD with majority Cadet alumni (currently 4 of 7) to ensure the corps remains the priority.

Ok, you're right. YEA! is the priority.

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Everyone but the author of their mission statement:

If they had said the mission was to make magnificent human beings by running a highly competitive DCI corps come hell or high water, then it would be clear.  Without that, they need a BOD with majority Cadet alumni (currently 4 of 7) to ensure the corps remains the priority.

i think it's safe to say everything done and being done is all about saving the Cadets. 

But I did look at the bands site and saw a few regular names not participating last year. using their calculator, that's a few grand in fees lost

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i think it's safe to say everything done and being done is all about saving the Cadets. 

But I did look at the bands site and saw a few regular names not participating last year. using their calculator, that's a few grand in fees lost

I guess we'll find out soon when we see the 990 ( I keep wanting to type 1099, I think I have numeral dyslexia ).

1 hour ago, cybersnyder said:

I guess we'll find out soon when we see the 990 ( I keep wanting to type 1099, I think I have numeral dyslexia ).

well..the indoor programs long gone. C2 gone. all the focus on bands to create revenue. all the additional fundraising and alumni stuff to help raise funds. a few lawsuits, a huge deficit...i can't see where else money would be for.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well..the indoor programs long gone. C2 gone. all the focus on bands to create revenue. all the additional fundraising and alumni stuff to help raise funds. a few lawsuits, a huge deficit...i can't see where else money would be for.

There was a post somewhere stating that they lost $7-800k in revenue from the competitions. Was that factual or speculation?

14 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

There was a post somewhere stating that they lost $7-800k in revenue from the competitions. Was that factual or speculation?

to my understanding that was the total deficit.

27 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

to my understanding that was the total deficit.

Here is where I saw it:

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/drum-corps-george-hopkins-sexual-misconduct-allentown-20181116.html

The lawsuit claims $850k in lost fees and ticket sales.

"It claims numerous bands did not participate this year because of Hopkins' association with US Bands, resulting in lost fees and ticket sales totaling nearly $850,000."

2 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

Here is where I saw it:

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/drum-corps-george-hopkins-sexual-misconduct-allentown-20181116.html

The lawsuit claims $850k in lost fees and ticket sales.

"It claims numerous bands did not participate this year because of Hopkins' association with US Bands, resulting in lost fees and ticket sales totaling nearly $850,000."

even with what they charge, that seems an awful lot. now if that affected sponsorships, maybe i could see it

40 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

even with what they charge, that seems an awful lot. now if that affected sponsorships, maybe i could see it

I didn't even notice, but the PDF document is just below the paragraph where I saw that figure. The counterclaim starts on page 23. They claim $375,000 lost from lost sponsorships.  The $850,000 number is revenue, not profit, so it's possible, although unlikely, that they lost revenue but didn't lose profit. I'm not sure of the status of the case because I believe the civil case was settled earlier this year and would have dismissed the counterclaims unless there were completely incompetent lawyers involved. But this case was filed in federal court and can be reopened in state court.

5 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

I didn't even notice, but the PDF document is just below the paragraph where I saw that figure. The counterclaim starts on page 23. They claim $375,000 lost from lost sponsorships.  The $850,000 number is revenue, not profit, so it's possible, although unlikely, that they lost revenue but didn't lose profit. I'm not sure of the status of the case because I believe the civil case was settled earlier this year and would have dismissed the counterclaims unless there were completely incompetent lawyers involved. But this case was filed in federal court and can be reopened in state court.

Don't forget, every lawsuit is written to maximize the side of the group filing the suit. I would guess that they put every missing revenue penny in there as a counter to Hopkins' suit against them, which would have been written to maximize HIS side of the story.