YEA / Cadets Injury Lawsuit

56 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

you do realize in some instances, no matter what they do, right or wrong in the real world, may not satisfy people right? In some cases the only thing that wiull satisfy people is a pile of cash. that's not always the right thing.

Very true 

3 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

On the slip and fall my guess is if they just would have even acted like they cared about the guy and made sure the insurance was taking care of the issue and, I don't know, paid him for his services, that would have been the end of it. Even in cases where they want money there is a way to handle it and not handle it....they did not handle it well. Just admit it and move on....geeze.

Now, with the issue of them not fully paying, or paying late, their staff from this summer the ineptitude of the past administration continues to come front and center.

I hope they get things straightened out, I really do. The Cadet supporters all burying their head in the sand and screaming everyone is out to get us isn't a healthy path to take towards that goal.

All you have seen from the slip and fall event is what the guy is saying in his filing. Of course he is making it look as bad as possible for YEA!. That is the purpose of what he filed. Nobody really knows what YEA! did and did not do, only what the person alleges to make his own case as strong as he can to try and make a bunch of $$$$. 

On the payment issue, yes, it stinks that the cash flow is such that some staff have not yet been paid from the 2019 season. Don't forget, what started this is an email FROM the YEA! admin to the staff acknowledging that they owe the people money, and that they will be paying as soon as they can. They were not covering anything up or trying to stiff the tech staff. With USBands season here, my guess is the cash flow aspect will be better in the fall. Just a guess. 

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

All you have seen from the slip and fall event is what the guy is saying in his filing. Of course he is making it look as bad as possible for YEA!. That is the purpose of what he filed. Nobody really knows what YEA! did and did not do, only what the person alleges to make his own case as strong as he can for try and make a bunch of $$$$. 

On the payment issue, yes, it stinks that the cash flow is such that some staff have not yet been paid from the 2019 season. Don't forget, what started this is an email FROM the YEA! admin to the staff acknowledging that they owe the people money, and that they will be paying as soon as they can. They were not covering anything up or trying to stiff the tech staff. With USBands season here, my guess is the cash flow aspect will be better in the fall. Just a guess. 

People are acting like it's something new in the activity. Maybe lets talk about corps ( some ) who NEVER paid people who should have been. Corps that made promises only to make some lame excuses why it never happened, Some of the same corps who ( because of some fortune only in the past several years NOW think they are the play book for how to do things when only a few years ago were doing the same thing.

Is it right? Of course not. Should Cadets pony up to their commitment? YES but lets not jump on the Cadets as if many of peoples favorites have been guilty of the exact same thing.

When you have been around long enough IN the activity, actively participating, there are plenty of stories to go around .  Just sayin

• Like 5

5 hours ago, tesmusic said:

I know nothing of the legal system. Are cases usually moved around this much?

Yes - quite common.  They are going through discovery and various motions.  Once all this is complete they have to coordinate the schedules of the judge, prosecutor, & defense counsel.   And there are other cases ahead of it in line going through the same process.   

One thing to watch - the closer it gets to trial, the more harsh any sentence from a plea bargain is likely to be.  Typically the more work a prosecutor puts in, the bigger the penalty.  

I have a gut feeling on how this is going to play out, but I don't want to say because it is speculative.  I wish there was a way I could write it & seal in some sort of electronic envelope that can be opened when the legal process s complete.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
more guardhouse lawyering
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes - quite common.  They are going through discovery and various motions.  Once all this is complete they have to coordinate the schedules of the judge, prosecutor, & defense counsel.   And there are other cases ahead of it in line going through the same process.   

One thing to watch - the closer it gets to trial, the more harsh any sentence from a plea bargain is likely to be.  Typically the more work a prosecutor puts in, the bigger the penalty.  

I have a gut feeling on how this is going to play out, but I don't want to say because it is speculative.  I wish there was a way I could write it & seal in some sort of electronic envelope that can be opened when the legal process s complete.

You could message me and I’ll memorialize it.  Then when you’re right, I’ll start crowing and singing your praises.  😂 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, MikeD said:

All you have seen from the slip and fall event is what the guy is saying in his filing. Of course he is making it look as bad as possible for YEA!. That is the purpose of what he filed. Nobody really knows what YEA! did and did not do, only what the person alleges to make his own case as strong as he can to try and make a bunch of $$$$. 

Wonder if USBands exacerbates August/September cash flow in a unique manner.  If there are upfront expenses now, is there revenue coming in to match it, or must they wait until October/November to realize their profit?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Wonder if USBands exacerbates August/September cash flow in a unique manner.  If there are upfront expenses now, is there revenue coming in to match it, or must they wait until October/November to realize their profit?

I wonder if Cadets & USBands revenue / expenses within YEA are in one big pot (co-mingled) or are they kept separate?  I seem to remember something from an accounting class taken many years ago that 'if you have several different businesses keep separate books for each'.

8 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I wonder if Cadets & USBands revenue / expenses within YEA are in one big pot (co-mingled) or are they kept separate?  I seem to remember something from an accounting class taken many years ago that 'if you have several different businesses keep separate books for each'.

Was thinking same thing with Uncle Sam and his different “pots of money” each with a certain amount and marked for specific things. And second thought is USBands has its own expenses and might not have that much excess revenue. Third thought... are Cadets, YEA and USBands non profits? Might have an impact on shifting money 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

it depends i am guessing on when the membership and event registration fees show up. Plus they had to cancel the Texas event due to the weather issues, so they may have lost some money on that